1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

October 2018

EW Link

X-Men: Dark Phoenix heats up EW's First Look Issue

This Phoenix has risen… again. On Nov. 2, 2018, Dark Phoenix will arrive in theaters and finally deliver the storyline X-Men fans have wanted for years. Simon Kinberg previously attempted to tell the iconic Jean Grey tale — about the telepath’s battle with demons in her own mind — with his screenplay for 2006’s X-Men: The Last Stand, but studio pressure squeezed her story into a reductive subplot. Kinberg, making his directorial debut, felt in his gut that this was the story that he needed to tell once Bryan Singer, who directed the previous two sequels, stepped aside. “[The film] was so clear in my head, emotionally and visually, that it would have killed me to hand this to somebody else to direct,” Kinberg says.

Set in 1992, about 10 years after the events of last year’s X-Men: Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix opens with the X-Men, including Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and Quicksilver (Evan Peters), in a new, unexpected role: national heroes. Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) even lands on the cover of Time magazine. But his growing ego puts the team at risk. “Pride is starting to get the better of him, and he is pushing the X-Men to more extreme missions,” Kinberg says. After they’re dispatched to space for a rescue mission, a solar flare hits the X-Jet and the surge of energy ignites a malevolent, power-hungry new force within Jean (Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner)— the Phoenix.

DARK PHOENIX GALLERY: Your First Look at 2018’s incendiary X-Men movie

Based partially on Chris Claremont’s comic, Phoenix will feature some of the series’ biggest set pieces to date, including the X-Men’s first trip to outer space. It’s also the most sinister, and somber, chapter in the saga and includes a massive twist halfway through that will irrevocably change the course of the franchise. “This is probably the most emotional X-Men we’ve done and the most pathos-driven,” McAvoy says. “There’s a lot of sacrifice and a lot of suffering.” The movie becomes a fight for Jean’s soul as Phoenix threatens to overtake her mind and divide the X-Men, particularly Jean and her mentor, Charles. “It’s about the butterfly effect of this thing happening,” says Turner, who studied schizophrenia and multiple personality disorders to prepare. “What happens when the person you love the most falls into darkness?”

All involved with the production of Phoenix last summer in Montreal wouldn’t know the answer as the experience on set was actually calm, an adjective not usually applicable to X-Men shoots. Ellen Page recently accused Last Stand director Brett Ratner of homophobic and abusive behavior on the set of that film. (Ratner’s lawyer did not respond to EW’s request for comment.) Singer faced sexual assault allegations in 2014. Those charges — which Singer called “outrageous, vicious, and completely false” — did not stem from anything on an X-Men production, but his sets do have a reputation for drama. (On Dec. 4, Fox dismissed him in the middle of directing Bohemian Rhapsody, and though he’s credited as a producer on Phoenix, he has not been directly involved with the film.) “I had heard stories of these sets,” admits Jessica Chastain, who plays an otherworldly shapeshifter who comes into contact with Phoenix. “But working with Simon and Hutch and Sophie was the most loving, strong, happy set.” Adds Lawrence: “It was unrecognizable. Everything was on time. Everything was organized. These movies have always been fun amidst chaos, and now they were fun with no chaos.”

Besides Dark Phoenix, EW’s First Look Issue has exclusive details on all of 2018’s biggest projects, including Ocean’s 8, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and The Incredibles 2.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Zzzzzzzzzz

I loved the x-men. But fox has ruined it. They are batting under. 400

Blurr#7 likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Well, looks like it's Disney's turn at bat.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, Boy George on the cover and in a lead roll... he's made an amazing comeback.

Jontro, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Could be wrong, but I think it's a bad idea to put that story on it's own into one movie.

It's something that needs a slow burn, like infinity war. Build up to it, then fit it into it's own movie. It was super disappointing how they handled it in xmen 3, but cramming it into one movie with no buildup, even if it was all about the phoenix saga, would almost be as bad.

They need to reboot the whole thing anyway. Just skip the stupid origin stuff. Don't need that. And they actually need to establish the team, not just wolverine and some side characters.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm sorry but Sophie Turner is an absolutely atrocious actress. This film will bomb because of her.

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

The series took a dive when Matthew Vaughn left it.

Caesar likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Looks like a Redbox rental to me.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

will watch. love me some wolverine!

10. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Will watch. The new X men movies are just as bad as the first 3 but they're fun. Except I can't stomach McAvoy.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't like most of the cast in general.

12. Nero

Nero Member

As soon as Disney completes the purchase, this will all fall into the category of 'Never happened'.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

will sansa go noodz? i don't mind her acting.

Pen15clubber and tinman like this.
  14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Trailer dropped last night.....

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Sansa is such a horrible actress.

RudyTBag, Big MAK, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I want to like it, but I just can't. Disney needs to reboot the whole damn thing.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked First Class and days of Future Past was interesting. Apocalypse was terrible so hopefully they can get back on track with this one.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ready for another reboot....or maybe the twist at the end of this will be Phoenix using her powers to merge the XMen/FF Cinematic Universe with the Marvel Cinematic Universe (with the Infinity Gauntlet).

Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's pretty much what they did in Days of Future Past.

Looks like they might lead this in the right direction, but it's just a 2-minute trailer. Not much you can make out besides the Phoenix story coming to a head. Again.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This franchise has been around forever and it's never gone anywhere. Marvel's universe goes somewhere. Nolan's universe had a definitive ending. This one just spins its wheels.

Caesar likes this.