1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 8, 2017.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Kitty! Send Logan back. We dun ****ed up again!

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Trailer was good. Like the current xmen class 10ox better than those first xmen movies. Know very little about the history of the xmen other than the movies, but really hated the phoenix in the Lsst Stand. I reckon she's got some sick power and everyone wants to sleep with her, but it never resonated with me. This trailer looks interesting. But gain, I'm not sure why I would care about a dark phoenix.

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Based on the trailer it seems they killed off Mystique, best thing that franchise could've done imo. Jennifer Lawrence was single handedly running that franchise into the ground, it's not even her fault, they should've never given a character like Mystique so much importance, much less the role to an actress like Lawrence.

Apocalypse was a disaster in itself, I don't know if I can judge Jean's actress based on that **** show, but this is a make or break movie for X-Men. A tall task is at hand, this is no Captain Marvel, Pheonix Force is one of the most powerful entities in the Marvel universe, I hope they're able to capture that.

#43 Obito, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I thought that making Mystique an X-Men was a mistake.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) If memory serves, when they gave JLaw the Mystique character she wasn't the star she became. In retrospect they probably would do it differently.
    2) The Apocalypse melodramatic character bothered me.
    3) Agree with the rest of your take as well.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

To echo what others said, I don't agree with this take at all.

Wonder Woman basically gets universal praise here and it's a woman super hero flick. On the flip side, the Cyclops crap from the original xmen films, Apocalypse, etc. all got trashed hard here.

It's not our fault that they've done such weird stuff or BAD stuff with the female characters.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think she wanted out, but she is the biggest star in the movie so the studio wanted to keep her, so she could dictate whatever she wanted.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

marvel can replace them with the rock and tom cruise. boom! best picture award!

B-Bob likes this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But....but....JLaw. Nekkid. Blue paint.

I guess there's always another nekkid hottie and blue paint. When JLaw blew up so did the franchise's need to showcase her. "Pay me and raise my character's profile."

The series can only improve. Justice League and Suicide Squad proved you can screw up superhero flicks, even if Apocalypse wasn't quite the s##t show of those DC disasters. (It did aim low, though.)

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The X-Men movies have been handled poorly in general, and for me that has little to do with the cast.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't see aliens, prob disappointing.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I loved the Dark Phoenix comics and the two part series in the X-Men cartoon back in the 90s. Just cannot capture the magic in a movie.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The first xmen is what really started the modern superhero movie craze. X1,X2, First Class, DOFP were all well reviewed and good movies.

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's the last Fox movie before Marvel Studios takes over

Nobody knows if they are going to purge all the actors for new ones

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like the look of the trailer, though I worry it will be too emo. X-Men movies have been at their best in creative action sequences, I think... character development less so. Put another way: I don't need too many scenes of Sansa trying to convincingly cry, but I'm all aboard for her crushing Magneto's helmet, etc. I guess you could tell me that you can't do Dark Phoenix without the emotional side, and that might be right.

In any case, I'll sign up just to see the end of JLaw's Mystique.

16. jsingles

jsingles Member

This looks ****ing terrible and I put DOFP in my top 5 comic movies, maybe even top 3. Nothing about that new trailer looks appealing.

17. conquistador#11

That cover has some serious 2006 photoshop going on.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I liked X1 and X2 when they came out, but have a hard time now rewatching either of them. X3 was bad and I haven't seen the appeal in any of the movies with the new cast. McAvoy and Fassbender don't do much for me in these roles which is something I know I'm in the minority in. The rest of the cast outside of Jackman I don't really like, nor have I liked the scripts.

It's probably a me thing though.

I'm looking forward to Marvel taking over.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Glad that it looks like they are killing off Jennifer Lawrence. It's been a while since she has even cared about this franchise and I don't think anyone goes to watch these movies because J-Law is in it. There is enough starpower in the cast with Sophie Turner, James McAvoy, and Fassbender.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i loved first class. This looks legit.