1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NASA] Artemis: back to the Moon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

first flight is Monday morning, unmanned and won't touch down on the Moon

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Cool logo.

My wife, who is an extremely sensible person, will not be convinced that we've actually landed on the moon before.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Andre0087, jiggyfly, Blatz and 7 others like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Long overdue.

5. Buck Turgidson

These 2 phrases are totally incongruous.

jiggyfly and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

She feels the same way about me and my insistence in aliens.

We balance each other out. Lol

jiggyfly and mikol13 like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Your wife and Shaq...

“For example, I flew 20 hours today, not once did I go this way, I didn’t go straight,” Shaq said. “I didn’t tip over, I didn’t go upside-down.

“It’s still a straight line, you don’t go under,” Shaq said. “Another theory, how they said the world is spinning? I’ve been living in a house on a lake for 30 years, not once did the lake rotate to the left or rotate to the right.”

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Trolling right?

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Delayed ?

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

this changes things

12. Commodore

13. Commodore

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

he has said that he was joking

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

[

show her this video - we actually didn't have the TV technology to fake a live moon broadcast.

Surfguy and Two Sandwiches like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Of course. Its really an embarrassment. It should not have been put up to be launched. I went out to Titusville to watch this launch. Just before I got in Titusville, they announced the launch had been put on hold. Listening to live feeds, I came to the conclusion this was a rushed job and NASA should have done more tests.

Contrary, I went to the 1st Falcon Heavy launch. SpaceX delayed that launch for a couple hours due to upper atmosphere conditions. SpaceX doesnt half ass.
    Im debating whether I want to go back out Saturday. I am not confident they are ready to launch.

Jontro likes this.
  18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Looks like we have a "no go" for launch today because of refueling issues and a leak...a different issue than the one previously.

It must really suck for the people who went to see the launch originally and decided to stick around through the weekend hoping for a Saturday launch.

[​IMG]
    "Sorry, folks. The launch is closed!"

Now that the space program is back to these capsules instead of orbiters...I was diving more into what my Dad did at NASA during Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo projects during the early days at NASA. After he helped train Glenn for Friendship 7 and communicated with him from Hawaii during his flight, he grew into a role called "simulation configuration management". Basically, he was responsible for keeping up with and managing the fixed-based training simulators and crew training to sync with the constant changes that were made to the flight vehicle. I actually found an article on NASA's website my Dad contributed to for that topic that discusses the complexities involved. The contractors that participated in those changes and NASA were constantly changing the flight vehicle. I was reading that article on how involved it was and my mind was blown. I would like to think some of those procedures my Dad helped establish have carried over to today. In the early days, they had to come up with all that stuff and refine it for each mission. It's amazing stuff that went into those programs in the early days. You make a change and it has to trickle down to the simulator, crew training, and documentation. Else, it doesn't work and they would never get off the ground. The fact that they pulled all that off collectively is kind of a miracle. Tons of man hours. All that work by my Dad led up to him being chosen as the project manager over the construction of the shuttle simulator. I guess he was the right guy for that job after his work on the capsules. He got a bunch of awards for that effort.

Another semi-interesting tidbit...I remember my Dad once brought home this huge binder full of documentation on the mission to Mars. That's long been a goal. This was during the 80s. The binder specifically said "Top Secret" on the cover. Apparently, they used to rotate this binder among high ranking NASA employees every month or so. There was always someone with this manual safeguarding it. Now, I don't know exactly what all that entailed other than each employee was responsible for it at certain points in time. I never opened it and looked inside. I gawked at how large the binder was stuffed with pages. lol.

#18 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  19. Commodore

embarrassing

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get the feeling that NASA is being extra cautious with this. I listened to an interview with former Astronaut Mike Massamino and he said they were treating it like a manned launch.

A failure they feel would probably seriously set things back.

jiggyfly and Surfguy like this.