1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music]Please help me with my American Idol audition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldManBernie, Jul 26, 2007.

1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I am going to Dallas to audition with American Idol next week. Basically, they want us to sing a song a cappella in front of the judges for 3 or 4 rounds. Here are 5 songs that I am thinking of using for the audition. Please listen and let me know what you think.

I am looking for comments on how well the song suits my voice, am I interpreting the song correctly, did you enjoy the song, and can I potentially blow the judges away with the song. This might take up to 15-20 minutes to listen to everything, so I really appreciate the help!

Please bear in mind, that none of these are finished products. At the same time, I would to hear any advice on how make it more polished.

Thanks!

<object width="300" height="80"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/dSOFjF4Han/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/dSOFjF4Han/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

<object width="300" height="80"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/J82yV_9xyJ/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/J82yV_9xyJ/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

<object width="300" height="80"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/y4a_FNZcWq/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/y4a_FNZcWq/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

<object width="300" height="80"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/FgiZs9Uu3V/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/FgiZs9Uu3V/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

<object width="300" height="80"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/8oRN0E3QBD/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/8oRN0E3QBD/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You could always get on TV as one of the really bad singers they show during the first few episodes...

3. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I hope that won't be the case. I got to the final round in San Antonio in front of the celebrity judges when I sang seriously. I hope I am no so bad that I don't even know it.

4. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I'm no talent judge, but I think your best song was Against All Odds.

5. A-Train

Sorry, but the Phil Collins song was the only one that came even remotely close to being mediocre.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Trust me on this one, though. Even I sound good in the shower...

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Fair enough, thanks for the critique. Anything in particular I should work on, or do you feel I don't have the voice?

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not trying to be and ******* or anything, but there were some major pitch issues in every single one of those songs. The pitch was kind of...well, all over the place. I couldn't even tell what key you were doing The Dance in.

Do you have a vocal coach?

8. A-Train

Hey, I'm just one person. Perhaps my tone deafness means I can't discern a good voice from a bad one. Most people here are a lot more subtle than me, so they probably won't openly criticize you. If you don't get a bunch of replies, I think you can take that as not a lot of people enjoying your stuff.

As for the songs themselves, I guess "nasally" is the word I'm looking for. You sound like that Chocolate Rain guy, only not as good...

9. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

The Dance was thrown in just now. The pitch problems are there because I haven't practiced with them and I don't have sheet music / piano. I am just hoping to get some opinion so I can hone down on 1 or 2 songs instead of 5, so this is very poor quality work.

I do have a vocal coach, but we've never worked on pop songs.

10. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

To do my pitches, I generally have to slow the song to a crawl and work on every note and transition. That takes a lot of time, and I don't have time to do it for 5 songs. I am hoping to do it for 1 or 2 songs instead based on what people think has potential.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

You were apparently so bad that the judges in San Antonio didn't even know it. :eek:

Seriously though, if you're honestly looking for opinions, then I apologize for being so blunt...but it's just not very good. Above average maybe, but that's not saying much. I mean, I personally have material I've recorded that's (in my opinion) much better than this...and I'd never expect to wow anybody at American Idol with it.

I'm actually kinda curious to hear your opinion on MY stuff now :p

12. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

13. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

ok... keep the comments coming, but it will sound better once I work on the pitch and put some stylings on it. I really need advice on what 1 or 2 songs to hone in on. I just don't have time to do it for all 5. I know I'm embarassing myself now, but you guys should be pleasantly surprised once I have time to actually work on the songs. I just need to know which.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

:D

Stay centered. Don't yell to try and hit every note. It's not yours and it's obviously forced.

Focus on the main key / tone / feel / note of the song, chill out, and make it your own version.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In addition to the pitch issues there is also a harshness in your voice that I am not sure is just a "lost in translation" part of the medium. Something that needs to be softened and less strained. There is no depth to that recorded voice.

I would agree with others - Against All Odds is probably best. DO NOT do Somebody to Love - it does not suit your voice at all.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hmmm. Okay. I don't know, but to me, singing off key is....well, most singers are able to sing in tune whether they have sheet music/piano or not... They are able to hear the root note in their head and use it as a guide for the rest of the notes.

There's just a LOT of overshooting and undershooting notes when the intervals your singing shouldn't be that hard. Many of the notes aren't just out of tune, they're just the wrong notes. Sometimes off by more than a half-step...

Again, not trying to be an *******. Just being honest.

#16 ima_drummer2k, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly.

18. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I'm really not the most experienced singer, and I've always had some pitch problems that takes a lot of work to hide. It generally takes me a bit longer to work on songs than others, but my finished product is usually of pretty good quality.

You're not being an a-hole, I really appreciate the comments. If you have some advice on how to work on my pitches, I'm all ears.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

to be honest, i'm not feeling it man.

can we get a version of Chocolate Rain?

20. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

don't you have some links to some of your finished products?.... I'm curious as to how much of a difference it is for some of those songs =/