1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Stats] Tracking DFG% of Rockets Defenders: Truth vs. Reputation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bushies, Nov 19, 2014.

1. bushies

bushies Member

I haven't checked out the official stats site (stats.nba.com) much before now, but it's chock-full of really interesting, emerging stats (thanks to new SportsVU camera tech) that give us an idea of how good players are at specific things (as opposed to the rehearsed reputations announcers repeat back to us (that don't change when the facts change)).

For comparison, Tony Allen of the Grizzlies is a god on the defensive end at -7.9% overall (this is compared to a shooter's average FG percentage). This is head and shoulders above other perimeter stoppers, based on these (admittedly small sample-sized) stats. I found it surprising Pat Bev, even in his 4-5 games played, isn't effecting opp. FG% more than +0.4% overall.

Also, J-Hard's a very good perimeter defender at -3% overall while giving up 11.4% near the basket. (I find that latter percentage somewhat surprising, considering he should be feeding drivers into Dwight, who at -4.9% within 6 ft is merely decent, not elite). He's definitely prone to reach-arounds/cheating, though. Still, -3% overall I'll take any day.

One stat that's surprising if you saw him fail to rotate properly or defend without fouling these past couple of years: D-Mo is -12.7% overall, and -18% at less than 6 ft. This definitely matches the eye test. I think he'd qualify as an underrated asset should Morey trade him. Finally, T-Riz is still rated better than C-Par, but +1.2% overall doesn't justify his lock-down defender reputation, imo.

Thoughts? Other surprising stats you've noticed?

2. NotChandlerParsons

My early impression of these statistics is that they are, unfortunately, still quite dependent on team defense. There's something to be said for being in position to challenge shots, even if you don't reduce the completion % by quite as much or whatever.

Nylon Calculus is the best site I have found on this of guys trying to derive useful information from this info. Still early days.

Here's one on rim protection: http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/11/13/early-returns-rim-protection/ Both Jones and Motiejunas are doing well.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Ariza has been very good defensively.