1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Is Rigged? Fan Shows Some Suspect Proof The NBA Needs Lakers In The Playoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LAFIRMA22, Apr 2, 2013.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

they were swept the following season by the eventual champion Mavs.

under Coach Phil Jackson

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Again, how did the NBA benefit? How did this affect their bottom line where they would risk EVERYTHING for the benefit of the Lakers beating the Celtics? I just don't see why the league would risk a criminal investigation, Congress coming down on them, most of their entire fandom vilifying them, and numerous other negative consequences, so Phil Jackson can get another ring and even up their all time WC series with Boston.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I personally don't think the Draft Lottery is rigged. People point to specific evidence of "fishy" activity, but never acknowledge the stuff that doesn't seem "fishy". I didn't hear anybody complaining when the Rockets got the first pick with only a 8.9% chance....

However...having said that...if the NBA wanted to eliminate conspiracy theories for the lottery, they could just do the ping pong balls on live television. Nobody could argue with that...

4. clippy

clippy Member

Without officially interacting with the refs (involving many people in a grand, elaborate conspiracy), the NBA cannot decide what happens. It can only encourage results through favorable assignments. In 2011, the Lakers were simply a far worse team than the Mavs (who were way better than anyone gave them credit for)-- they got blown out in I think 3/4 of the games.

If the league had its way, the Lakers would be in every Finals because they are the the team everyone watches (for love or hate). But they don't have their way-- the Lakers have only been in half of the Finals.

5. clippy

clippy Member

There was no risk for the NBA because they didn't overtly rig the game in the predetermined, WWF sense. They simply put a ref in place who has generally had a pattern of good results for the Lakers. It just seems odd that he got 3/7 games given the ref pool, and that everyone and their mom knew before game 7 that "Laker Joey" would be there.

6. bobrek

Yeah, I guess the league was really pushing those Minneapolis Lakers to reach the finals back in the 40s.

7. clippy

clippy Member

You don't find it strange that that Lakers have been in almost half of all NBA Finals? Can you find another sport where a team has had even close to that level of dominance?

8. bobrek

You are suggesting that Crawford would steer the game the Lakers way and that the NBA knew this so they purposely scheduled him to work game 7 because they wanted to the Lakers to win.

That is a HUGE risk if what you believe is actually true. Someone, somewhere in the league office would eventually leak the information that the NBA wanted the Lakers to win and since they can't rig the game, they did the next best thing.

9. bobrek

I do not find it strange that a team that has consistently had some of the greatest and most dominant players in NBA history have been in an inordinate amount of finals.

Why didn't the NBA want them in the finals for most of the 90s? What changed?

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

When you get players like Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Kobe, Shaq, Pau, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, George Mikan, James Worthy, among others...no...it's not that strange.

Is it shocking how consistently good they have been? Of course...but not for the reasons you're trying to imply.

11. clippy

clippy Member

It's not some huge group of people making these calls. I believe it comes down to Stu Jackson. Is it possible for a small group at the top to be corrupt? Well, it's certainly not unprecedented. I'm just telling you the facts-- the NBA has a pool of 12 refs for the Finals and they are supposed to all ref equally in a selection process that is allegedly randomized. And yet everyone knew JC would get the call in the most games, and especially in the critical game. You can find the thread on here where I called it ahead of time. Would that really be possible if the selection process were random?

Also, one ref has already come out saying that not everything was exactly as kosher as you seem to think.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

so, it's not rigged?

and they have gotten progressively worse. it's a sad state of NBA affairs in the league is giving them favorable assignments to eek out last minute victories against the likes of the Wolves and the Kings.

why did they never face the Bulls again after the 1991 Finals?

13. clippy

clippy Member

I encourage all of you to simply think about this analytically without worrying about being labeled a crackpot. Just look at the history of facts and come to your own conclusions.

Like I've said before, I don't personally think the system is overtly rigged-- where the league decides the story ahead of time and the whole thing is scripted. But I think there is indeed some rigging-- in fact, if you admit to such a thing as "superstar calls", you are agreeing with that because, by the rules, superstars should not receive more calls than anyone else. I'm certain that there are ref meetings where certain "off the record" ground rules are stated, such as protecting certain players.

As far as the Laker championships go, what I think has happened here is an avalanche effect. The Lakers were good early on, when the league was smaller, and then Magic/Bird continued the rivalry and saved the NBA. This produced a lot of Laker fans and Laker haters, and it's in the leagues best interest to cater to them. The ability to influence games from above really is something only available in the modern era because (outside of overt rigging through direct ref mandates, which is pretty risky), it relies on looking at statistics. This is particularly easy today, when all of this stuff is available not only to them, but to us as well. And when you crunch the numbers, as I did above, it doesn't add up like you want to believe.

To put it another way, if the people at the top knew they could improve the bottom line in a manner that was perfectly legal (but not necessarily ethical), don't you think it's possible they'd take advantage of this? By simply putting certain refs in place, they have this ability.

14. Eps

Eps Member

somehow stern is going to hire hollywood's top make-up artist.Get them to make him look like a middle aged ref. He will be refferring all the laker games. skipping around and calling fouls in favor of worldpeace and kobe. Instant Champions.

15. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I posted this in the rockets forum by accident...meant to post it here. Joey Crawford is a name that gets thrown around a lot in other forums including this one. Tim Donaghy, the ref that got jailed for corruption said that he wasn't the only ref doing what he was doing, and that there were SEVERAL others. he was the only one that got jailed and removed from the NBA. I'm not saying Joey C was a part of the group, but there is plenty of youtube evidence everywhere of this guys' ridiculous calls. Dont even mention the other refs.

16. basketballholic

Ken Mauer?

17. clippy

clippy Member

The fact that anyone who follows basketball knows the refs by name tells you a lot about the legitimacy of the sport. Are there any other sports where the refs are this much a part of the show?

18. Nextup

Nextup Member

Plenty of refs are on the take in all sports. Many times the team has to beat the other team and the refs as well. Donaghy was not the only dirty ref anybody who believes he was acting alone is naive. Don't worry sports fans because the outcomes of the games are not predetermined in most cases. What happens is the refs try their best to help whichever team they are working for in the particular game as much as possible without being obvious.Since they try not to be obvious it is possible for a team to win a game that is rigged against them if they play extremely well. The gamblers don't need to win every game they're more then happy to take their 80% Tim donaghy win percentages.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I was under the impression that the NBA rule was if it was a legitimate shot, than you can get the rebound. I have seen it called both ways though, in numerous games.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I dont know how the hell anyone can say the NBA doesn't do some level of encouraging for certain teams when you watch the Lakers-Blazers game 7 2000 WCF and the Lakers-Kings game 6 2002 WCF. It's pathetically obvious that had we ever met the Bulls in the finals, Dream would have fouled out by the 4th in every game. Eff the Lakers. Eff the Bulls. Eff the Heat. I hate these teams with a passion because of the way the NBA coddles them. We NEVER could buy a frigging call.