1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moses Malone compare with Olajuwon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 959sz, Sep 7, 2015.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Why bust a gut during the reg season when you know full well you are going to be in the playoffs and can turn it on.

The Lakers and Bulls did this a lot too. (except 72-10)

Jordan could average 30 in his sleep anyway.

2. what

what Member

I hate these types of comparisons, because it's always going to downgrade a player that was fantastic.

Moses was a great player and he did everything hakeem did. If you think hakeem was better than you just like hakeem.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Says the guy who constantly trolls this forum with "Duncan is better than Hakeem" drivel

4. what

what Member

I like duncan better than hakeem. he was a better teammate and that is unquestioned.

hakeem should have had about 4 championships with his talent, but he only got two. And also I think that people that truly idolize hakeem always reference the championship years and not the repetitive first round exits that nearly convinced the rockets to trade hakeem for stanley roberts.

again, if you can't look at hakeem's warts, you can't properly judge him as a player.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Like, I don't even get angry about it anymore.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Not really you can't compare the supporting cast in 94 to the supporting cast in 82. The 82 roster other than Moses were a bunch of journeymen and past their prime players.

36 yr old Elvin Hayes
    33 yr old Calvin Murphy
    That was the best of the bunch

The rest of that roster was mediocre at best. Its part of the reason why they let Moses walk the next year. They knew as long as Moses was here they would be stuck in mediocrity because Moses alone was good enough for them to sneak in the playoffs every year, but they would never have a chance for a title.

7. dream2franchise

Care to tell me some stories about your days playing with Duncan and Hakeem? :grin:

Vernon, Kenny and Robert Horry speak very highly of Hakeem as a teammate, leader and motivator. He may not have started as the greatest sport, but he is remembered as being a great teammate.

Anyways, being a great teammate hasn't hurt MJ's legacy much.

My concern is more with that ridiculous statement regarding the number of rings Hakeem 'should' have.

Talent gets you nowhere in the league. Not when it comes to championships. You also need great teammates, not just talented ones, but teammates who have all 'bought in' and play to win.

Then you'll need a coach who can harness all of that and keep them motivated season after season.

You'll need a GM who can put all of those players on the floor for the coach.

That GM will need scouts, analysts, assistants. He'll also need an owner committed to winning. Spending where necessary and putting his faith in everyone to do their job.

After all that you still need health. Just look at what happened your Grizz (they're still your team, yeah?). Having Allen and Conley for the whole series could have changed everything. Look at what happened to the '86 Rockets!

Match ups too, can't forget those. If we met the Sonics in 94 we might not even be talking about the Rockets having two rings. If the Bulls met us in the finals during their first three-peat then maybe MJ isn't seen as some kind of deity who never missed a shot because we had their number.

1 person likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to tell you that "WHAT" dude is not a real Rockets fan

he's a troll.

You write about NWA, he'll troll with something terrible like 2 Live Crew

You write about Hakeem, he's going to troll with Jordan, which is what non Rockets fan do

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Moses was like double a Zach Randolf type of player, not that athletic but mean, and tough, and relentless.

Dream was WAY better than Moses on defense and was even on offense.

DD

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Moses was MVP of the league three times. Saying Moses was "nowhere near the player Olajuwon was" is just not accurate in my opinion.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nowhere near the OVERALL player. Moses was great, but his overall game was simply not as good as Olajuwon's. Olajuwon was a better shooter, a better passer, a better and far more mobile defender, he blocked more shots, had more steals, what more needs to be said? Moses was a better rebounder, a MUCH better offensive rebounder, and you could make a case that Moses was tougher in the low post, but his overall game was simply not as polished as Olajuwon's. Moses was a damn bull though, and a better offensive player than people give him credit for. He was very skilled, more so than people remember, but his overall game just wasn't as polished. Olajuwon could simply do more things on the basketball court than Moses Malone ever could, ergo, he was the better overall player.

1 person likes this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

And for what it is worth, you are right. I did qualify my statement a little later, but to say he was "nowhere near the player Olajuwon was" is probably a little harsh. Moses was a beast. I should have been more careful with my initial wording.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

LMAO

Duncan (and his fans) just need to be happy he was surrounded with better talent and coaching and faced weaker bigs than many players he's compared to.

LMAO

Many Duncan fans get upset when you say he's not a PF. Guess what... he's not.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I barely remember the Moses Malone on the Rockets and most of my memory of the Malone was in his later years playing for teams like the Bullets. At least from what I've seen of watching videos from Malone's prime Malone played with much more toughness than Dream in his prime. Dream's game though was much more varied and I think that sets him apart from Moses.

That is no knock on Malone though. He is rightfully up there on the Pantheon of great centers with guys like Dream, Jabbar, Russell, Wilt and Shaq. I just think overall Dream was better.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Spurs do that almost every year.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Ya'll be careful with what you say about big mo, he can probably read this stuff. He might just reject your attempts to get through the pearly gates because that man KNEW how to block out.

17. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

Spurs have perfected it

18. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

19. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

I did

Moses was a great player and made me a fan for life. I hated that we were trading him but understood why and was glad that he was going to play somewhere where I thought he could have won a ring. I loved him that much.

I saw about every game that Hakeem played in college as I was a student and was shocked beyond belief that we were able to draft him. Hakeem was definitely a more finesse player but dominant. Moses was a powerful player in his way.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Some Moses game action in his MVP season of 1979

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DJ8lbWz1sBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>