1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] MORTAL KOMBAT! (Reboot)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

Pretty enjoyable, surprisingly. I'm down for what they got coming next. But please, give us Johnny Cage and a new actor for Raiden.

Jontro and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. SunsRocketsfan

Yeah it wasn't horrible and overall it's enjoyable but nothing that was really memorable. The first 10 mins were great and then it just sort of becomes meh.

tinman and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  3. SunsRocketsfan

Yeah raiden was pretty bad but the still light years ahead of the original raiden from the 90s flick. I thought liu kang was pretty awful as well.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Watchable/entertaining but not a good movie. the character development and dialogue were awful. the storyline was meh. not one of the protagonists had any charisma.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The movie was aggressively stupid but when it embraced the stupidity it was sort of entertaining.

I thought it was very much in the vein of the 90s flick outside of the opening sequence which almost feels like it from another movie by the end.

Over I enjoyed it more than expected but I went in with low expectations....

B-

Kim, primtim24, Entropy and 2 others like this.
  6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a MK movie, so I went in with low expectations. I personally laughed my ass off at almost all the Kano gags.

I'm actually pretty disappointed they killed him off as they'll have to find another source of laughs in any sequels.

The fighting choreography wasn't great, but it was light years better than previous MK movies. And the gore was a delight, most of the time. The main character wasn't too interesting and the actor wasn't great. The actor that played Raiden was pretty bad and felt like he was trying to do a bad Ken Watanabe impersonation. Sonya and Jax were fun and I liked most of the villains for what they were...

Favorite death was probably the winged chick getting buzz sawed in half. That was wonderful.

Glad they made the movie and I hope they make sequels of similar or better quality.

Entropy, VanityHalfBlack and GRENDEL like this.
  7. Entropy

Entropy Member

For me it was a good movie because the good parts outweighed the bad and it delivered on what it intended to do. For a movie of this type, ie a video game adaptation, I judge it differently than I would other movies. Liu Kang and Kung Lao had charisma, but yeah its unfortunate none of the other good guys had any.

#87 Entropy, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    GRENDEL likes this.
  8. Entropy

Entropy Member

I actually really liked Liu Kang, he was one of the best characters besides Kano, Sub Zero, and Scorpion.

9. dmoneybangbang

It was aite..... It seemed clunky and cheesy but not in an ironic or low budget way....

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The plots in the video games were better than this
    I just watched it because I’m a sucker for these movies
    Didn’t really have to create a new character because there were already a bunch of characters they could have picked from

SunsRocketsfan, JumpMan and Jontro like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not very good. I should have had lower expectations for this. Shame on me.

I don't understand why that needed to add a new character as the main protagonist. Why not make it Liu Kang? Or if the wanted the story to center on the feud between Subzero and Scorpion, then make them the main characters.

BigM and tinman like this.
  12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

This made me very glad they didn't cast Lewis Tan as Danny Rand. Whatever people thought of Finn Jones, he was 100 times the actor this guy is. Tan is better doing a few lines of dialog and otherwise just fighting.

tinman likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah the Iron fist was better .

This movie was better too
    @Ziggy

14. tinman

Supporting Member

This was a horrible idea making a new character.
    Can you imagine if it was street fighter and some random new character the main one ?
    @Ziggy

Jontro likes this.
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The shoehorned new character was terrible and he was the worst actor in the whole movie. I sort of liked the movie though.

The first 10 minutes felt like a completely different movie. Some online review even talked about how it was shot with a completely different style and cinematographer with a single camera fight scene coordinated.

I wasn't familiar with Josh Lawson as Kano, but apparently he's usually a goofy comedic actor and this was pretty outside his range. He was great and had fun with the role.

BigM likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Street Fighter was pretty funny. They didn't take it too seriously. Bison decided to Ham it up and JCVD was coked out of his mind.

tinman likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

After the first 10 minutes it turns into some weird B movie but there’s enough nods to the game to make it interesting. It’s not terrible but they could have made it a lot better.

The Lui Kang actor was fine but they made his character a b**** and his fire ball was pretty much dodged every time. Raiden actor had the wrong look. Asian Keanu Reeves made real Keanu look like Marlon Brando. Dude was stiff.

I’ll watch the sequel.

Invisible Fan, Jontro and tinman like this.