1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Joker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this a good movie or not?

B-Bob likes this.
  2. likestohypeguy

Idk yet but I have different RT thresholds depending on genre and actors. If it's a war movie or documentary, better be high 90's. Sci fi, suspense, lots of favorites in cast Ill risk a 60's...

[​IMG]

Wonder what the first one means- ignore at your own peril? Almost sounds like you need to pay attention to it, except that seems to mean it shouldn't be rotten. Unless he means ignore his bad review and watch it anyway at your own peril

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

my review: good, but hardly great

As a man full of (perhaps justifiable) self-pity who lashes out in an immoral way, Phoenix is believable. But the idea that his behavior would inspire large swaths of people was not convincing (unless you think Antifa is a powerful movement)

I still prefer the classic Joker interpretation, as a force of chaos that appears out of nowhere with no rational explanation for his behavior or motives. Joker doesn't hurt people because they are mean to him. He hurts them for no discernible reason other than causing chaos.

#163 Commodore, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh no.

5. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

I thought it was an interesting take on how a man can become a joker. I like period period pieces and I thought 70s Gotham had a lot of character. I’m not sure what the message was but I thought it was fine because the Joker doesn’t have a message.

Pretty good

6. VanityHalfBlack

Heard it's a mix of taxi driver and kings of comedy. Phoenix in one of the best performance since Daniel day lewis in there will be blood.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Very derivative. I've seen this movie before (Taxi Driver, King of Comedy) in it's much superior original 70s versions. It felt like a Soundcloud rapper trying to imitate Pac or Biggie.

I will say though that Puerto Rican Prince Joaquin Phoenix really puts on a fantastic performances, elevates the material and mediocre directing.

8. VanityHalfBlack

I was skeptical because of Todd Phillips, not a fan of his comedies, I mean they are okay. I'll see this at a discount cinema soon.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Not really

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. CrazyJoeDavola

I like this.

GRENDEL, BigM and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I thought it was good. People calling it a “masterpiece” are silly, but it was good. Phoenix’s acting, as usual, is the best part about the movie.

Tried a little too hard to be a Taxi Driver remake, though. Was too on the nose.

7/10

DreamQuake and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  12. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

I think Joaquin has a nom in the bag for sure. Looking at a couple sites and on twitter the consensus seems to have Phoenix, DeNiro, Hanks and Sandler as lock nominees for Best Actor this year leaving one spot up for grabs.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sandler? Adam Sandler? For what?

14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Uncut Gems

Same guys that made Good Time which I recommend if you’ve never seen it, Gems looks great

J Sizzle likes this.
  15. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

I mean it no Thor or Black Panther. Insert rolleyes here

Nook, RKREBORN and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

is it better than ironman 3?

OmegaSupreme and vlaurelio like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's basically Black Panther 2 set in the 70s.

Jontro and vlaurelio like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I actually had never seen Taxi driver before but talk of Joker intrigued me so I finally went and watched it last night.

I think there is just no way that Joker can have that much to say and have that level of ambiguity. Taxi Driver isn’t about a guy who simply breaks bad because the world is mean to him. It’s a study on failed masculinity, and so many other deeply interesting ideas. The ending alone has much ambiguity that it makes the movie alone even despite so many other interesting aspects.

I might still see Joker but I just get the sense that its too surface level about isolation and violence. It’ll just make Taxi Driver that much more brilliant. But who knows... anyone here might want to contest that. It’s just my hunch. It might be deeper than I’m predicting.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also regarding Joker as a villain in the bigger story, I do believe he’s more effective as a sociopath who in the end is just a massive contradiction. Someone who comes to power to sew chaos, and create division to Gotham. He preys on people’s anxieties and grievance for power.

But in the end he’s more relatable as a villain when like Nolan does, he exposes him as simply a pariah who is just preying on and using people like the mentally ill guy to do his bidding. You understand why people are drawn to him, but you are able to see him as a manipulator. Being sympathetic to him seems out of place for the greater Batman story.

It’s much more real as it relates to today’s modern day villains of our society, and it makes Batman’s quest to do good for Gotham that much more justified. When Batman reveals that he’s really just a loner brat who manipulated people to try to bring them down to his level, it’s much more effective as an arc for the story.

In the end I think the best Joker is the one who is full of sh$t in the end. Not every character is supposed to be an anti hero. Sometimes the story needs characters like Nolan’s Joker for the story and other characters to have any type of arc that makes sense.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I know it's hard to compare the two because they're in different stages of Joker's life but I think Phoenix played a better joker than even Ledger and that's saying a lot. So far, he's my favorite to win the Oscar in 2020 for Best Actor. What a phenomenal performance.

mikol13 and Silent_Bob like this.