1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey is Playing CHESS while most posters are trying to teach him CHECKERS!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is playing 2k12

2. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Are we sure that hes not leveling us and trying to get Lin so he can get the chinese market with the help of Yao and with that pull dwight howard might be the biggest star in China and he would get the exposure and all the fame that the drama queen wants.

3. Relentless

Relentless Member

I'm getting tired of seeing this posted in every thread. It's getting pretty tired.

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Ok. So he upgrades his 'assets' to better trade for DH. I'll play along. Then we dump the best of the 'new and improved' assets for DH and a bad contract or two (Hedo or JRich).

Fact: DH doesn't want to be here.
    Fact: DH probably won't resign here.

Result: We end up with a DH rental, inherit a really bad contract or two (Hedo, JRich) to eat salary cap without production, and we end up with the 'worst' of the roster filler we currently have.

So where are we next offseason with no DH, lose the best of current 'assets', and are stuck Hedo and/or JRich, Asik, and roster filler?

I'm all for facilitating a trade to get DH somewhere else IF it benefits us. Otherwise I see no benefit in a DH rental that requires absorbing terrible contracts.

5. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Fact: Howard doesnt want play here (don't blame him he can make more money elsewhere)

Fact: Howard will probably be traded somewhere else (lakers, etc), although I put our chances at at least 1/3. If Orlando wants a rebuild, we win no question. If they want a blue chipper like Bynum and LA is prepared to do the deal, we lose.

Fact: if we trade for Dwight we have a better than 50-50 chance to keep him. I would out it at 3/4. Why? Because it will cost him $25-57m to walk away. If he went to NY or LA or Chicago he can make up for that in endorsements, but NONE OF THOSE TEAMS HAVE CAP ROOM TO SIGN HIM A FREE AGENT. When he looks around next year he may see Dallas (on downslide, no endorsements), Allanta (decent no endorsements). Not sure about others. But then he would really be giving uP real money to leave with no hope of making it up in endorsements. Thats why he is tryING to force a trade now. He fears being traded to a non-glamorous team because there are no more glamorous teams with cap space.

6. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Could you point out to the board who some of these good GMs are?

7. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Morey is playing Majong

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Well the other 29 GM's are Russian Grandmasters compared to Morey then.

9. chongx04

chongx04 Member

People are complaining about Morey, but don't offer any suggestions for him to improve what he's doing. Do you want him to give some bad contracts to mediocre players? Do you want him to overpay in trades for players? I just don't understand what people want, like they're just b****ing like philly fans but have no idea what they actually want, they just want to blame someone. Firing this guy is a mistake, like when people wanted Gerry Hunsicker gone, remember that...remember what he did in Tampa Bay?

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

But the game is BASKETBALL!

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I know what you men....these people are Relentless..:grin:

12. Aemon

Aemon Contributing Member

The ingenuity of Morey is that he keeps everyone guessing. By remaining confused, I as a fan can't make up my mind whether this man is really good or just has no effing clue!

13. MystikArkitect

One good thing he has done is his patience with Dwight. The Nets got impatient and instead traded for overpaid Joe Johnson instead of waiting out a potential Howard deal.

Dwight's stock is high right now but waiting it out through the offseason will only sink it. He just has to hope that the Lakers don't move forward with a swap for Bynum.

14. Margrave

Margrave Member

Morey is not playing Chess, he is playing poker, he is going all in on Howard, and the problem is he is on a draw and does not have a pat hand.

If it works, he might come out looking like a genius for a time - but only if Howard stays, if he leaves, we wasted a year.

I don't believe Morey is doing the right thing - at all.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My feeling is that Morey would rather rebuild, but Les is the Man...and he wants it NOW.

The plan appears to be go after Howard at all costs, while still having the option to cut to a rebuild....or heaven forbid another "direction."

Remember we are insured, to a point with Dwight...He can always be dealt at the deadline.

Even so, I think Howard IS coming here....and staying. As others have said before..too much money on the table to walk way.

Believe me, Les wouldn't be able to get away with all the shenanigans he has lately if DM the GM wasn't so good ....

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Except we waste more than a year.Giving up players from this years deep draft could take 2-3 years to get back equal talent.Then there is talk of Motiejunas and also the Toronto pick.It could take 5+ years to be in as good of a position as we are in today.

17. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Generally his trades have typically been terrific and brilliant:

Spanoulis for Scola
    Alston for Kyle Lowry
    AB0 for Dragic AND a first rounder
    Bobby Jackson + Donte Green for Ron Artest
    Ariza for Courtney Lee

His FA moves have been generally poor:

Brad Miller - this WAS a bad contract created by Morey
    Trevor Ariza - another bad contract by Morey, but fixed w/great trade for Lee.
    Steve Francis - low risk, no reward,
    Brent Barry - low risk, no reward,

Morey's FA track record is not good, and I don't like players that are one dimensional like Asik. I want two way players on this team - not someone that doesn't need to be guarded, or can't guard their own shadow.

This offseason is puzzling. I can't tell if it's a serious of disjointed desperate moves that mostly suck, or if there is a master plan (DH or something else)?

Looking at what we have now (without some hope that we're not done moving pieces around) is depressing:

C: Asik, DMo (I'm assuming Asik is not matched)
    PF: Scola, PPat, Leuer, Marcus Morris, Terrence Jones
    SF: Parsons, White, Forbes
    SG: Martin, Lamb
    PG: Livingston, Machado (I'm assuming Lin is matched)

Fortunately I think the above roster will change a lot over the next 2 weeks.

#57 PolarBear, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Doc Morey looks on ...

Rocket River

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, everybody expects Morey to turn copper into gold overnight.

And Morey has shown us repeatedly that, in terms of making the team better (albeit at a slow pace thus far), he knows what he's doing. There have been many moves that seemed questionable to me (and many of us) but worked out. Plus, when he's ever actually had something to work with, he's usually done good things with it.

People needa chill.

20. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The Houston Rockets have NOT BEEN THE Destination of choice for free agents. Back when they were, it was because Barkely, Pippen, Drexler, etc wanted to ride the coattails of Hakeem.

Up until now, the Rockets DID NOT have the cap space to offer. It's taken a while, but now cap space is on the horizon.

Y'all forget that the Rockets were "all-in" with Yao/McGrady, and when it did not work, they just had to bite the bullet with the Max contracts they had on the books. Except the "The Kevin Martin contract" which is still a remnance of the T-Mac "expiring contract for value calls"... Rick Adelman wanted Kevin Martin on board. There was still hope that Yao Ming could come back... Also the rule changes really affected Kevin Martin's effectiveness - now he doesn't get to the line as much. The board was ecstatic that the Rockets had attained the ultra efficient Martin.

Facts remain simple!!! Houston can't attract free agents with it's glitz - I know we all love our fair city (but the national perception of our city isn't as highly touted). Also there had not been any cap room. Up until Yao Ming officially retired, the Rockets were still putting band-aids hoping he could anchor the team.

If Yao and McGrady would have stayed healthy, Morey was primed to put the best team to surround their talents. Battier, Scola, Artest, Lowry, Brooks as the prime support would have been ideal.

Either way, it does not matter what the nay-sayers or the pro-Morey people post in these threads. Ultimately, Leslie Alexander is the guy who will choose who his GM is!!!