1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Boyhood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SC1211, Jul 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Directed by Texas' own Richard Linklater. It took 12 years to film. It killed it at the festivals and now has a 94 on metacritic. Anyone planning on seeing it?

1 person likes this.
  2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I like Linklater and the way this was filmed is just fascinating, quick rundown for those that aren't familar with it

Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, this film is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason, who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. This drama charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before. Snapshots of adolescence from road trips and family dinners to birthdays and graduations and all the moments in between become transcendent, set to a soundtrack spanning the years from Coldplay's Yellow to Arcade Fire's Deep Blue. The film is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting. It's impossible not to watch Mason and his family without thinking about our own journey.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So this is a documentary, then? Or did they just get some kid actor to act out a script over a 12 year period?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My wife sent me a text about this movie yesterday. We have two kids -- both boys. This movie is going to wreck me.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, this sounds AMAZING. Sort of like a Hoop Dreams minus the basketball.

Agree with MadMax, I have twin boys so it will probably be a tear-jerker for me too.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

probably a tear jerker? i was crying during the freaking trailer before 22 jump street. can't wait to see this movie that I've been waiting for for like the last 5 or 6 years. the fact that so much of it was filmed in houston is just icing on the cake.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y0oX0xiwOv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

This was also shot in Houston, an underrated gem by Linklater. You can't find it on dvd.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UyWUOgcJXxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wait, I was under the impression that this was a documentary like Hoop Dreams.

Oh well. Still looks good, though.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah gonna try to see it tonight. Linklater is awesome. Slackers is one of my favorite movies.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

wow, looks great - thanks for posting - Repped

12. Progs

Progs Member

Is this playing anywhere in Houston this weekend?

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I read for that Astros game scene that you spot in the trailer, the camera just happened to be in the right spot at the right time to perfectly catch a Jason Lane home run in the shot with the crowds reaction. A perfect moment that was not planned at all.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

CAN'T WAIT! I love Linklater (minus the unneccessary Bad News Bears remake) and the trailer gave me big-time goosebumps.

Crazy-unique way to make a movie. Definitely something that's never been done before, as far as I know.

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Playing at Riveroaks. 165min flick so adjust your night accordingly.

16. rudan

rudan Member

Insert herb the perv picture.........

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

mostly filmed in Austin, it's an adaptation of the Bogosian play.

Linklater is one of the most underrated filmmakers of this generation.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was filmed on my block in Circle C - other than all the film trailers that we had to drive around once a month every year it was pretty cool.

It was like 6 houses away.

DD

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I read some other blog post by a guy who was on that block i guess. Apparently they previously lived near allen dale or somewhere north/central where the early home scenes were shot next door to his house then the guy moves to circle c and the movie shows up in that neighborhood.

Movie looks really good.

The kid actor has given some interviews where he has a really mature perspective on his role and how it's affected his own life, etc.

Linklater is great but he "peaked" so early, at least for me. Hard to top Dazed and Confused.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Caught it at River Oaks last night with the lady. Definitely worth checking out. Very different kind of movie. Not unlike Dazed and Confused in that a lot of it is meandering "nothing plot" with clever dialogue and no over the top conflicts like most movies. It was very real and almost everyone will be able to find something to relate to. It's definitely cool seeing the cast age right in front of your eyes and it's very gradual. 166 minutes long but I wanted it to go on to see how the kid does in young adulthood.

They try to insert things in the zeitgeist of the time to time stamp certain events, which was pretty well done. It brings nostalgia of the recent past. I found myself going, "I was doing this at that age, and that at that year!" especially since it's set so close to us Houstonians.

About a third of the movie takes place in Houston and it was awesome to see Houston landmarks.

#20 kevC, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014