1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 2, 2016.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yeah... looks dope. no need to reboot the matrix when we have movies like this.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. VanityHalfBlack

Me, you and @Jontro can be called,:

CIRCLE JERKS!!

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This movie looks promising as hell. But how can you squander such an opportunity to show off Scarlett in a body suit with a PG-13 rating?

If I may quote Slim Pickens from "Blazing Saddles": (shaking his head despondently) "I am depressed."

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. jae713

jae713 Member

Meh... she was naked in the anime. That's enough for me.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

In “Ghost in the Shell,” the mind and soul of a brilliant original being are extracted, preserved, and rehoused in a sleek, expensively built, technologically advanced new body, enhancing her original abilities at some cost to her identity. That’s the premise, of course, of the cult manga created by Masamune Shirow in 1989, but it’s also an apt enough description of what has happened with director Rupert Sanders’ fast, flashy, frequently ravishing live-action transmutation.

Spectacularly honoring the spirit and aesthetic of Mamoru Oshii’s beloved animated adaptations without resorting wholly to slavish cosplay, this is smart, hard-lacquered entertainment that may just trump the original films for galloping storytelling momentum and sheer, coruscating visual excitement — even if a measure of their eerie, melancholic spirit hasn’t quite carried over to the immaculate new carapace. Box office returns should be muscular, minting what could be one of the more enticing franchises in a multiplex landscape riddled with robotic do-overs.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/ghost-in-the-shell-review-scarlett-johansson-1202017667/

No Worries likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think this movie will suck, but that guys complaints could not be more meaningless and stupid to me. Also the spoilers above are extremely mild if anyone cares.

8. VanityHalfBlack

67% on the rotten score so far.

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I am interested to see how people who know the material before hand react vs those who don't; some of the ideas maybe too much to get across in 2 plus hours.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Ideas? Nobody said there would be any ideas. Scarlett Johansson in body suit was the promise. Don't go complicating things ;)

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Judging by the reviews, it seems the movie focused more on the flashy visuals and action pieces. That's the easiest way to make your money back, so I pretty much anticipated that. I was hoping they worked the philosophical elements in a little better. Maybe they did, and people simply didn't care for it.

I'll certainly check it out this weekend.

12. dmoneybangbang

When the original first came out, it was such a great story, but since then the themes that made the original so great have been told again and again.

I was hoping this new movie would rise above it, but the reviews are disappointing. I'll still probably see it though. I hope they leave Cowboy Bebop alone....

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sounds like it's all Shell and no Ghost.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I might give the "but she's not asian" crowd some points...but anyone that has seen anime knows that the Japanese go WELL out of their way to make the characters as caucasian as possible. In that light, you can't really argue for racial background

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I just got back from a screening of it. I don't remember much of the original, but I came away thinking it wasn't as philosophically thought provoking as the anime. It was more of a straight-forward plot of identity crisis. It was probably done that way to make the movie easier to follow for the regular public.

I still thought it was a decent Hollywood adaptation, but I'd say that it's around a 6.5/10. Great visuals and setting, good anime feel to it, but loses points for plot. I think it'll become pretty forgettable overall. At least we got Scarlet in a nude suit.

16. dmoneybangbang

This. I don't get the claims of whitewashing when talking about anime.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those Anime people don't even look like Asians

No Asian dude looks like Rick Hunter and No chick looks like Min May

KingCheetah and Pen15clubber like this.
  18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Reviews have actually been pretty decent, it could have been a lot worse. I expected them to make the themes a bit more palpable for general audiences because the original movie was pretty heady for its time.

Wife and I are checking it out tomorrow after work, looking forward to it.

Pen15clubber and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. VanityHalfBlack

I don't know who those people are but you can pretty much cast any walk of life as long as they have charisma and can act. It doesn't have to be exclusively for whites.

20. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

It isn't just limited to anime. The argument is there are plenty of characters that were written as Asian, or were actually Asian in real life (for movies based on a true story) but were cast for white actors. On the flipside, casting for movies, especially for the comics/anime genre, you almost never have white characters cast by Asian actors. So the whole argument that "comic/anime characters have no ethnicity/race" holds no weight because then they wouldn't all be cast with white people. This issue is about equal opportunity for actors of color, and from the beginning, it has been unequal in the entertainment industry. And when people of color get cast for traditionally white roles, white people get upset too. Look at all the uproar over Idris Elba as the next 007 or John Boyega as a black stormtrooper (I don't even know why stormtroopers have to be white given that the Jango Fett actor was not white).