1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Since when did PER become a good stat to measure anything?

HP3 likes this.
  2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, but as I have said, the "follow history" argument has no basis. For example, "In the past twenty years, black players have won MVP 85% of the time. Race is a better predictor of MVP than winningest team, win shares, or PER. So, the best course is to follow history and vote for a black player." This is obviously a foolish argument based on historical pattern, because historical pattern is not a measure of wisdom.

As for rewarding wins: wins are rewarded with playoff seeding, etc.
    If you want to reward individual wins, maybe you should look at win shares, in which case . . . Harden is #1 and MVP.

D-rock and ilovehtownbb like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

no other player’s resume this season stacks up with Harden’s...not PG, not Giannis...you’re not creating a similar list for either of them because I doubt they’re 1st or 2nd in that many categories...Harden is also producing the most points/100 possessions in NBA history which is something I wasn’t even aware of until this afternoon...these other MVP candidates don’t compare

there’s nothing hypocritical about wanting Harden to win MVP when the media just established a new precedent, and once again, the main reason why there was a problem with Russ winning it is because Harden’s statline was pretty much the same minus 2 uncontested boards, and while they were both carrying a bunch of role players, Harden carried his team to 55 wins while Russ carried his to 47...don’t tell me you’re giving Russ the award because he averaged 10 boards instead of 8

if it were a case where Russ was head and shoulders above everyone else and averaged a 30 point triple double while Harden’s statline was a tier below averaging something like 27, 6, and 8, then I wouldn’t have even been mad that Russ won because what he did was actually pretty amazing...Russ wasn’t even better than Harden that year tho, and the media decided that doing something historic on a playoff team is now worthy of MVP

this year, Harden is doing something historical, and nobody else’s numbers even come close...no one is even close to what he’s doing

Harden is nowhere near as good as Giannis defensively, yet he’s still the more impactful player because his offense is that transcendent and legendary...Harden’s offense is more impactful than GA’s offense+defense...that is why the Rockets are the 5th seed and climbing up the standings in the West while multiple starters have missed several games

#83 Reeko, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  4. HookemHorns1250

But any good player could have those numbers in this system.

And yes, this is sarcasm.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Following history did have basis until Westbrook. Before him, the MVP always came from a player on one of the best teams in the league. Like I said...there’s context needed, but that has always been the baseline.

So once again, because i believe you think I’m arguing against Harden. I’m really not. Im just saying that Westbrook’s win went against every standard of MVP voting, and I’m wondering why Harden’s case this year is different, given that he’s running 2nd behind Giannis according to most.

#85 J Sizzle, Mar 2, 2019
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think WB was an aberration . But I don't know if we should use it as the case that the criteria has changed forever .

What harden is doing is incredible and historic.

But giannis is putting up great numbers and has a lot of wins . He doesn't have another clear superstar on his team . Historically, the award is his .

I would prefer is Harden wins , but I don't think it's a mockery if he doesn't .

Now if PG gets second place over James ... then THATS a disgrace lol

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Okayyyyyyyy. . . .
    The Rockets are "one of the best teams in the league"? y/n

I see that you are questioning the inconsistency of voters. So am I. My response to the people who are inconsistent is to say: "Show me the reason for your vote." Oh, coz "that's how they always do it"? That's actually a bad reason, rather than a good reason. Guess that means we'll basically vote for white male presidents forever, right? Obama was a Westbrook, right, an aberration? And of course no Hispanic or Asian will win anything in the NBA or America, coz that's history, eh? And hey, women been getting paid less than men forever, so let's keep that going, right? ;) I'm sure you don't think that way, but the logic is the same.

Dude guess what: 32-game streak of 30-point games is even more of an "aberration" than Westbrook. The last time it happened was over 55 years ago. Correct?

#87 sirbaihu, Mar 2, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

No it shouldn’t

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You are mistaken. Visit a Bucks board, you'll find lists of things. Giannis is number one in lots of categories. The Bucks are #3 offense and #1 defense, which is something only the Warriors have been able to achieve in recent history. Giannis is DPOY favorite right now. Giannis is elite too at all the stats you mentioned for Harden.

Harden just needs to finish the season strong because Giannis is worthy of an MVP trophy right now.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

gianisses game is ugly....harden is at least 2 levels above him skillwise as well as aesthetically

bballjunkie and sirbaihu like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

bucks record vs east 32 - 8
    buck records vs west is 16-7

roughly, they lost the same number of games vs western teams although they played 2 TIMES LESS games vs west

that should seal the mvp conversation and expose statpaddding mvp pretenders of the east

its so easy to have the best record when you play tanking teams night in night out

we see it best with leborn who dominated the east for a decade and now cant even get in the po in the west

yeah its doesnt mean you are the best player when you consistently beat 4 x atlanta, 4 x cavaliers 4x newyorks and other tanking trash teams it only means you are a great statpadder

this is not given any attention in the media but harden and giannis do not actually play in the same league ...

west is something else..just ask lebron if you dont believe me

12. Possum

Possum Member

No sarcasm here. This board is full of r****ds now. People suggesting trading harden now while his value is high is a good take to you? People saying harden is playing mediocre now while leading the MVP race and breaking all time records is a good take to you? If so you please don’t post anymore.

amaru likes this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

The NBA is a business first and a sports league second. A lot of their current stars are either approaching or on the wrong side of 30. It's time for them to start marketing the new guys and bringing them to the forefront. A big part of this is giving Giannis the MVP trophy. It's not the right call, but you could make a case for it........so it will likely happen. At least Harden got one MVP.

pippendagimp likes this.
  14. amaru

amaru Member

There is a reason we are constantly hearing about players like Simmons, Embiid, Luka, Trae, Mitchell, Tatum. They are the future of the NBA's marketing strategy.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

My question in regards to how much the winning means in this equation is this: If the Rockets were in the East and the Bucks were in the West what would their records look like?

I definitely suspect Milwaukee would be below the Warriors in the West at best. And I don't think it's impossible they'd be behind the Rockets.

16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

J Sizzle likes this.
  17. HTownBred

HTownBred Member

On the Sunday game at Boston yesterday the 'analysts' said how Harden was top 10 in steals but he's actually top 2 in steals. Thats a big difference and more impactful to note that key difference to really show the braindead parrots that love saying he doesnt play defense. If this was another player his states would be positively dissected ad-nauseum. It's just a slick low key way to not highlight and give Harden his proper dues. But I digress, it's exhausting pointing out the same narrative agenda from the unjust media.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Has anyone in Giannis position ever lost the MVP? In other words, has there ever been a team that was #1 in the league (best record) that had a clear alpha, but he didn't win MVP? I know some of those 60 win spurs teams didn't have an MVP winner because their leading scorer averaged something like 17 ppg. Same for those KG/Paul Pierce Celtics teams. Same could also be said for the Curry/Durant era warriors. But in my memory, if the best team has a player who is head and shoulders above the rest of his teammates , that guy always wins the MVP.

19. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

With Brodie, then it was about the record :rolleyes:

20. amaru

amaru Member

It held true for Harden last year.