1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Morbius

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 13, 2020.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I believe there are a few factors from both.

1. We know how crappy Sony can do on their own when it comes to live action hero/villain movies (see Venom)
    2. We also know how great they can do in the animated world (see Spiderverse)
    3. Spiderman, Tom Holland, is being shared by Sony and the MCU, therefore he has a bit of better direction even though Sony is producing the films (see Venom). Marvel still holds rights to the merchandise they just can't get their hands on any box office revenue.

I'm just glad we aren't getting some tired recycled Spiderman trilogy, the ending of Far From Home is going to make this possibly the best story line that we have yet to see on the big screen. I'm just sitting back and enjoying.

I love Morbius in the animated cartoon because he wasn't much of a villain, just a torn anti-hero if anything.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I just don't think he deserves his own movie for one thing, yeah he has his own stand-alone comic...but to me this is just more of Sony money-grabbing. I just don't trust anything Sony does. (Into the Spiderverse withstanding, that **** was amazing. But it was also animated as you mentioned.)

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think you're understating Marvel's involvement in the last two Spider-man movies by a vast amount.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Mysterious Morbius Comic Strip.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I remember that one as really repetitive.

#25 B-Bob, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Final Trailer

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This may end up being great but the way they cut his dialogue together in the trailers is really incongruous.

jiggyfly and GRENDEL like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Getting destroyed in ratings; RT rating of 17 percent

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Jared Leto is the key to a disastrous superhero movie.

superfob, clos4life, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't know why Sony is insisting on not collaborating with Marvel Studios/Disney like they did with the new Spider-Man trilogy on all of their Spiderverse movies. Just because Venom did well doesn't mean these unknowns will do well without that MCU touch/connection. Venom is a misnomer; he's sort of a adolescent/stoner demographic hero like Deadpool and will draw an audience on his own. Morbius, Kraven the Hunter....all of these side Spidey characters just don't have the same cachet.

It's a shame, Morbius was a favorite of mine as a kid. I still have the beat-to-**** Giant Sized Spider-Man I had when I was five with him in it.

Of course, there is one reason to see it. NSFW link: https://pagesix.com/2022/03/31/bella-thorne-wears-red-naked-dress-at-morbius-screening/

mikol13 likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So no Venom like storm back?

Rocket River
    cause I know folx were down on Venom as well

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like this crew. I trust their opinions.
    They say they have seen worse ... . its not good but not overly bad . . . just kind of blah

Rocket River

13. Beezy

Beezy Member

Jared Leto = no watch. His part in Blade Runner was my least favorite part of the movie.

14. GRENDEL

Wife and I saw it last night.....not the worst thing we've ever seen but not great either. Leto is sleepwalking for most of the movie, bad CGI and a goofy plot that is only there to set up 2 post credit scenes....

C-

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

in·con·gru·ous

adjective
    1. not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something.
      "the duffel coat looked incongruous with the black dress she wore underneath"
    [​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I read some review that said the post credit scenes, particularly the 2nd one, are the worst the reviewer had ever seen. Thoughts?

17. GRENDEL

The post credit sequences are pretty much the only reason the movie exist and they feel cheap and hacked on, like Sony included one more item, at the last minute, to their contract with Marvel......

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm with you, and I don't see why he keeps getting so much work. He's one of those actors where you're always cognizant of him acting versus watching a convincing character or story and being drawn into the movie experience. It's always, "oh, there's that dude. he's acting. And he's on the screen. He's using weird emphasis and his few go-to expressions again. Sigh."

His boiled down part in Blade Runner, where he was basically forbidden from doing anything extra, was probably his best role, but it was still a disappointing part of an interesting film. :D

Rocket River, mikol13 and Beezy like this.
  19. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Family and I saw it tonight. It's good, not great. End credits scene definitely sets up something from the comic books.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t care if it isn’t a popular opinion but Jared Leto sucks as a lead. He should be doing supporting stuff… he just isn’t good.

Also this movie was a pile of **** and the writing and direction wasn’t even passably good.