1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Though there is a lot of reasons for Giannis to win it and I would not be upset if he does I will put this out there in terms of "conspiracy theory" which I think will have a effect on voting.

Giannis is finally getting his own signature shoe this summer from Nike - what better way to launch a new signature shoe than saying its the MVPs? Nike had a big ad campaign right after Westbrook won it and right now things are not looking that great for Nike with LeBron's decline the next few guys aren't with Nike. Kawhi is new balance, Curry is UA, Harden is Adidas but KD is with NIke and now Giannis.

I would not be surprised at all if Nike tries to purchase influence.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Raptors may change all that and then where do you stand?

sirbaihu likes this.
  3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I have a hard time calling any team in the Eastern Conference "#1" in the league regardless of their record when the teams fighting for the playoffs are hovering around .500 or less (#6 Pistons .500, #7 Nets .492, #8 Magic .462) unless your win percentage is identical or better in the West.

Richie_Rich and sirbaihu like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Bucks fall to 2nd seed, Harden keeps having insane 40 point games, and we go on a 10-15 game winning streak and end up with 55 wins - then I think Harden will be in the discussion.

That being said, Raptors are 3 games back in the loss collum, seems highly unlikely the Bucks fall without Giannis going down.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So what's new in Milwaukee to propel them from 7th to 1st? What changed?

Coach Bud.

Doesn't mean that Giannis is not having a quality season. He is. But the *impactful difference maker* that made the necessary changes....that was the catalyst....is Coach Bud. And it is why he should be COY.

Meanwhile, Harden is having, not just an MVP season, but a HISTORIC season.

BigMaloe, Richie_Rich, JuNx and 4 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets finish with the 3 seed, Harden has a better than 50% chance of winning it.

It sounds stupid, but if Harden catches Jordan's 37.09 scoring average, it probably makes a big difference as well.

It would give Harden the highest scoring season in nearly 60 years.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, those are key elements.

You also can't underestimate the value of "signature moments." For Harden, like that Miami game. And having a good game vs Boston on ABC.

Huge games, at the end of the year, with recency bias, can tip the scales with some voters. Certainly the ones that are more easily influenced.

I think for Harden, the Rockets PR have to keep beating down the door of the "HISTORIC" angle. A HISTORIC SEASON. Basically, you can't ignore what he is doing.

Nook likes this.
  8. smokieethabear

MVP shouldn't even be a discussion...

Then why the thread??? :)

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Coaching changes shouldn’t have any effect on how we assess value of a player.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They effect the team. Let's put it this way.....are the Bucks where they are now with Giannis' current level of play if Jason Kidd or Prunty were still at the helm?

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Needs to average 38.4ppg the rest of the way. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be that shocked. Would be impossible to deny him the MVP with that kind of eye-popping stat on his resume - especially in the context of dragging a team from an 11-14 record to 50 wins (which would require us going 12-7 the rest of the way).

I distinctly remember looking at Jordan's stats a few years ago and chuckling about how no one is going to be able to touch that, especially after watching Kobe chuck away and still miss it. To do it on respectable efficiency is just mind boggling.

13. SemisolidSnake

Why was I drinking coffee during this? I almost died, especially when he began the mating call.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wouldn't mind seeing Harden get 5 more 40pt games to get to 7th on this list ahead of Rick Berry. He has 19 games to do it.

15. SemisolidSnake

Clearly the money is in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, East Conference market. Not the fourth biggest city in the country.

I mean, I completely agree with you that the media has its narrative, and will do what it wants to. But, man, if it's about money, they sure go to great lengths to ignore and marginalize a huge city in their coverage of all its major sports. Which is exactly what they do.

16. durvasa

Lots of things effect the team. But credit for performance as far as player evaluation goes, IMO, should be determined based on the players who are actually playing basketball.

I don’t think Harden’s MVP case two years ago should have anything to do with change in coach. Whether he’d be as successful in a different coaching situation is another conversation entirely.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Suit yourself. But if we are going to look at the Bucks "team wins" as a key component of an MVP debate, then we have to ask ourselves what elements make up that component. And in MY HUMBLE OPINION the coaching change of Kidd/Prunty to Bud was the main catalyst of a Bucks team going from 7 to 1 this season. You can certainly differ. You can certainly be within your rights to believe that Kidd/Prunty would have the Bucks as the #1 seed in the East.

This does not diminish Giannis level of play. I am just saying the "over the top impactful catalyst" was Bud's Offensive/Defensive transformation of the team. (and to a lesser degree some shrew rotational player additions). But I am willing to throw out those roster moves and focus mostly on Bud.

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

The biggest change is the Bucks follow Morey analytics. 3s and layups.

19. durvasa

I hear you. Giannis is not 20 wins better this year than last year, all else being equal. But the fact remains that he’s one of the top 2 or 3 players this year on the team with the best record in the league. I don’t think one can just ignore team success in his candidacy because that’s all about coaching. A great coach still needs players to win games.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread ;)