1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Aquaman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jul 16, 2018.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I will point out that this issue is present in most of the single hero Marvel movies as well, actually its pretty much an issue with most comics since they started doing the team ups.....

mrm32 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but it's a much bigger problem in a universe with Superman due to how ridiculously OP he is. Also, the MCU has done a good job of making movies with lower stakes in certain instances to get around this problem.....or just isolate characters in distant places. That's why Thor Ragnarok works, they spend almost no time on Earth and the time that they are there they end up running into Doctor Strange....as they would. Black Panther works (such as it does) as well as it does because Wakanda was isolated and you were dealing with internal politics rather than a global scale threat. Doctor Strange worked because you were also dealing with isolated and hidden parts of the MCU. Also, you wouldn't call in Iron Man to help deal with a mystic threat....there's nothing he could do about it. Ant Man worked because the stakes were low. It was a heist movie for the most part.

There are examples where they screw it up, but the MCU has just done a pretty good job working around that problem.

When it comes to movies in the DCEU there necessarily has to be a global threat in pretty much every movie because outside of Batman, pretty much all of their characters are massively OP which makes it hard to have a villain that is any threat at all unless they have godly powers too. That makes it REALLY hard to avoid "why doesn't _______ show up" problems.

Jontro likes this.
  3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

If Nick Fury had a Captain Marvel pager this whole time why didn’t he just call her during the first Avengers movie?

BruceAndre and GageD like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

As a social experiment I offered to take my wife (who is in her early 30's) to see Aquaman.

She attempted to change the subject, and when I pressed stated she had no interest in seeing the movie with me.

With a slight smile, I asked her why she suddenly had no interest in seeing a movie that she has discussed for some time.

Finally she said "It isn't a movie you take your husband or boyfriend to. You go with a girlfriend."

I laughed and said it was fine....... I have already seen it..... this is a movie for women that want to see Mamoa and that is about it.

BruceAndre likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Solid question, there's a chance it will be answered during the Captain Marvel movie. The comic book answer would be "who cares about Captian Marvel when you have Thor and the Hulk", but I hear they are going to make her super OP for the movie. Perhaps she was too far away and would take to long to get there? I dunno.

Either way, Superman is on earth and can move as fast as the Flash so he'd definitely respond to it if the fish people were starting some sh*t

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cheesy as hell but still entertaining for the most part. Thor Ragnarok was def better

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so your family probably give it a 8 or 9 instead?

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Yes. I think they would rate it that high. If you have kids/teenagers they will definitely like it. I thought it was ok, but that’s just my opinion. If you end up seeing it, I hope you like it!

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

One of those things you just... can't think too hard about. Mera was all like, "Oh, you saved the world from Steppenwolf!" Well, was she the only Atlantean that heard about that ****? Were they all convinced Wonder Woman can't swim, or...? I guess that whole failed invasion really convinced Orm that Atlantis could take on the surface world no problem somehow. Who needs the Flash when you've got an army that can't breathe air, right?

Obviously, ridiculous crap happens every minute in a comic book movie, but the origin story usually comes BEFORE the team-up... ah, well. Looking forward to Capt. Marvel.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  10. GreenHouseEffect

I liked it was pretty trill Aquaman be driving water cars lmao

11. GreenHouseEffect

I liked it was pretty trill Aquaman driving them water cars lmao

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It is amazing that this is the biggest yawn-fest of the DC movie universe (saw it once)....and yet it has become DC's biggest revenue-generating movie (?)

I guess that says something about the market. (Nothing very good, IMO)

And on that point, I'm hearing a lot about the Momoa factor drawing in the fairer gender, which is boosting sales (supposedly). Maybe that's what DC/Warner needs to do more of.... o_O

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

There's something wrong with the world.....:(

https://www.slashfilm.com/weekend-box-office-aquaman-2/

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There are several reasons for that though, the first being that DC movies are rated on a curve given that almost all of them are complete trash so any halfway decent DC movie will be seen as the greatest thing ever by comparison. Aquaman wasn't good, but it was arguably the 2nd best DC movie since they started the DCEU only slightly behind Wonder Woman.

On top of that, it wasn't up against anything worth a damn other than the animated Spiderman movie which a lot of people won't watch simply due it it being animated.

On top of that, China LOVES movies with absolutely ridiculous CGI and Aquaman was packed full of it especially at the end.

Put all of that together and you get a movie bringing in a billion dollars.

BruceAndre likes this.
  15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This movie is so bad it's good. I don't know why I like it. The dialogue is terrible, the story generic, the special fx are a tad better than Sharknado, the acting is wooden...but it's still enjoyable. Maybe because it doesn't take itself too seriously? Or that it's like a bunch of 80's b movie vignettes strung together as a whole. Like you have 80's typical action opener with the one liners, , followed by Indiana Jones archaeological adventure, then some screwball comedy like Splash, then Journey to the center of the Earth and finally a Godzilla esque crescendo.

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

16. theimpossibles1

Lmao at some of y'all getting all worked up about incongruencies and plot holes in frickin superhero movies.

GRENDEL and vlaurelio like this.