1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My car was hit while parked in the lot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldManBernie, Jan 8, 2009.

1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Some POS backed into my car with a trailer hitch, and obliterated my entire rear bumper. Fortunately, somebody was kind enough to leave a note with the person's physical description, apartment building he walked into, make/model and the license plate number. I just want to do whatever I can to get the person's insurance information, so I can take my car to the body shop to get it fixed. Who do I call? The police? My insurance company? Please advise.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Call the police and file a police report. You'll need the report for the insurance companies, and they should hit the jerk with 2 tickets for Failure to Report an Accident, and Leaving the Scene. I had somebody completely destroy me driver side door in a college parking lot, when I went to drop my final exam off to my International Accounting teacher. It was my final freaking day in that lot, and was parked there for 10minutes. Never found out who did it, and I was forced to pay for it.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

File a police report and get the witness' information as well

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

do all of this immediately.

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Ok... I called the police, and I'll be dropping by their station to file the report around lunch time. Thanks for the help!

6. MexAmercnMoose

hit the sob and hit him hard...i hate people that do hit and runs

7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

wow the person who hit you was very smart, even leaving a note to misdirect your search

8. no_answer

no_answer Member

Did you move your car already? You should take pictures of it.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Good luck. It happened to me once, under similar circumstances. I had a witness statement, with a description of the truck, driver, and license number. The police refused to write a report because it happened on private property and they didn't come out and investigate when it first happened. They gave me some form to file with the State. It took forever. I ended up fixing it myself and filing on his insurance for reimbursement when they finally tracked him down.

Sorry to hear about it. It was a mess for me.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i did this once...guy hit the back of my car and sped off. i followed him for a long time...chased him through neighborhoods. not real bright. went to police station...they took report...never heard a peep from them again.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, kind of what happens. If you don't call them, you'll never hear anything, and even then it is hit and miss.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I just wish I caught 'em doin' it, ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything to catch 'em doin' it. It'a been worth his doin' it, if I coulda just caught 'em, you know what I mean?

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i called them. nothing came of it.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I had the same experience. The guy even had a warrant out for his arrest.

Nothing came of it. Still have the dent in my truck. Frikking cops.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Aren't these questions for the "DRUGS, SECKS, ALCOHOL" thread? :confused:

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You never know what'll happen. My wife had a customer who wrote her a bad check for several hundred dollars. We reported it to the sheriff's office and never heard back... or so we thought. Three or four years later, we get a check in the mail from the sheriff who had caught the lady and gotten the money out of her.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If you can't recognize a pulp fiction quote, may god have mercy on your soul.

18. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

This happened to me a couple of months ago. I was at work and the HR lady came to my office and told me she had some bad news. I thought for sure I was getting fired. Ends up it was this instead. Phew.

I actually ended up making $1200 off the accident

19. Poloshirtbandit

A friend hit my car in the UH parking lot once. Honestly, I was surprised he even told me.

20. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's real funny. isn't there some sort of rule that you don't start off a conversation with "i have some bad news," if you work in the HR dept?