1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[National Geographic] Alex Honnold - Free Climbing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AFS, Oct 9, 2011.

1. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Yes, but those statistics are based on all climbs not solo climbs. Regardless, solo climbing is one of the most dangerous sports you can participate in.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Believe or not, this kid has soloed some climbs that Dan could barely do with a rope. As the video states, he has skipped of couple of levels with the stuff he's done. Truly freaking amazing.

1 person likes this.
  3. rockbox

Of course, but even the most avid climbers think the solo guys are nuts.

Its like doing MotoGp without a helmet and leathers.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's amazing -- I'll get out some of the kid's videos.

5. rockbox

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pt8yZCXNJFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is Alex climbing Astroman in about an hour. 6 pitches(pitch ~ 15 stories) long.

6. rockbox

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9a840ANZ-fw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another vid

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I wonder where I can put in on a death pool for this guy?

8. what

what Member

You know the more I think about it the less crazy it sounds. When you think about it, flying is a similar tempt of fate. Generally flying is considered safe, but if something goes wrong you nearly always die.

There has really only been 2 free soloist that actually died free soloing.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"... The swifts... leave slimy smears of fresh bird dung on the hand jambs."

I would fall screaming ewwwwwwwww! and waving my hands all the way to impact.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It'd be cool if he could wear a wingsuit thing, and just jump off when he was done.

I also think he should carry a camera. I bet he could make some good money taking pictures.

11. what

what Member

Did you know Steph Davis was a girl? Neither did I. I have to say she is pretty hot, just by how unbelievable she is.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MmlMxsBXNFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How much does a parachute weigh?

13. rockbox

The best climber in the world is a guy named Chris Sharma. He doesn't solo because he falls a lot, however he can climb things that would make spiderman jealous.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCqe96jtExU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCqe96jtExU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Another one 5.14d

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlcQ3mxlNfs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UlcQ3mxlNfs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

#33 rockbox, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Top rated YouTube comment made me LOL.

"if i'm ever going to do this i'll put coal in between my butt cheeks 'cause by the end of it, i'd have diamonds."

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

how long before he falls to his death? :mad:

16. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Chris Sharma is sick, seen a lot of his videos. One of my favorite being from the King Lines DVD when he climbed in Mallorca.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kz2CYoB4ZDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. rockbox

Is that 5.15+ that he did? Sharma is ridiculous. I had a friend climb with him in Austin once, he says that no one can climb the way he does because he is so gifted. He essentially jumps from hold to hold.

18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

How does one get into this? Do they just start climbing one day and find it easy so they move on to this? How do they learn the technique, trial and error and if so how do they have room for error?

:eek: Every time I watch these and they reach back for more powder I screech, take a deep breath and yell grab something. :eek:

19. rockbox

You're not suppose to use the ropes for any type of assistance. Ropes are just in case you fall and sometime you fall a long ways. They actually get in your way because you have to drag them up while your climbing and clipping(especially traditional climbing with no bolts) takes a lot concentration to do correctly. I guess these guys do it a whole bunch of times without ever falling and decide that they don't need ropes anymore.

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Just saw First Ascent featuring Alex Honnold. So sick. Courage and calm is one thing a lot of people have (such as yours truly), but the vision required to scale some of these walls is what makes him a once in a lifetime athlete.

Here's his 60 minutes clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR1jwwagtaQ

Pretty dumb question.

Climbing is a state of mind. A state of chi at the gates of nirvana. Alex Honnold can visualize what he is and is not capable of - and ropes just slow him down. He's made it this far relying on his personal technique and strength. Free soloing to Alex is like skydiving to someone with 500+ falls (but with infinite more skill). It's a risk, and something can go wrong, but you're confident enough in your own abilities and experience to know it won't.

And that's what separates the great, from the average.