1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Mom just died.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess you recall me posting my Dad (the NASA aerospace engineer) had died on Nov. 24th, 2021. My Mom has passed today at 81 years old. I lost both my parents in a two month span. It's so unfathomable and the grief is horrible. I was definitely still processing my Dad's death and we didn't expect this.

Her body just failed to where she couldn't swallow or move. So, you just use morphine for pain. I said my goodbyes yesterday and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. She went out just like my Dad...in bed on Morphine and basically comatose. It's so freaking hard to watch a love one go out like that. I never got a chance to have a last conversation with her.

My Mom was the best person I knew. She grew up in Monetta, South Carolina in a rural area in a house next to a train track that would roar through every morning (as kids, we used to squash pennies putting them on the track to be run over). She was surrounded by close family growing up with parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. and had a good life.

After high school, she attended nursing school in Charleston, SC....where she met my Dad and they fell in love. I mentioned in the other thread...my Dad used to drive from Virginia to Charleston every weekend back then to see her...a 500 mile drive each way. Upon graduation, she became a registered nurse, married my Dad, and moved to Langley, VA so Dad could work at NASA in the real early days. She was beautiful in her wedding photos and just gave off a vibrance. You could see why my Dad was so smitten.

They eventually moved to Clear Lake City as Dad's job took him to work at Johnson Space Center. She worked in hospitals, as an EMT on an ambulance, and even saved a person off-duty in a vehicle accident stopping his profuse bleeding until help could arrive. From there, she developed a passion with antiques (my house was like an antiques museum growing up) and loom weaving. She bought and brought big Swedish looms into our house...even expanding the house to accommodate their size. She became a passionate and well-known weaver making rag rugs and other types of rugs. She was very good at it and won an award for her technical weaving (I'm inheriting the piece that won) written up in the Houston Chronicle newspaper. She used to have a booth at the Round Top Art Festival where she sold them and sold them out of her antiques shop in Houston back in the day.

She loved helping people. She loved to talk to people. She used to do volunteer work. She taught weaving on smaller looms to mentally handicapped children. She loved dogs. I own her dog now. The dog survived both my parents. It's all I got now. She loved to cook. She organized parties in her prime and was the life of the party.

Late in life wasn't kind to her. She got bi-polar disease at 65. Unfortunately, the bi-polar changed my Mom because that's what it and the meds do. She went from an avid reader and outgoing person to not reading and being tired all the time. And, she had chronic back problems. She was on 15 different medication pills daily for a long time. She was in and out of hospitals towards the end. It all just wore her out and she passed at 81. The bi-polar robbed her of some years for sure.

I thought it would be right to let you all know how special she was...especially after sharing here about my Dad lost to Alzheimer's. The world lost the kindest person who would help anybody on this Earth. And, I lost the best Mom I could ever have hoped for.

Enjoy your parents if you still have them. I'm going to go say a prayer for my Mom now.

#1 Surfguy, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

:( Sorry Surf

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. No one can never know how someone else feels but i have a pretty good idea. You can never grieve enough. There is no set time limit to how long or short your grief will be. You might not ever get over losing them and that's okay too. Be weak if you need to and lean on your loved ones. Cheers to your parents and you.

Yung-T, B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dang, Surf. I'm sorry to hear this. I know it means nothing and may sound callous, but when my parents go, I'd almost want them to go together or as closely-together as possible. I don't want one having the burden of not having the other. I'd rather shoulder the burden of having neither. In any case, at least take solace in the fact they're at peace now and no longer suffering from their illnesses. RIP, Mama Surf.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sorry to hear man. Condolences

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My sincerest condolences.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's weird because the last few years...my Dad was totally out of it. But, he was still there and you made do with what you had left of him. He still had some character left. But, in reality, we lost my Dad about four years earlier when he changed overnight. So, I'm not sure that qualifies as going close-together. Selfishly, we wanted my Mom to be around longer obviously. She was well taken care of.

Thanks all for your words and support.

AroundTheWorld and B-Bob like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my parents before the pandemic hit, each about a year apart. My Dad, who passed away first, had terminal blood cancer. My Mom had various health ailments that we were managing, but her passing (March 2020) was much more unexpected. She did often talk about wanting to be with my Dad, and I would use that to deal with the grief of losing her.

10. VanityHalfBlack

My condolences Surf.

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Sorry for your loss. That's gotta be tough.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My condolences to you and your family

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were blessed with amazing parents.

AroundTheWorld and B-Bob like this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing about your mom. She sounds like a great person...and an even better mom! Thoughts out to you and your family Surfguy.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So sorry. She sounds wonderful.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for sharing and very sorry for your loss. It sounds like things were very tough there at the end with the death of your dad and then your mom. Having to deal with your dad having Alzheimer's and your mother dealing with bipolar must have been hard on you and your family. That said you're right about appreciating your parents why they are there..

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Sorry for your loss man, my condolences and prayers to you....

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Bro hugs.

So sorry to hear, that man. Peace be with you.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My Deepest Sympathies and condolences
    I pray for you and your family

Rocket River
    I cannot even imagine

20. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

So sorry for your loss. Also thank you for sharing that. Family is something that will always be cherished.