1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey has built a solid team :)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Dec 23, 2010.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sarramento had a lot more talent than us,but their weaknesses were a lack of a go to guy,and defense despite having fantastic passers on their team. They had good shooters,but Peja failed in the clutch. Poor referring couldn't hide their shortcomings.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny we have the same weaknesses. Lack of a goto guy, poor defense, shooters that fail in the clutch....AND LESS talent?

RA has always been criticized for his teams having poor fundamentals. And we are seeing this with our team. Problem is that RA can coach vets but he sucks with younger guys. Sactown was full of vets - they got rid of Jason Williams for Mike Bibby because RA couldn't teach Williams how to play the point.

He can only coach vet players and we are a team full of young guys. He's the wrong coach for this team.

3. Breaker

Breaker Member

I am very concerend about this as well. Then you add Hayes and Battier who are non-existent off offense. Thats our satrting 5 basically. Its a horrible mix.

4. fattz

fattz Member

I think RA is getting all he can with what is he has ( yes, I too would like to see T-Will ).

Hill is coming on strong... ( the Knick's staff? )
    Brooks came up under him.. ( here is a point (pun) - maybe Williams was not ready to learn at that time )
    C-Bud ( well think about last year )

I think teaching is more than the coaches responsibility... Just a thought.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Ekpe Udoh, anyone? Would this guy fit better in our rotation than Hill?

6. J-Man

J-Man Member

Mebbe cuz he sucks so much he isnt considered an NBA player.....

7. rockets4llday

rockets4llday Member

Bud wat happened to u

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Possibly yes. He seems more intelligent,and has good hands. He has more range on his outside shot. I feel he can develop into a better all round player than Hill.
    The one advantage that Hill has is athleticism and jumping ability.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

But if you look at Hill, Brooks, and C-Bud - they all suffer in basic fundamentals. They are undisciplined, play poor D, and are all a bit wild. They are like children raised in the jungle.

In fact, look at Martin, he was brought under RA in sac-town and you can see all the flaws to his game. Great scorer but sucks at everything else.

Rudy T really instilled a lot of discipline on his players. You think Robert Horry and Sam Cassell became successful veterans by accident?

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Adelman sucks with younger guys? I would say he has done a great job with Aaron Brooks and is doing good with Jordan Hill and even got some very good play out of Budinger last season. Adelman teams actually are very sound fundamentally, they move the ball around get open shots and share the offensive load, even though he gets maligned they statistically aren't that bad defensively and play decent team defense. Adelman teams do the stuff that high school and college coaches preach. The problem though is that good fundamental ball isn't always a winning formula especially in a star driven league.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it depends what you are looking at. Few players are going to excel at all aspects of the game and Brooks and Martin clearly have problems with D but are pretty sound offensively. Brooks wildness I think is partly due to him having to take on the load of being a creator in the clutch. Buddinger seems to be having a bit of a crisis in confidence. Hill looks like he is making nice progress towards being a good offensive and defensive threat.

12. STUD

STUD Rookie

Of your suggesting Udoh for Hill, I would say no. Jordan Hill is the only athletic big we have in our front court.

However I would consider a Patrick Patterson and 2nd rounder and/or Ishmael Smith for Ekpe Udoh... seems like fair trade to me..

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Are you just asking in a completely hypothetical sense? It's not like Udoh is available.

Anyhow, I think he would. Unlike Hill, he actually looks to have a decent feel for the game when he played against us, but that was also his best game this year. He also seems to always have his motor running...unlike Hill. He is also a natural shot blocker, unlike Hill.

I think in the games where Hill has kept hustling he looks like a difference maker and like a PF/C for the Rockets future. However, he also has games where he just where he looks lost and unmotivated. It seems like those moments are happening less often, but his consistency simply is not anywhere close to what it should be for a legit NBA starter. I hope he can put it all together, because he has shown some flashes that make him look like he has the "potential" to be very good.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol...I don't think GSW would think that is a fair trade.

From the Rockets perspective would you ever trade down from the #6 pick to the #14 pick to pick up a 2nd rounder/undrafted free agent?

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I would disagree. While he does teach guys a good offensive set and ball movement, I've seen better ball movement on other teams with shorter time with a coach.

Brooks Hill, and C-bud continue to make the same mistakes on both ends of the floor. Most coaches would sit guys who repeats the same mistakes until they get it into their head. No Adelman. No, he'll just let them continue playing.

When you look at the teams he's had that have been successful, it's because it's been loaded with vets. Bibby, Webber, Divacs, Christie were all guys from other teams.

Brooks success is in spite of Adelman's coaching, not because of it. If our team was fundamentally sound why do we fall apart for such long stretches against mediocre teams?

16. albuster

albuster Member

Nicely said/written.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

im not sure if GS is against trading him or just not shopping him. Udoh's ceiling may not be as high as Hill's, at least not as an overall talent, but he's already well ahead of him in shot blocking. I think he could be another Emeka Okafor type and that may be the type of center this team needs to pair up with their perimeter scoring. I liked what i saw from him during the Tourney, but wasn't sure it would translate to the NBA. Small sample so far, but he's blocking at a great rate.

But udoh would become the only shot blocking big we have...and you can combat athleticism with good shot blocking, but you can't always use athleticism against athleticism, especially when Hill's lacks some explosion.

Height: Hill by 0.5 inch
    Weight: Udoh by 5 lbs
    Wingspan: Udoh by 3 inches
    No step vertical: Equal
    Max vertical: Hill by 1.5 inches
    Strength: equal
    Speed: equal
    Lane agility: Udoh by about a second (measures lateral speed)

18. RX2012

RX2012 Member

the concept of a star driven league has ruined the sport!

19. STUD

STUD Rookie

Interesting, you left some out ...

Standing reach: Jordan Hill 9'0 | Ekpe Udoh 8'10.5
    No step vertical reach: Jordan Hill 11'7 | Ekpe Udoh 11'5.5
    Max vertical reach: Jordan Hill 11'11 | Ekpe Udoh 11'9

Jordan is still the better overall athlete and has the better overall size(and potential)...I'll give you that Udoh has better shot blocking instincts, but Jordan has better overall tools. So i rather just develop Hill...

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How is Jhill the better overall athlete? He's not faster, more agile, stronger, etc. He's just barely taller and that's a structural thing and not so much athleticism. That accounts for his higher reach and vertical, which is why i left those stats out. It goes without saying based on his height and vertical max. If he's not using those advantages to be a better shot blocker than Udoh, then they're not much of an advantage.

Still seems to me like the better fit is Udoh. As far as talent and potential, it's not like Hill will be Amar'e and Udoh a Chris Anderson. The gap is small.