1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Batman 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Apr 30, 2010.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Jesus dude, does it really bother you that much that I wanted to see a little more development of the bad guys? A concern virtually every movie critic has raised, and Nolan himself said he wanted to include? I loved the movie, FYI, I think it was the best of the 3. Nitpicking is pointing out stupid stuff like the gameclock at the football game, this is merely a matter of circumstance and not something I fault Nolan for. If anything, I hope the stuff excluded from this movie gives another guy a shot at a developmental backstory driven movie.

2. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

My bad homie, stupid argument.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can't think of any plot holes as glaring off the top of my head, and I've watched it twice this past month.

Personally? I don't.

But all the diehard folks rating this a 10/10 and getting bent out of shape about others "nit picking" about the laundry list of plot holes can't admit that it is a problem when a movie has so many bumps. One or two, fine - every movie has them. But there were a few too many for a lot of us to not say anything:

-Everyone having GPS/lowjack spider sense to find everyone else:
    Blake going straight to Gordon in the sewer outlet
    Wayne finding Kyle post-prison
    Batman saving Blake from execution
    etc

-Showing Batman in the Bat 5 secs before the bomb goes off

-Blake realizing Wayne was Batman simply because Wayne had the same fake smile he uses

-The return from the prison

-Slapping up the gigantic Bat symbol on the building upon his return, with the bomb only a day from going off

-The continuity error of Bane removing Tate from the court (with Gordon) ahead of the scene where she sees Wayne in the court

-The Kyle-Wayne romance, Highlander bad.

-Tate/Bane not flooding the reactor until the last second. Don't try with the hope business when only 3 people knew about it being there, and Bane publicly murdered the only guy that could disarm the bomb.

-The idea that a small infusion of blood would completely fool forensics checking a corpse. 1. Dental, 2. DNA

-Completely over the knife wound within a minute. Obligatory:
    [​IMG]

-The Wayne stock crash getting pulled off 10 minutes after the stock exchange is taken over (ceasing all activity at that time) and Bane using a murdered person's auth card to run the transaction. Clearly, years in the court will be needed to prove fraud.

Look, it's still a good film. I liked it. It was epic, it melded 3 of the best Batman story arcs into a film seamlessly. But there were issues with it. Google Dark Knight Rises Plot Holes and you'll have a LOAD of articles pop up. This isn't an issue of a small number of people that can never be pleased. There's a decent percentage of folks that came away that enjoyed the film but called out a few of the "say what" moments.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

off the top of my head:

-Batman jumps through the window of a high rise condo to save Rachel and a car breaks their fall, both are perfectly fine. ok, so what. they just left joker with the rest of the party. did joker just decide to end the night? then in the end, Batman spears Two Face off a two story building but two face dies.

-Joker makes his phone call to blow up the jail. how did he know the blast would affect everyone except him and Lau?

-not really a plot hole but something i noticed. Joker is thrown off the building, Batman shoots his grappler, begins pulling him up from his knees, then all of a sudden the grappler is hung over a bar above batman's head.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There was logic behind that. That kid from his old orphanage had drowned there, and the deceased kid's brother told Blake he had been working in the sewers. That is why he headed to that spot.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think we can attribute that to the Joker's personality more than a plot hole. I don't know if Nolan saw it this way, but the way I see it that just further shows the craziness of the Joker. He doesn't give a flying **** if he benefits personally from something or if he dies or whatever.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I've seen it twice and don't see any continuity error in that scene, aside from Batman asking Gordon where Miranda is when he rescues them on the bridge.

Why doesn't that make sense? The cops on the surface rested their hope on that plan even if the citizens didn't know the bomb could be disarmed that way. So you give the "rebels" hope that they can stop the bomb, only to pull the rug out from under their feet and subsequently cause them to waste a whole lot of TIME on a solution that would never have worked.

8. emjohn

That's the only one you mentioned that I think qualifies as "glaring"

And again, I'm fine with one or two in a film. Avengers had a couple, too. But TDKR was stuffed with them. I still give it a high 8/10, but those cumulative hiccups knocked it down a peg for me.

It's still goofy. All he knows is that Gordon and two men went down the manhole, there was an explosion and gunfire. So...he MUST be at the same sewer outlet that a random orphan was found!

Even in Bane's lair, the thug mentions that there's multiple outlets and Gordon could go down any number of them. If there's only one possible way...why didn't his body end up next to Gordon? He was all of 30 seconds behind him.

Again, if that was the only thing, fine. But there was a blip like that every 10 mins.

9. supdudes

supdudes Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1T__uN5xmC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SIMPLY EPIC

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Cool. When's it coming out?

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Here you go, for all you fanboys...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/47028824?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Nice movie. :grin:

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No guns

But please pack missiles on my car, motorcycle, and helicopter/jet thing.

13. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Sadly even this had superior actions than Nolan can dream of.

Any way this movie was partially a total turd. Cops looking healthy and clean like they have been trapped for just a couple of hours came totally r****ded LOTR style head on charging against the mobs. Batman instead of taking out the mobs/tanks with his bat plane just only r****dedly blocked the shots and fly off.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, this had gone to page *4*. :grin:

Anyway, just rewatched I & II, and was really startled to see the ending of The Dark Knight. I could *swear* that when the Mrs and I saw that in the theater, 2008, the Joker died. As in, Batman did *not* save him with the grappling hook. I saw it very early, and I'm wondering if it's even possible that I saw a version with a different ending? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Anyway, my probably bad memory aside, I have this question. If the first movie is about FEAR, and the third movie is about PAIN, what's the one word for the second movie? CHOICE? There are, like, a million choices. Or, maybe CHANCE, since we have all the coin flips and the Joker's speeches about randomness.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I still haven't watched this movie yet. Nonetheless I enjoyed reading the spoilers.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

No different ending. He did save him. As for the topic of the second one I would say its CHAOS.

17. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Nope. I saw it opening day and then again on IMAX. After saving him, the Joker said "I have a feeling we'll be doing this for a very long time," or something to that effect.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would too...chaos juxtaposed to order.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think part of the theme of part 2 was that Bruce was more Batman than Bruce. He had little if anything going for him that he actually cared about with the exception of Rachel. Joker alludes to Batman being a freak like him, something society wouldn't accept, someone who was also crazy. And it's kind of true. Once Rachel is gone, once Batman is gone, he deteriorates. He overcame fear in part 1, after part 2 he has nothing to fear because he doesn't have anything to lose worth caring about.

20. emjohn

No, but that is one of the interesting things about TDK.

Towards the end of the big rig scene, and later in dialogue, the Joker makes it plain that he's determined to get Batman to break his one rule (no killing). It's emphasized with the mob boss mocking Batman over it (wise to your act, you've got rules), and juxtaposed with the Joker succeeding in breaking the uncorruptible Dent.

Anyway, what I hadn't picked up on until rewatching it was...the Joker did succeed. Batman kills Harvey.