1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOREY] LeBron James>>>>>>> Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 15, 2018.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Very difficult to compare players from different eras that played different positions. Imagine if Hakeem spent a decade in the Lebron Era Eastern Conference...

Olajuwon won a second championship going through Malone and Stockton's Utah Jazz, Barkley's Suns, Robinson's Spurs, and O'Neal's Magic. All four teams had won 57 or more games that season. Not sure any other team went through a gauntlet like that. Olajuwon is also the only player in NBA history to win DPOY, MVP, and Finals MVP in one season. LeBron has never been Defensive Player of the Year.

I don't know who's better, but I'm glad I got to see Hakeem Olajuwon's Houston Rockets. Not just the games I went to at The Summit, but those I watched on tv or listened to on the radio. It was a great time to be a kid.

2. Know Your Role

Magic > Lebron.

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

4. hakeemthagreat

Ehhh. Great player, but Lebron's CLEARLY a stat padder & ring chaser. Lebron may be statistically the better, but Hakeem impacted the game more & was there every time it counted. Also the path to Hakeem's championships was 10X tougher than Lebron's.

lw17 and Know Your Role like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Analytics have their limitations. Morey doesn't realize that. Put him in a tougher era, with different rules, and his stats will look different too.
    Yes, I know I can't prove this, but there were many tough teams to go through in the 80-90's. There is a video clip of the Dream on youtube, saying Lebron is great, but Jordan is better than him.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

lol @ "Book it!!"

Never in the entire history of ClutchFans has someone said "Book it!!" about something that actually came to pass afterward.

"Book it!!" will pretty much guarantee you epic failure around these parts, my friend.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bet you there will be a new Melo thread tomorrow. BOOK IT!!

topfive likes this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

To be the GOAT IMHO you have to have elite, if not unmatched killer instinct/competitiveness. I was born in 1960, so I only have perspective for guys I saw or remember in the late 60s, early 70s and beyond.

#1 - Jordan
    #2 - Olajuwon
    #3 - Magic
    #4 - Bird
    #5 - Kobe
    #6 - Duncan
    #7 - Havlicek
    #8 - LeBron
    #9 - Stockton
    #10 - Isiah Thomas (the first)

These guys were/are pure competitors and made you beat them personally. I don't really like Kobe, LeBron or Isiah, but they're competitor spirit has always set them apart from most players.

lw17, dreamshakin and Know Your Role like this.
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

*** all that BS

your verbal fellating of Lebitch does not make him the goat despite Morey's stupidity today

lw17 likes this.
  10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Lebron is the most overrated player of this generation. I like the guy and what he does off the court but he's got way too many fans thinking he's a god on the court.

lw17, dreamshakin and Tfor3 like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hakeem would have been the GOAT habds down if he was drafted by the Bulls instead of MJ.

Lebron would be unleashed in the 80s, not shackled by it. Dude has Malone's body with Kobe's speed he would trample all the wings in the 80s. No need for all the skill shots he does now, just bulk up and bulldoze his way to the paint Shaq-style.

12. BackdoorHarden

Hakeem would have killed Lebron if Hakeem played in this era.

dreamshakin and Tfor3 like this.
  13. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

14. Know Your Role

Otis Thorpe > Lebron.

Tfor3 likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lmao. Lebron isn’t remotely overrated. On the court he’s nearly flawless. I’d rather say Jordan is the better player but a couple more years at Lebron’s current level and it’s going to be really hard to make a case against him.

The best thing you can say about Hakeem is that if you took him 1st in a history wide draft of every player that ever played, you’d be totally reasonable. He isn’t better than Lebron but a Hakeem led team could certainly beat a Lebron one and that’s all that really matters.

16. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Morley Please! Harden is the GOAT. He’s gonna bring us back to back to back to back chips.

17. BackdoorHarden

Butkus

18. hakeemthagreat

He's not flawless lol. He may appear flawless beating up on eastern conference teams, but he's always been known to shrink at the highest stage. Hakeem NEVER shrunk even in defeat.

Lebron's has a more dynamic skill set. But Hakeem was a better basketball player, competed at a higher level against tougher competition. He impacted the game more. There was NEVER a game the ball didn't go thru Dream in the final seconds. Hakeem would NEVER avoid guarding the other team's best player. Analytics don't tell the whole story

dreamshakin, Tfor3 and Know Your Role like this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Is Lebron James the greatest of all time. No he isn't, he tainted his legacy, By going to Miami Chasing a Ring and doing Steroids in Miami, there is evidence he is cheating. I think he is still doing steroids because he looks so skinny in the offseason with no muscle mass, when the regular season starts he is roided up. Making fun of Dirk Nowitzki sickness and getting destroyed by Dirk. Duncan is better than LeBron, Dirk outplayed LeBron, DWade, Bosh. Being Swept by GSW and wearing a cast all of a sudden, making excuses for himself. He Flops his way to the Finals with Miami, He Complains, Has a Diva Mentality, Fought with Coaches Mike Brown, David Blatt, Tyronn Lue. Screamed at the Front Office during the Trade Deadline in trading for different players, this past season. No All Star joined him with the Lakers. Which is a huge telltale sign. Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Paul George all said no to LeBron.

lw17 likes this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

No one else has.