1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name brands vs Generic brands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joshfast, Oct 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I usually buy generic products for the affordability but there are a couple products that I never buy generic.

Ibuprofen - Advil. I dont know why its probably the placebo effect or Advil's candy coating but it seems to work better for me.

Tissues - I have allergies pretty bad. Kleenex with aloa is on another level.

Laundry detergent - was happy with the generic brand till I hade to do some laundry at my friends house and sure enough - Tide with bleach cleared up some stuff I thought were permanent stains.

Anybody else have an opportunity to buy generic but prefer the name brand?

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Gas.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems as though Exxon, Shell, and other big oil companies' gas lasts longer than H-E-B/Wal-Mart gas.

Definitely worth the extra 10 cents per gallon in my opinion.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Alka-Seltzer.

The real stuff just tastes...less bad than the store brand.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The only difference in gas that varies by company is detergents they add into their mix which helps your fuel injectors and other components in your car. Personally, I only put Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Texaco, or Mobil and nothing else.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

cocaine.

Why buy the premium Columbian stuff when the stuff coming out of Peru gets the job done?

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Seconded,

http://www.toptiergas.com/

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Most OTC's I buy are generic... bioequivalence.

Working at a pharmacy, I do know that there are certain types of drugs where a brand name will work better or worse, depending the person. Example would be synthroid (Levothyroxine which is the generic of it).

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Add some lime/lemon and it makes any brand taste good :).

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I buy Pear products over Apple products.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I buy generics almost 100% of the time, except when it comes to food.

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Toilet Paper.

Don't ever buy the generic stuff. Talk about rashes. :eek:

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Depends on what i'm using it for...if i dont need quality then i get generics...if it's something that has an ingredient list, then i compare ingredients to see what i'm missing, if anything.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My Mother takes those. I think she can tell the difference.
    what else can you tell me about this.

Rocket River

14. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Actually, depends on which "generic" you try. HEB brand ("Twice as Soft") is my preferred tp.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yea, my mom also uses Synthroid. She tried the generic once stuff, and she said she could feel a difference for the worse. I just thought it was crazy talk, b/c all generics and brand names were of the same formulation.

What is the reason for this difference in between the brand name and generic?

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I don't know too much since I'm just a technician but from my experience, alot of people that gets these prescriptions usually like to ask for the brand name because thyroidism is very sensitive.. thyroid medicine comes in doses of micrograms and sometimes that very small minute difference between a generic and brand name can have an adverse effect I guess.

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The only things I consistently buy generic on are bottled water, chap-stick, and trash bags. Never get store brand on any food items. I bought generic dishwasher detergent once and it sucked.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

We use to buy Enfamil when my son was a baby, primarily because we got a whole bunch of sample packs from the hospital followed by 10-15 dollar checks from the company...so we were getting it at half off...once those dried up we continued to buy it for a short time and then ended up switching over to the generic brands. It's crazy how much less they are then Enfamil and Similac.

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I read something about this once. When a drug gets tested, it gets tested as the finished product. When a generic is made a lot of times they just copy the active ingredient. In some drugs the active ingredient alone is not enough. Things like the binding agent can make a difference. For instance in can effect how quickly the drug is released into you system.

That being said the majority of the time the active ingredient alone is enough. But there are rare cases where just copying the active ingredient is ineffective.

1 person likes this.
  20. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I use generic ibuprofen all the time and have never noticed a difference.