1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mother's Day with Marilyn Manson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, May 21, 2012.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Marilyn Manson brought his traveling circus to Houston on May 13, 2012. Mother's Day to be exact.

I was originally denied a credential to shoot the show. No media on this tour was the official answer. So needless to say, I was very surprised when I got a phone call from my writer saying that I needed to be at the House of Blues in 30 minutes as he had secured a MM photo credential for me.

I got to the venue, just in time to shoot the openers, The Pretty Reckless and about an hour later, I was waiting to shoot MM when the tour manager comes up to me and tells me... "We're only approving you to shoot one song." I was ok with that, just happy to have to the opportunity to shoot. About five minutes later, I was told, "We've approved you to shoot two songs." I was beyond grateful... two songs is definitely better than one... So MM comes out on stage and as I go into the pit and start shooting. I'm getting some wide shots and waiting for the second song where I will shot some close ups of MM and the rest of the band... but as the song ends, I was told by security that the tour manager again, had changed her mind... it was only one song again.

I knew I had gotten a few choice images and I knew I was only going to need about 4 good shots for the review. Lucky for me, I got the shots needed for the review and I got a slideshow out of it too!

This was a heckuva shoot as the stage had two large risers across the front with only a 3 foot opening. Shooting the band was tough as they were behind the risers. The stage is already about 4.5 feet high, combine that with a two foot riser and a regular sized barricaded pit and I'm having to shoot straight up. With a crate in the middle of the pit my movement was slightly restricted. MM also sang this one song in almost the same position with little movement.

In hindsight, I should've opted for longer shots from the sides but we can look back all we want, the fact is, I shot one song under tricky conditions and still made it work.

More photos and a review on the Houston Press.

Equipment used: Canon 5D, Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70mm and 17-35mm.

[​IMG]
    Marilyn Manson - Houston, TX - 05.13.12 - 5DII_0100b by groovehouse, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Marilyn Manson - Houston, TX - 05.13.12 - 5DII_0068B by groovehouse, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Marilyn Manson - Houston, TX - 05.13.12 - 5DII_0050b by groovehouse, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Marilyn Manson - Houston, TX - 05.13.12 - 5DII_0033B by groovehouse, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Marilyn Manson - Houston, TX - 05.13.12 - 5D_0493B by groovehouse, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Marilyn Manson - Houston, TX - 05.13.12 - 5D_0507B by groovehouse, on Flickr

2. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Awesome pictures.
    How was the show?

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Nice shots. I've probably seen Manson 10 times but it's been a while. Whatever you think of his music, his shows are always entertaining.

Twiggy looks old :(

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Great story, dynamic pictures.

Looks like the band is getting a little chunky...could be the layering.