1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

So, which set of movies are better the prequels or the Disney SW?

2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Rogue One was really good, outside of that the prequels are better.

Jontro likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Disney's are "better", in terms of how well made they are. The prequels were an atrocity, but at least they were ambitious. These new Disney Star Wars movies are boring, which might be even worse.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Put the pipe down, Jar-Jar

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Speaking of the atrocity (prequels). Beyond atrocity. Its last film was okay (albeit with its prequel-y moments: “Padme?” “You killed her.” “Nooooooo!”), but the first was so horrific, so very awful (Phantom Menace), that when the film ended and the soaring Star Wars theme erupted over the credits, the audience stood in dumb silence. We waited 16 years for this crap?

The Last Jedi had some bold moments but they swung the pendulum too far to the other side after TFA’s lack of guts. The thing is, they don’t get a second shot at these. None of them have been awesome since “Empire”.

“Return of the Jedi” was good, but Carrie Fisher, Rest In Peace, was coked out and walking through a movie, and it had too many “say what?”s. When Luke revealed to Leila that they were siblings, wouldn’t the actual reaction have been, “Wait? Didn’t we almost f***? Actually, between Episodes IV and V, we DID f***. OH GOD! And wait, what? Vader is your father?! Hold it.....that means he’s my father, too! This is worse than a soap opera!

These standalone Star Wars films are pretty good overall (I was cool with them), but they aren’t the same sort of event as Chapters I through IX. So Star Wars has one last shot to be awesome, and Carrie Fisher’s passing has greatly hobbled (not killed, but hobbled) that chance.

Jontro likes this.
  6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

3 December's in a row with a SW movie. This one should have been targeted for December as well. Now it will be a year and half until the next one.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The real problem is Solo coming so soon after a poorly received The Last Jedi.

The 18 month wait until Dec 2019 might actually do the franchise good.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I wonder if they are going to make trilogy story lines or just make 9 a lead in for 10.

Nothing special about a trilogy, might as well make them all connect.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Actually, when Leiah told Han Solo that Luke was her brother, I am pretty sure that pause Han Solo had, and it was good few seconds, by the look on his face he was thinking you were about to **** your brother

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its a good movie. Better than expected. Main thing - Alden is good as Han Solo. He proved doubters wrong. Star Wars "fans" really are the most acidic cretins of fandom. I dont know what kind of validity of themselves they seek out of the franchise.

Couple things I Liked / Didnt Like:
    - Glover is good as Lando. Though he actually looks very LITTLE like Lando. Its overlooking Glover's lack of resemblance, but faulting Alden for it. Thats not fair to him.

- The beginning of the movie is, verrry weak & generic. Was going too much with some hard luck love story. Was like just "Do Something HAN'ish, Already?!" But once they let Alden immerse into character and let everyone be a-holes, the whole movie finally takes off. Even with slow start, never thought about any affects from reshoots

- The non-Force natural skills element was very good, and more "Earthy" settings gives it its own vibe. It actually gives Millenial Falcon the extra magic aura. Yeah some of Han origin material was underwhelming. (Like how he got the "Solo" name, or why he decided to keep it). But they did the Kessel Run some good service (maybe even too much).

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Right, I think its both. There's been 4 SW movies in 2.5 years. It used to be 3 years between EACH movie. Then its knowing all the many planned future productions, it feels crammed. Also think the anti-TLJ is putting their money where their mouth is sitting it out. And they're making everyone else miserable too bringing people down with them.

Also doesnt help having big movies like Infinity War & Deadpool to compete against.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought it would be hard to pull together, but if his girlfriend turned out to be Boba Fett that would make for some interesting twists and turns. But seems a little too far fetched.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We already know the identity of Boba due to Episode II, they are not changing Canon.

[​IMG]

14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I'l take Jar Jar Binks over Kylo Ren everyday of the week.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The same could be said for Marvel movies...doesn't seem to be an issue there. I think TLJ was poorly received by Star Wars fans. Through social media they organized boycotts of paying to go see Solo, regardless if that movie was good or if it sucked.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Speaking of this, seems like there are 9 future movies already planned: IX, Boba Fett, Obi Wan, Rian Johnson trilogy and another trilogy by a guy from Game of Thrones. I have serious doubts the public can stomach more than one Star Wars movie per year.

The Marvel Phase I - III run will go down in history. Attempts to replicate it are futile IMO. That should be clear by now to everyone. Marvel's own Phase IV and beyond has an impossible act to follow (and I can't wait ;)).

Shroopy2 likes this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't disagree with that. I just know there's a very vocal group of hardcore SW fans who intentionally sat this one out...not because of what they perceived to be the quality of this movie; but as a backlash to The Last Jedi.

18. droxford

droxford Member

My review:

The good: Alden Ehrenreich did a fine job as Solo. So did Donald Glover as Lando. Story is good. Characters and dialogue are good. Visual effects were good. Humor was well-timed and there wasn't too much of it. Nothing crappy. Nothing cheesy. Hearing Han Solo speak Wookie and seeing how he met Chewbacca was very cool.

The not-so-good: I think the luke-warm reception at the box office is because the movie doesn't include many of the Star Wars staples. There's no Empire. No real villain. No sinister plot. No jedis or Jedi masters. No Force. No light sabers. No rebellion. As a result, I suspect it leaves viewers thinking that it didn't feel much like a Star Wars movie.

I finished the movie thinking it was good. Nothing wrong with it... but I wasn't blown away, either.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not discounting what you're saying about the long shadow of the TLJ (blech!), but comparing to Marvel doesn't feel quite right.

As I mentioned earlier, Marvel presents a greater range of tones and types of movies, really different universes. Seeing Logan and seeing Deadpool 2 (for example) really has almost no overlap to me, like seeing two different franchises.

After Rogue I, I'd had enough Star Wars type movies for a while. Maybe the prequels permanently damaged the franchise for this viewer -- hard to say.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

But, you are assuming too much. The dude is in a mask and nobody ever seen who is behind it.