1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It looked like garbage and I didn't let days off Future past influence my hunch.

Apocalypse was garbage in the sense that they neutered him to mediocre proportions.

VanityHalfBlack and justtxyank like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I thought Apocalypse was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. They've had a few clunkers in this X-Men series but nothing was as awful as Apocalypse.

As for this movie, I never understood why it was being made. Who wanted this? I'm not surprised it's a bad movie; it should have never been made.

arkoe likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's such a shame that they got to hold the rights to the XMen for so long and totally tank the franchise.

Marvel needs to sit on the franchise for several years in my opinion. Their comics are totally in the tank (XMen, not Marvel), they have no place in the MCU, etc.

Give them a total breather and then reboot them into the MCU.

I HATE that the Dark Pheonix saga got ruined TWICE on film before Marvel got the rights back. Such a damn shame.

Now it feels like they can't do this saga and it sucks. A movie series that traces the Summers bloodline story would have been a great way to bring the XMen back and do it right. It's a story that would focus heavily on Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Mr. Sinister, Cable and Professor X. The best characters to use. Sucks so bad this is ruined.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I liked the score and then figured out it was Hans Zimmer.

Really disappointed and hope Marvel can salvage x-men from their undeserved hell that is fox. The first two of the reboot were good but after that it's be back to the 00's garbage level stuff.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At least this will be the last of the Fox produced X-men movies. Reboot is coming at some point.

Invisible Fan and justtxyank like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think they WILL sit on it, but... they didn't waste any time with Spiderman and nobody seemed to care.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The original x-men is what started the whole superhero renaissance. Marvel was on the verge of bankruptcy at the time. If Fox hadn't released that movie who knows if other studios would have started making superhero movies. As we can see most studios are risk averse. They make reboots and remakes and copies of what other studios do.

Jontro likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I hope Marvel doesn’t tank the franchise with in your face wokeness.

@3:20

“It’s funny that people call it the X-Men...there’s a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group so I think it’s outdated.”

She also calls Captain Marvel the first female superhero in the MCU...maybe she meant lead character...I dunno whatever

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/0...usivity-lgbtq-phase-4-beyond-victoria-alonso/

The writing is on the wall with what Marvel is going to push into the MCU. I just hope they don’t change the name of the X-Men like she was alluding to. Diversity isn’t the problem but it’s just like “omg guys look at how diverse and inclusive we are!!” attitude they have now. So frustrating to see how lazy they are with it.

9. plates300

plates300 Member

Growing up, X-Men was one of my favorite Marvel comics of all time. The X-Men story line has so much material yet Fox and Hollywood in general found a way to massively mess it up. And the whole "oh there's a lot of female superheroes in X-Men and they shouldn't be called X-Men" - thats a disgrace to Stan Lee. GTFOH with that non sense.

Torn n Frayed and Jontro like this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It wasn't that terrible. It's not the transformers the last knight bad. It's not even apocalypse bad. I would have given it a 50% rotten tomatoes. It's no worse than Thor 2. I think Sansa is a pretty bad actress. Jlaw looked like she didn't want to be there. It's watchable.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jean Grey no Sasha Grey?

Torn n Frayed and Jontro like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard the CGI is bad

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

X-Folx coming 2022...

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

XX/XY-Beings

Jontro likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

16. VanityHalfBlack

I thought thor 2 was aids. If it's not as bad as that, I'll check it out.

Jontro likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

The Pheonix tried to kill the entire franchise in two movies, so rest assured, there will be a third attempt.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Yup, that was pretty bad. X-Men was my go-to as a kid and these last few films have just butchered the series. With the exception of Logan, which IMO is in the top Marvel movies.

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I mean the Phoenix must always be reborn. :p I don't think it's as bad as critics are making it out to be.

I think the biggest knock is that they didn't set up the plot lines from previous movies very well to make you care about the events that happen in this movie. What made Endgame so good was all the character build up from all the previous movies. When Tony Stark dies, you care because you saw him change from weapons manufacturer profiting from war to a genuine philanthropist that saw the bigger threats looming beyond even Earth. We see him get married, have a daughter and change. We see his mentoring with Peter Parker. When they kill off Mystique, there's no real impact felt.

I don't think it's so much as Jennifer Lawrence or the rest of the cast mailing it in, as much as it's just poor character development throughout the course of the franchise. If it touched on Mystique's romance with Magneto and having some maternal heartfelt moments with her son, Nightcrawler, that would have been good to have in previous movies. They could have set it up where Mystique appreciates Xavier's ideals but over time thinks he's out for personal glory and doesn't feel comfortable having Nightcrawler at his school anymore. She sees Xavier using the students at the school to just go on missions too dangerous for humanity to sort out and doesn't want to risk her son's life for an unappreciative humanity. That would have been a better illustration of the darker motives Xavier has that paints him as less of a savior and more of a complex character.

The change from Xavier being a savior for mutants to someone with nefarious goals of personal glory should have been fleshed out better like with the example above. It would have made Hank McCoy's betrayal more believable and again the loss of Mystique which sets up the motivations for the rest of the characters in the movie.

It's really no worse than Thor 2 or any other mediocre superhero movie though.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It'll take at least another eight years to do dark Phoenix right. Hope they make it a cosmic marvel event.

I wonder if these movies will still be red hot by then....

Because right now the movie franchise is red hot garbage.

Jontro likes this.