1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most anticipated match ups!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 7, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Man I can’t wait until October! Fall is my favorite time of the year. Halloween is my favorite Holiday (even though I don’t get a day off of work). And…NBA starts up again!

I probably spend more time than is healthy thinking about games and opponents next season and there are certain games that I can’t wait to see. The main game that I want to see is against Chicago. I wish we could play these guys more than twice because as bad as I hate Krause I think he has all the pieces to what will become a NBA powerhouse.

Of the teams that have been in the re-building process the last few years only two appear to have all of the pieces in place and LAL is not one of them…yet. Of course the two teams I am talking about are Chicago and Houston. Both teams may be a couple of years away from seriously contending but I think both will be very competitive this year and I think both will challenge for a play off spot.

The Houston Rockets vs. The Chicago Bulls

Center – Yao Ming vs. Eddy Curry. Both of these guys have been labeled as future superstars. Both have tasked with saving the position of center after years of really bad centers in both conferences. These two could provide the next premier match up of any two players in the league for the next 10 to 15 years. Wilt Chamberlain vs. Bill Russell; Lew Alcinder vs. Elvin Hayes; Moses Malone vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar; Hakeem Olajuwan vs. Shaquille O’Neal all over again. I can’t wait.

Power Forward – Eddie Griffin vs. Tyson Chandler. Another position where both teams have players that have been dubbed future superstars. Another position that might be dominated by these two for 15 years. KG wishes he had the talent around him that Tyson and Eddie have!

Small Forward - Bostjan Nachbar vs. Eddie Robinson. Boki has been described as a Peja type of player but he attacks the rim like someone that grew up in the states. Eddie Robinson is one of the most athletic players in the league and has shown he has the ability to be a high level small forward for years if he can just stay healthy. Both guys are young but both guys have lots of talent.

Shooting Guard – Cuttino Mobley vs. Jalen Rose. Both of these players are their teams senior players and both are all star caliber right now. If there is any question about what kind of match up we can expect from these two then we only need to watch last years double overtime game where these two carried their respective teams. Each player hit big shots down the stretch. Cat ended up with 37 and Jalen finished with 44.

Point Guard – Steve Francis vs. Jay Williams. This is the match-up that everyone probably wants to see next year. Both players were the second pick in that year’s draft. Steve was picked behind the Chicago pick and Jay was picked behind the Houston pick. How symmetrical. Steve wanted to go to Chicago, Jay went to Chicago. Steve is an all star point guard and Jay will be an all star point guard. Steve was the co-rookie of the year with Chicago player Elton Brand. Jay is expected to be rookie of the year…could it be as co-rookie with Houston player Yao Ming? What are the odds?

I really expect these two teams to be competing for the championship against each other a few times before these players end their careers and I expect both teams to play very good ball this year.

Anyway that’s my most anticipated match up so what’s yours and why?

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I'm curious to see how Nachbar will do defensively on the better sf's in the league.

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Personally I don't think Nachbar will have any more trouble guarding SFs in the NBA then any of the other rookies.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

You think the Bulls will challenge for a playoff spot?:confused:

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think the Bulls will positively surprise, mainly due to Jay Williams being added to the team.

They won't touch the Rockets, though! :D

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think in 3-4 years we can compare the teams. But, as of now, the Bulls will win a max of 30-35 games. It may take a couple of years before they make the playoffs.

7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

rocks vs mavs.
    i think we match them really well.
    griffin defends nowitzki
    mobley and finley
    francis and nash

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Bulls play in the East. Anything can happen. Who would have thought NJ would win the conference and the Bucks not even make the playoffs.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ming and Bradley;)

10. Stevie Francis

good post crash. As of now i want to see the rox play the lakers,wizards,kings,clippers, and mavs. Cause all these teams killed us.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I hope we don't develop the crap back in the past few seasons where we're good against the better teams, but SUCK against the sorry a$$ teams.

12. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

bradley sits on the bench

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I never thought about the breakdown, but it does on paper look very intriguing. Add the bench and coach comparison and I think we win by a landslide(on paper).

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Steve Francis going against all other point guards.