1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Fanhouse] Steve Nash Asked for Shaq to Be Traded

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vinsensual, Jun 26, 2009.

1. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't know about the reliability of fanhouse, but them not pulling the trigger on Amare to GSW makes you think theyre not blowing up the team just trying to shave off enough weight to still stay afloat in the west.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/25/steve-nash-asked-for-shaq-to-be-traded/

The trade of Shaquille O'Neal to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday was more than just a contract dump for the Phoenix Suns. It also was done to satisfy point guard Steve Nash.
    According to an NBA source, Nash expressed his displeasure with O'Neal during a meeting last week in New York with general manager Steve Kerr. Nash, still one of the best point guards in the NBA, will become a free agent after this season if the Suns can't sign him this summer to a contract extension. "I think he told him [Kerr] that if O'Neal was there, he wouldn't be around much longer,'' said the NBA source who requested his name not be used. "That pretty much sealed it.'' Nash had grown weary of O'Neal's inability to keep up with the fast-paced play that the Suns had been so successful with in the past and with O'Neal's demand to be a bigger part of the offense.
    The Suns shocked many around the NBA when they acquired O'Neal midway in the 2007-08 season, giving them a low-post presence that was contrary to the way they had been playing. They still won 55 games after he was acquired but lost in the first round of the playoffs. This season with O'Neal, they failed to reach the playoffs. O'Neal was in the final year of his contract that will pay him $20 million. Nash will be making $13 million this season.​

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]Nash had grown weary of O'Neal's inability to keep up with the fast-paced play that the Suns had been so successful with in the past and with O'Neal's demand to be a bigger part of the offense.[/rquoter]

Doesn't sound good for those of us wanting Nash on the Rockets.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Wonder when Shaq will bash Nash.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I have always said Nash is a good point guard, but is a GREAT PG when he gets to play his style.

I mean players like him do not just become MVPs that late into their careers, he was a good PG in dallas (I believe had some all-star campaigns there) but went into overdrive in phoenix when they played his fast paced, stats-inflated type of ball.

And with him being 36 playing a more methodical type of offense will just be bad for him.

Nash is a good player just not a good fit for these Rockets.

5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

so nash isn't going to budge from phoenix?

6. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Duh. That Shaq trade to Phoenix was an absolute disaster and anyone with a basketball brain knew it. I'd like to see the old thread from this bbs when that trade happend to see who was right and who was wrong. It was a complete disaster.

7. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

i love steve nash. hes awesome

8. MD_in_Training

Nash wants to continue playing run and gun basketball? He's dumber than I thought. Hasn't he realized that his beloved style of basketball can't win any championships?

9. Jimes

Jimes Member

They were a possible non-suspension away from winning it.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think we can all expect a "Nash, tell me how my ash tastes" rap after Cleveland wins the Finals next summer.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

get shaq out of here

okay

shaq we're getting rid of you, you have to go play with lebron now

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. Shaq has the most impressive resume of all time: Getting kicked out by two different MVPs. I wonder when the third will happen. :D

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't want to waste bandwidth to search. I joked at that time that being traded to the Suns would help prolong Shaq's career. By the time Shaq jogged to mid-court, his teammates would already have shot the ball so he just needed to run half the distance every time.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ok. So Kobe forces Shaq out of L.A. . . .makes Kobe a Jerk
    Nash forcing Shaq out of Pheonix . . .well . . NASH IS AWESOME!!
    :confused:

mmmmmmmKay

Rocket River

15. Vinsanity

And Wade pretty much didn't want him in Miami, if you remember.... He made a comment about Shaq being out of shape and not dedicated.

16. Vinsanity

They were a BS suspension away from winning the championship. They were the best team in the NBA that year, so yes the run and gun works. D'antoni will do it in NY as well once he gets the proper players. Just watch.

17. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Shaq really cramped his style. Steve Kerr should be slapped several times for bringing him to Phoenix.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

:confused: I just don't get it. Why are people married to this 7SOL no post offense? Has it won any championships?? any?

It's just mind boggling. An overwhelming majority of champions have been won with a guy you can dump the ball to and he can make something happen with his back to the basket.

Where's a good facepalm picture when you need one. The suns were 26th in defensive efficiency (2nd in offense) and Nash is worried about how Shaq fit with the offense?? You would think he would be thanking Shaq for trying to show Amare how to play in the post, particularly on defense.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It is funny especially after seeing how it's turned for the Lakers.

I DO think it was a mistake to bring Shaq to that team under THOSE conditions. Dantoni can only coach one style with one type of team. He completely failed in his use of Shaq and Kerr was silly to think that Shaq alone could swoop in and save the day (by playing solid post defense). He's not superman, he could only do so much with so many forces working against him: Dantoni, Nash, and an unusual cast of soft players.

20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and conclude that Nash would not like playing with Yao either.