1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey is Playing CHESS while most posters are trying to teach him CHECKERS!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Third eye

Third eye Member

Famous quote from the wire-"why you playin checkers on a chess board?"
    "well ya see these here are morey's pawns"-"Dwight Howard is ur queen"

2. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Moneyball works and produces great role players, but it in no way gets you a star. That's on Morey alone. And they don't seem to be convinced by his organization, personality or charm. We needed Morey when we had Yao and T-Mac and needed role players to surround them. Not so sure he's up to the challenge of attracting new stars.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Hysterical flip-floppers, knee-jerkers, short attention span having, and overall determination to forever be unsatisfied people (aka 60+% of CF) will never find it easy to root for Morey.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I find chess to be a waste of time.

Snakes and Ladders.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

:(....

6. mic

mic Contributing Member

I think these poison pills/nickel and diming that he does give him a really bad reputation as a GM others don't want to deal with, and it's just reinforced through the media. It doesn't do us any favors.

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Another fan of Morey... Look buddy, Morey is smart but his intelligence have not gotten this team anywhere for the past 3 seasons. The last 3 years have been nothing but average. If he was that good of a GM, the Rockets wouldn't be in this situation right now.

Stop saying Morey getting all this mediocre players in exchange for Howard. Get over it. The Magic are not stupid like the Rockets. They will not trade their all star center for a bunch of mediocre players that Morey somehow thinks is so valuable. The Magic will only trade Howard if its benefits them in the long run. They don't want mid lottery players and average talent. Every single team in the NBA has what we have right now but more to offer.

The Rockets doesn't even have a PG and no center but a bunch of mediocre forwards. They are overpaying a center in Asik who is somewhat below average but they want him just because he's a 7 footer. They lost Dragic because they can't match what Phoenix offered him and they traded a top 10 PG in Lowry for a pick. They have nothing to offer Orlando. What are they going to trade? Scola, Martin, Lamb, White, Parsons? If they traded those players, the Rockets are left with nothing to help Howard anyway. Plus they think they can still try to convince Howard to stay when the Rockets barely have anyone left on this team to help him... Dwight much rather play alongside Deron Williams with Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace or a Kobe Bryant, Nash, and a Gasol other than this team that is struggling to find a single PG...

If Morey was that great, he wouldn't be feeling so much pressure right now and be on the hot seat. He knows this team desperately need a direction and he hasn't steer this team anywhere for the past 3 season. Guys like you and many others keep saying he's not sitting on his ass because he's always working his butt off but you guys fail to see that he has to work his butt off or else he's gone. This past 3 years has been a waste of nothing.

8. David Stern

David Stern Member

Dumb thread. How is letting Dragic go to another team on a reasonable contract and overpaying Lin playing chess?

9. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Those actually make sense for obvious reasons I won't go into since they've been covered to death in other threads. The biggest question mark is signing a nobody bench warmer Asik to a three year $25 million dollar deal. WTF???

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Another titanic optimist. Reality is that the ship has sailed and sunk. The dreamers are still dancing on the upper deck.

I have zero confidence that Morey will be able to swindle a superstar player this season. If I am wrong, I will be gladly become a contributing member the day after.

11. BamBam

Putting the Howard situation aside, Morey's greatest problem is that for better or for worse
    he has the reputation of being able to swindle someone like Paul Neuman in the Hustler,
    and the moment people figure you out nobody wants to play pool with you anymore.....

12. Summer Song Giver

I agree to an extent, it all stems from Morey's super hard on for Horward.

I have two questions regarding the Howard situation which I believe all of Morey's moves ultimately lead back to.

If we trade for Howard, the contract situation, we have his Bird rights correct, which means we can sign him outright for more than any other team next summer, what is the difference in a bird rights deal and non bird rights deal for Dwight Howard? I would like to know the amount that Howard would be walking away from should Morey play hardball with Howard, play here in Houston or lose X amount of dollars over the life of your next contract.

My next question is regarding Brooklyn. I know Howard has little to no leverage on where he is dealt if Orlando chooses that route, but is Brooklyn in a position cap wise now that they have Joe Johnson and Deron resigned to accept Howard's salary in either a Bird rights deal (S&T) or non Bird rights deal?

Just curios and I know these questions are somewhat out of place in this thread but if someone could help me understand it'd be appreciated.

Carry on.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Regardless of which board game we are playing...we are still getting are rear handed to us...

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We fans are not trying to teach Morey any board games. We are simply bored with his games.

1 person likes this.
  16. BamBam

Nice.......

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Sure he is playing chess? What if he is playing PS3 or Uno?

18. Asian Sensation

He's not playing games. We all know Morry is at Golden Corral getting his eat on.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Let me tell you something young man. I know you are young because you talk of men as if you unrealistic views on human and their limits. Every man has his strengths and weaknesses. If a man is working while using his weaknesses which even Morey has he will fail in his endeavors. Morey has strengths and weaknesses. That people find him infallible is a weakness of us as well. To find a persons strength is to cheer for the right direction and goal. Moreys strength is rebuilding and finding young assets. To have good drafts out out of decent draft positions. So to find him a high draft pick and to rebuild from the ground up is his strength. Those of you pushing huge moves like Howard on him are working on his weakness. He is not a people person who can build in that way.

So get realistic and study the man you are talking about instead of making him into something he is not by idolotry

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Only one of them needs to reach your opponent back row to have a queen ;)