1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Rules question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tom Archer, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

While it's about 99% sure the Rockets will draft Yao, I'm curious about what would happen if the Rockets were to trade the #1 draft pick to a team that selects Jay Williams as it has been widely stated that the Chinese won't release Yao unless he's picked first.

Basically, the question is What would happen to a player that did not withdraw from the draft before the deadline, got drafted, but refused to show up?

1) Could he reenter the draft in some subsequent year?
    2) Would he simply become a free agent?
    3) Would his NBA rights always belong to the drafting team unless traded or sold?

2. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

I belive its the 3rd one I'll look into it more later.

3. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

From what I've read so far, I believe that the rights will belong to the drafting team unless sold or traded. For example, when Vancouver drafted Steve Francis and Francis refused to sign, the Grizz were able to trade him away and get something for him. However, if China decides not to release his rights, and without the FIBA papers, Yao Ming wouldn't be eligible for the draft. If that is the case, I believe Yao Ming could enter the draft again the next year. That is just my interpretation, I think you're better off getting the info from a real expert on this matter.

HeyP, can you take this question?

4. Larry Smith

Larry Smith Member

I would think it's #3 (his NBA rights always belong to the drafting team unless traded or sold), but I really don't know either. However, I remember J.D. Drew did a #1 to Philly in baseball. Not sure if Philly was ever compensated for that one.

- Mr. Mean

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The answer is slightly more complicated.

A player has to declare for the draft and if he does not pull his name out on time, he is eligible to be drafted. Ming is in the draft.

Now, the team that drafts him has his rights. If at the players choice he decides not to sign he can go back into the draft the next year, but if the player can not report or sign due to outside influences like the Chinese government, the team that drafts him has his rights forever.

An example of the above is Arvydas Sabonis, I believe that Portland had his rights for like 8 years before he was able to come over and player.

So, if the deal looks like it is going to be done, the Rockets should draft him, and if the CBA or government tries to pull him back ( a big loss of face and not likely) the Rockets would retain his NBA rights forever.

Clear?

DaDakota

6. heech

heech Contributing Member

This is another one of those persistent myths that never die.

No one in China (and that includes the government, the Chinese basketball authority, and the Shanghai Sharks) has ever said Yao Ming must be drafted first for him to leave the country. Never, ever. Quite frankly, China doesn't care.

They do care that he's developed and fostered, that the proper investment is made in his career by the team that drafts him. (The common feeling is that this has NOT happened with Wang Zhizhi at Dallas.)

But as long as Yao Ming is placed in a situation where that appears to happen (and going #2/#3/#4 still means the team that drafts him will invest great resources/time in developing him), he will come. Period.