1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My fears of reopening schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Aug 1, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Looking good, school reopeners!

But in Mississippi, the results have been remarkably dire. By the end of its first week, the Corinth School district had been forced to quarantine over 120 students and staff. Later that week, a longtime football coach at Lafayette High School died after quarantining with coronavirus symptoms. And on Monday, just as another group of school districts opened their doors, the state confirmed COVID cases in 22 schools. One day later, Gulfport High School sent 100 students to quarantine at home after a teacher there reported symptoms. On Wednesday, the Rankin County School District, which will begin holding in-person classes next week, announced its superintendent had tested positive for COVID-19.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mississippi-schools-are-a-coronavirus-disaster

CometsWin, Dubious and RayRay10 like this.
  2. SamFisher

I don't think you get it, this is the plan. Step over the dead bodies, lose votes in the mail, stop testing etc.

This is deliberate.

B-Bob, snowconeman22, Dubious and 3 others like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Trump's puppet as our Governor I believe that is part of the plan unfortunately. Why else would the state with the highest positive rate of Covid be the only one not allowing absentee voting as an option for fear of Covid? He and our Republican Senators are more worried about voters than people dying of Covid.

Dubious, RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you need to get @fchowd0311 to home school your kids

amirite @tinman ?

Marine Corps home schooling.jpg

arkoe, B-Bob, snowconeman22 and 3 others like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that’s awesome
    I’m glad the marines are getting those fat kids in shape and away from 12 hours of fortnite and triple layer brownies !!

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

so you're saying . . . Sam's kids are fat :cool:

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

He’s not schooling his kids ?
    He needs to step away from Clutchfans and avoid spats with superior posters

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Yep. It’s as if parts of America are currently being run by the Mafia, and they are doing whatever it takes to hide the bodies. It’s disgusting.

CometsWin, B-Bob, sirbaihu and 2 others like this.
  9. SamFisher

Lol y are u posting in a thread about parenting

@tinman

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Trump is a self-absorbed idiot. Many Democrats have college degrees and believe knowledge is power. The last thing those parents want is to make their children suffer by having their schools shuttered so they can’t serve as polling places.

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Amiga, B-Bob, sirbaihu and 1 other person like this.
  14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Woohoo! My school told me my classroom size, finally!
    419 sq. ft.
    But they told me one person needs 144 sq. ft. . . .
    So, my class can hold me and 2 students.

Amiga, FranchiseBlade and deb4rockets like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"When Teachers Call the Cops on Parents Whose Kids Skip Their Zoom Classes":

https://reason.com/2020/08/17/teachers-zoom-classes-parents-child-services-coronavirus/

excerpt:

If there's one thing the public school system shouldn't be doing right now, it's making life even more hellishly difficult for parents. And yet many teachers in the state of Massachusetts are contacting the authorities to report parents for suspected child abuse when kids fail to show up for Zoom classes.

"Massachusetts school officials have reported dozens of families to state social workers for possible neglect charges because of issues related to their children's participation in remote learning classes during the pandemic shutdown in the spring," The Boston Globe reported on Saturday.

The infuriating article is worth reading in full. The Globe spoke with several parents who have received calls and visits from the state Department of Children and Families (DCF). The department has the power to remove children from their homes and place them in foster care if agents suspect that kids are being mistreated, abused, or neglected—and DCF considers distance-learning no-shows to be possible abuse cases. DCF lists numerous circumstances in which teachers should feel obliged to call the cops, among them kids appearing tired or hungry during Zoom sessions.

Working parents who have no choice but to leave their young children in the care of a sibling, or let them fend for themselves, will be particularly vulnerable to unfounded child services investigations. This isn't a theoretical concern. Consider the case of Em Quiles, who

more at the link

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. SamFisher

Metric system can fix this.

arkoe, B-Bob, RayRay10 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

related

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/science/foot-surveying-metrology-dennis.html

America Has Two Feet. It’s About to Lose One of Them.
    For decades, U.S. metrologists have juggled two conflicting measurements for the foot. Henceforth, only one shall rule.

[​IMG]
    This is a foot.

This is also a foot.

But one foot is a tiny bit shorter than the other.

100,000x

zoom

10,000x

1,000x

100x

10x

Graphic By Eleanor Lutz

By Alanna Mitchell

• Aug. 18, 2020Updated 6:45 a.m. ET
    How big is a foot? In the United States, that depends on which of the two official foot measurements you are talking about. If it comes as a surprise that there are two feet, how about this: One of those feet is about to go away.

The first foot is the old U.S. survey foot from 1893. The second is the newer, shorter and slightly more exact international foot from 1959, used by nearly everybody except surveyors in some states. The two feet differ by about one hundredth of a foot per mile — that’s two feet for every million feet — an amount so small that it only adds up for people who measure over long distances.

Surveyors are such people. For more than six decades, they have been toggling between the two units, depending on what they are measuring and where.

The toggling does not always work. Michael L. Dennis, an Arizona-based surveyor and geodesist with the National Geodetic Survey, has been cataloging mix-ups with the two feet for years and repairing errors. Last year, he had enough.

“I kept running into these problems with different versions of the foot, and I thought it was ridiculous that this thing had gone on this long,” he said. “So I had this secret desire to kill off the U.S. survey foot, and I’d been harboring that for years.”

Most states mandate the use of the old U.S. survey foot for their state coordinate systems, which allow surveyors to take into account Earth’s curvature in their measurements. A few states mandate the use of the new, international foot. A handful do not specify which of the two feet should be used. Arizona, for example, is an international-foot state, but when employees with the Federal Aviation Administration or the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or the Park Service measure there, they use the U.S. survey foot.
    more at the, um . . . link

#199 Os Trigonum, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    deb4rockets, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member