1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey in the hot seat??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UrbanEnterprise, Oct 4, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe it's too dangerous for China to let its citizens enjoy sports in free countries. People could share opinions that rock their world.

Probably best to just watch the CBA.

dmoneybangbang and malakas like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shanghai got beat by 70 points by a rockets squad that didn’t care

If they don’t want to watch the nba they can go back and watch bad basketball

pantherheat1022, smp, Plowman and 3 others like this.
  3. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Tilman told Morey to shut up and listen and buy his book

4. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Cool cool

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Whew....

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is the last straw for Morey.

I bet he's gone by next season.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey should have shut up and stick to basketball.

Tilman should just shut up. Period.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wonder what kind of clause he has in his extension about taking on another GM position if he either gets fired or he quits outright.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The more I think about it this more it's a problem with Tilman's delivery and not his message/tweet itself. He could/should have been more tactful in saying something like:

"I have no issues with Daryl's opinion on matters however his tweet should not be considered a representation of the Rockets and/or the NBA"

that's the same message but without the assholeness that Tilman is accustomed to. Basically Tilman needs a PR guy.

Richie_Rich, Deckard, Easy and 3 others like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

what happened to tilman saying hell keep issues with the organization behind closed doors and that he learned from this past year. stfu for once

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

His ahole response also presents itself as just as political in nature as a repudiation of Morey's thoughts on HK. Its like that blonde lady from Fox telling Lebron to "Shut up and Dribble." Telling someone to stop having a political opinion in a manner like that is typically just a way of showing disagreement with the original opinion... Not disagreement in exercising the opinion. It's hard to see Tilman having that visceral of a reaction, and not vehemently disagreeing with Morey's opinion on the HK protests. Which makes his response all the more political and hypocritical.

steddinotayto, D-rock and malakas like this.
  13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I support Morey for his stance, but he can't make it publicly because China is too sensitive. Credit Tillman for doing the right thing because Morey can get ban from entering China for choosing a stance against China maybe it is too late. A lot of HK celebrities and singers don't want to speak out because they will get ban in China. Except Jackie Chan who is pro-China and he likely is not welcomed in Taiwan, some parts of HK. I know some of this because my @#$@#$@#$@#

I support a peaceful demonstration, non-violence, but what they are doing is anarchism and lawlessness. Destroying property and disrupting lives of citizens is not what I call constructive, or productive. I hope my @#$@#$@# can go back home to visit.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. jcf

jcf Member

Or he is concerned about the bottom line for his business. I don't think Tilman was espousing anti-HK protest views. I read it as him trying to keep the Rockets out of politics.

Plowman likes this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm sure he has an army of them. The question is: would he bother listening to one if he did hire another PR person?

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. dobro1229

His whole mantra is "shut up and listen".... meaning my opinion is the only one that matters. He wants everyone around him to placate and kiss the ring, but he's allowed to go on political cable tv all the time, and talk about himself & his beliefs about how mistreated billionaires are, etc.

I think the world could use a little less narcissistic billionaires, and little more from smart people who aren't afraid to speak their minds on tough topics.

clutchdabear, D-rock, smp and 2 others like this.
  17. dobro1229

Could be his intent sure. I'm just saying the reality of burning someone for expressing a political or social opinion is almost always reflective to disagreeing with the original opinion... not the process of displaying the opinion. It's a problem of perception which makes his response problematic & just as political even if its unintentional.

jcf and malakas like this.
  18. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I see.

For writting China adopted simplified Chinese cause its way easier to learn, read and write. It is the official written language of China for any business. Traditional Chinese is still around these days mostly used in for and history purposes. In fact there are dedicated mandatory classes in elementary/middle schools teaching it. Average mainlanders can read traditional Chinese with no problems.

As for speaking Mandarin is the official language. Every city in China has some sort of dialect. Mandarin is needed for people from different part of the country to communicate. But people speak their local dialect ALL THE TIME. Walk in the streets of Shanghai you are guaranteed to hear more Shanghai dialect than Mandarin. My grandma lived in a small village most of her life and speaks no Mandarin. When my friend from a city 60 kms away talks to her they cannot understand each other at all. My wives parents are from Guangdong and when they speak Cantoe at home I can only understand a little bit My dad works in a provincial government department, even at work they talk to each other in local dialect and only use Mandarin when giving speeches or talking to people who speak other dialects. Even Mao and Deng never spoke Mandarin, they spoke in Hunan dialect. Mandarin is a tool to help people from different part of the country communicate. If you want to speak to your friends in Cantoe go ahead no body gives a ****.

Here is a widely popular TV show of traditional art performed in the dialect of Henan province.

I don't know where u get the idea China is trying to destroy your local culture and language it's ****ing ridilculas, the government actually spend tons of effort to embracing them. It sounds like anlther stupid narrative created by anti-China assholes to create hate between mainland and Hongkong.

dlite316 likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

The cause aside, normally if a celebrity do something like this, I'd chuck it to lack of media savy. But for someone who's used Twitter so much and with purpose, I doubt that is the case.

He can be genuine about cause (not virtue signaling) and doesn't strike me as a guy that fights for attention. He's then passionate enough about the cause to make a tweet, but also... surely aware enough that the political views can ruffle feathers with their Chinese partnerships which took Rockets Org years to build.

Daryl know many users that follow him are for his professional (basketball,) reasons. Players, Reporters, Rocket fans, NBA fans, Basketball Ops people, some math/stat heads. People normally don't just follow him for his personal life and belief (no offense Daryl). Mixing personal views through professional outlets is risky.

As a fan if I sub to sports outlet for sports content, I'd want just that. If you use Twitter for work then stick to that. We don't see Woj bombs about low Afghan election turn out. Daryl can make another account for his personal stuff fav movies or random jokes or support for HK. In this case I agree with the owner, but maybe instead tweeting back, have a personal one on one like a normal boss and employee. Every big company have social media policies, so they can review if those rules are abide by.

20. Buck Turgidson

There is a 0.0% chance that the Rockets ever leave Houston.

And as was mentioned earlier: if all this Chinese money isn't being spent on the payroll by going into the LT, why do we as fans care?

Deckard, fchowd0311 and B-Bob like this.