1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA looking to expand its usage of instant replay

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AzNaNsZ, Oct 4, 2008.

1. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

saw this on espn hopefully it goes through so we can catch floppers like Kirilenko and stop the BS calls of yao

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3624954

2. PktRockets

PktRockets Member

This is a good idea, but i feel that they should also implement a challenge system like in tennis. For example, each team could have one challenge per quarter on any questionable call. This would also put the refs on their toes, and reduce the number of bogus calls. Right now, even if they use more instant replays, it doesnt mean that every foul will be reviewed. The review are done at the refs discretion, so it might not improve calls on floppers or bs fouls on Yao. Anyhow, this is moving towards the right direction.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I would love to see the NBA extend replay to out of bounds calls...and to give coaches the option to challenge.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

more than that, the NFL rules on this topic are really good.

give coaches the option of challenging any play. if they are correct then the call is reversed. if they are wrong then charge them a timeout.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

of course, agreed.
    [​IMG]

Makes sense. They can also get charged a team foul or delay of game, or something against them if they get it wrong and hold up the game. Though taking away a timeout is the easiest to enforce.

Basketball needs to be played with constant movement, so I dont think every play can be challenged. Is a traveling call or double dribble reviewable enough without drastically messing up the flow of the game? Are basic fouls reviewable enough to overturn? But the NBA isn't a big pick up game either, how in pickup ball people let things go just so play doesnt stop.

6. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

well there are already too many stoppages and breaks during the game... as long as they really do keep those reviews for time outs and between quarters... it will be unbearlb eto watch if every second play they pause for a huddle session around their little monitor trying to figure out each call.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I was really hoping this would be the case. But 1 per half is enough. Even 1 per quarter is too much ...cause that means a total of 8 stoppages.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just use those as commercial breaks. They are having too many commercial breaks now.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well when i said coaches should be allowed to challenge any play. i meant they should be able to use their one challenge whenever they wanted. they should not have more than one per game. game flow is very important in basketball.