1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 26, 2018.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's basically Marvel 101, a simple but extremely effective strategy. I still can't believe Warner Bros. f**ked up something so simple to the degree they did.

Make a series of entertaining, albeit forgettable solo films. People will see the solo films out of obligation because they want to know everything leading into the huge team up movies. Then release a massive billion dollar spectacle every other year.

The solo films are almost never "great" or frankly even memorable, but the are very entertaining, without fail. The whole formula falls apart if the movies become a slog, or if they start pushing agendas to alienate the core audience. If the movie can really tap into a demographic, while maintaining the formula like Black Panther did, that's even more profit and hype. It limits the potential of the solo movies, but keeps the floor at a very high level.

Captain Marvel will not be a great movie, but it's a virtual guarantee that I'm going to enjoy it, and it will just build my hype for Infinity War.

FLASH21 and arkoe like this.
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Which ones are the solo films in the MCU that are really forgettable? Is Iron Man a solo film? Its awesome. What about Guardians of the Galaxy? Perhaps my favorite movie in the MCU. Thor Ragnarok? Excellent and unforgettable. Black Panther? It may or may not been the cultural shifting phenomenon the media hyped it to be, but it was a very important film to a large amount of people. Sure, there have been some that weren't as good as others, but Captain America, Winter Soldier may be the single most critically acclaimed movie in the whole MCU and it was a "solo", right?

You may make the claim about Ant-Man, but frankly its a decent comedic caper flick. Dr. Strange is one of the lower ones on the totem pole, and may be "forgettable" but I think there is actually a little bit of re-evaluation of that one going on right now.

ALSO: They are comic book movies. There is a formula for comic books, so there will be a formula for Comic Book Movies (if they want to be effective).

Do people really want to watch a MCU movie about the deep and dark story line around Tony Stark's alcoholism? That was a gutsy thing to do in a few comic books, but are you going to stake your multi billion dollar franchise on "real" and "dark" stories that are very serious? You get the DCU.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's a big part of his comic character, so they covered that arc in Iron Man 2, even though it felt a bit glossed over and they never explicitly said he had a drinking problem. But he was chugging bottles in an Iron Man suit at a party.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The first 2 Thor movies, the last 2 Iron Man's, the first Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Doctor Strange, both Ant-Mans (the new one is still fresh, but will likely fade from memory), GOTG 2, and Black Panther (very important for social reasons, but as a white guy it was just another entertaining marvel movie). Thor 3 was funny as hell, but in a few years I likely won't remember much aside from it being the funny one.

I agree Winter Soldier and the first Guardians were a cut above, the first Iron Man has also stuck, but in general you watch the movies, remember the major details, but forget most of what you actually saw in a few years. None of them are bad, they have yet to make a bad movie, but if you think think that most of the solo films were great and memorable by themselves we are gonna have to agree to disagree.They are a textbook definition of quality disposable entertainment, they are only elevated by their presence in the MCU as a whole.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dang, Dr Strange gets no love? I thought it was one of the better Marvel movies. Itll definitely stick with me as I didnt really know too much about the character beforehand- I assume the same with most people. Thats also one of the reasons GOTG stuck.

seclusion, B-Bob and justtxyank like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The is a formula for ROMCOMs
    a Formula for HORROR
    hell most movies have formulas

THE MCU isn't so much using a COMIC BOOK MOVIE FORMULA .. .as they are using the MCU Formula
    There are other comic books movies that simply don't come close to the MCU Formula
    and they are failing

Rocket River

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Forgetting parts of movies is called aging. It happens to all of us no matter how good the movie is.

seclusion likes this.
  8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I disagree with you on a lot of these, but I'm not going to bother changing your mind. It's your opinion.
    It's like saying I'm going to forget Aladdin or the Lion King. I may not remember exactly what happens line for line...but I generally can remember there was a genie, a flying carpet involved, and Jafar is a dick.

If it was so simple, why have there been historically so many **** superhero/comic movies up to this point? You're not seeing the big picture here. There have been about a thousand terrible superhero movies for every Marvel movie released.

Howard the Duck? Daredevil (Fox), Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four 2, the OTHER Fantastic Four? Damn near all of the DC movies that don't have Batman and some that do? Should I go more 90s, 80s, or 70s for ya?

Doctor Strange was the **** dude. I like it more each time I watch it. Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo is the MVP, that man kills every role he's in.

Dormamu, I've come to bargain.

#148 seclusion, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Dankstronaut and Blurr#7 like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

Trailer: Nothing screamed go see it. Agree that most of it was Brie doing a bregman camera stare. I guess we are supposed to be interested in what happened to her as a soldier, but I don't think I care.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope most of the movie is her punching old ladies on the subway. Marvel could totally change up their gameplan.

arkoe likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

X-Men movies have been so trash I completely forgot Rogue got her powers from Captain Marvel. I know it won't happen in this Movie, but if Marvel introduces X-Men with Rogue taking Captain Marvel's powers, the fandom will erect a statue of Keven Feige underneath the Hollywood sign.

Imagine a true representation of Rogue on screen.. Imagine the cosplay.

seclusion, Blatz and Xerobull like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How are those two things related? Lulz. Use a period or something.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dont, be that guy. You're better than that.

#153 DreamShook, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Ziggy likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, I tend to be jaded with marvel movies because they execute the formula so well it's entertaining, but there's enough of a formula that ruins the element of surprise u get when you see those characters come to life. Ant Man was a good palette cleanser for infinity war, but I'd rather watch a different movie if I was in a marvel mood.

That, and the bar is crazy high with Avengers.

I think you'll see more movies in the next phase doing more digging into current day issues like black panther and ragnorak. It won't be in your face stupid or done artsy fartsy like Snyder. More like the X-Men series but more light hearted with relateable character driven issues. If I were to pinpoint it, it would be like Pixar dropping hints and jokes for an older audience while making it funny enough without needing to get the context of the actual joke. It's more of an option to make the movie deeper, which other studios generally like to force upon everyone to show it's "more than just a comic book movie"

Them developing their villains more is part of this shift. Marvel experimented with this in Ant Man and the Wasp and Killmonger in bp.

It makes it more memorable but it could alienate some people and distract from their formula. But that's the crazy balance of a good sequel...having enough change to not be Yet Another Marvel Movie, while enough similarities to carry the brand.

That's been their genius when everything is said and done.

#154 Invisible Fan, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  15. esketit

esketit Member

trailer looked meh. prob will be a solid movie though

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Exclusive trailer from MNF

Looks pretty badass... and I see why Fury had to "page" Captain M. at the end of IW.

No Worries and BullRider like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Special effects are on point. The fight scene(s) in space look to be amazing.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If they play this right, it'll build up hype for secret invasion.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Alot of people are complaining about Brie
    They feel she is kind of deadpan
    but
    I don't think she looking/doing too badly

Rocket River

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member