1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey has built a solid team :)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

This team will win nothing with Scola/Martin/Brooks as its core i can pretty much gaurantee that. They'll win a few meaningless games that's about it. But that trio is non existent on defense. If i were Morey i would look to trade them for picks. Right now they are fighting for the 8th seed. I would look to clear as much cap space as possible for 2012. That is when the team will be much better.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

They're a nice complementary core though for a legitimate superstar-which could probably be acquired by either letting Yao's contract as well as some others expire or using his expiring->that core could theoretically be intact and Morey could add one or even two impact players to it without having to trade any of those guys.

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

If you look at RA's teams, he builds TEAMS, i.e., teams that are teams, not really relying on superstars.

If DM went into a coma tomorrow, and the Rox stopped making trades, by the 2011 playoffs, this team would make it to the third round.

Championship? Give DM a few more moves. We'll get there.

4. pbthunder

If next year's cap is $55 million (it will come down after these negotiations), we're $20 million over that right now. We could cut $34 million by losing Yao, Battier, Hayes, Jeffries, FWIW, there's another $9 million we could have by walking away from Hill, Brooks, Budinger, and Lee - not that I want that, but it's there.

Next season, Gerald Wallace is $10.7 million, Iggy is $13.5 million. Or, for $14 million, we could afford any but the top 3 centers or so. We could add one such player in addition to AB/KL, KM/Lee, TWill/Budinger, Scola/Hayes, Hill/Miller. And, our team salary would be at the cap, meaning we'd have lots of flexibility as we build it back up to LT level.

BTW, forget traded player/disabled player exceptions in this scenario - if you go under the cap, you lose your exceptions, at least in the current CBA.

5. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Settle down Beavis. Our five recent wins came over teams with absolutely atrocious records.

6. pbthunder

Actually, when I said '2011 playoffs,' I meant the playoffs following the next season, i.e., the 2012 playoffs.

7. rockets4llday

rockets4llday Member

but theres one thing i didnt see is SIZE!!!!

and a very good analogy, we need a leader that is a superstar. martin MIGHT be the superstar but he is DEFINETELY not a leader like battier. if only they meshed each others games. one can dream right, after all its christmas!!!!!!!!

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Martin can't create off the dribble. Superstar he is not.

9. vince

vince Member

I like how Morey is doing things. He's built a solid team which is on solid ground. And by that I mean, that this team is competitively entertaining, it has expiring large contracts, one could argue that every player on the roster needs more playing time, it has a coach that has instilled his system within the rotation guys, it's got finances to add more salary. To me it's just a FUN TEAM TO WATCH...

10. rockets4llday

rockets4llday Member

The rockets are always fun for me to watch win or lose

11. vince

vince Member

By Fun I mean, they have you on pins and needles throughout the game. They are basically in every game; which is very entertaining.

They've made a game out of almost every contest this season.

12. nebula955

nebula955 Member

That's silly...Ray Allen/Reggie Miller couldn't create off the dribble. Shaq couldn't dribble either. There's different types of players. If you score the same # of total points in the end, it really doesn't matter.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really? I seem to recall that his only TEAM that went to the NBA finals had a guy named Clyde Drexler. Oh, and that sacremento team that challenged the lakers to 7 gamed (and lost) had this fellow named Chris Webber

We don't have anyone comparable to either of those guys. Even if we did, RA has proven that's not enough, and he was in an era when you only had two big stars to contend against on other teams, not 3 like today.

Unless we get some bigtime stars we are going no where

14. pbthunder

1) As I already corrected myself, I mis-spoker, er, -typed. I meant, the playoffs after next season, which would be 2012.
    2) The third round is not the finals. The finals is the fourth round.

So, I meant that they would make it to the conference finals of the 2012 playoffs.

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I am very concerend about this as well. Then you add Hayes and Battier who are non-existent off offense. Thats our satrting 5 basically. Its a horrible mix.
    No one can so anything but shoot long open jumshots game after agme.

The only non one-dimensional players we have are Lowry, Lee, T-Will, Hill. They can D up and are slightly above aveage scorers. Lowry, Lee and T-Will can do more than take jump shots in offense as well. IMO these guys should be kept to accomodate and compliment the star we have been chasing. I am full in favor of trading our one-dimensianal trio for something better in return.

Morey is supposed to be a stats guy. Obviously he just looks at efficiency at scoring an nothing else. But he gets them at goo deals. Its all YAO's fault cause the team was supposed to be built around him.

I dont care how Morey puts it but WE HAVE TO START OVER now that YAO is no longer going to be cenrtal focus for this team.

IMO we need a new TMAC-YAO like combo again. Where we have a dominant big guy who can draw double teams down low as well as dominate the paint in defense as well. And a perimiter player that can draw double teams and create for everyone else while being a solid wing defender as well. Then surround them with non one-dimensional athelectic roleplayers and a solid coach. Kep that core for at least 5 years plus.

Where/What is this maximum potential of our current TRIO at the best? a 1st round upset like the Warriors and Dallas. Nothing further than that.

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I am very concerend about this as well. Then you add Hayes and Battier who are non-existent off offense. Thats our satrting 5 basically. Its a horrible mix.

The only non one-dimensional players we have are Lowry, Lee, T-Will, Hill. They can D up and are slightly above aveage scorers. Lowry, Lee and T-Will can do more than take jump shots in offense as well. IMO these guys should be kept to accomodate and compliment the star we have been chasing. I am full in favor of trading our one-dimensianal trio for something better in return.

Morey is supposed to be a stats guy. Obviously he just looks at efficiency at scoring an nothing else. But he gets them at goo deals. Its all YAO's fault cause the team was supposed to be built around him.

I dont care how Morey puts it but WE HAVE TO START OVER now that YAO is no longer going to be cenrtal focus for this team.

IMO we need a new TMAC-YAO like combo again. Where we have a dominant big guy who can draw double teams down low as well as dominate the paint in defense as well. And a perimiter player that can draw double teams and create for everyone else while being a solid wing defender as well. Then surround them with non one-dimensional athelectic roleplayers and a solid coach. Kep that core for at least 5 years plus.

Where/What is the maximum potential of our current TRIO? A 1st round upset like the Warriors and Dallas at best. Nothing further than that.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

IMO we need a new TMAC-YAO like combo again. Where we have a dominant big guy who can draw double teams down low as well as dominate the paint in defense as well. And a perimiter player that can draw double teams and create for everyone else while being a solid wing defender as well (TMAC could not defend). Then surround them with non one-dimensional athelectic roleplayers and a solid coach. Kep that core for at least 5 years plus.

Where/What is the maximum potential of our current TRIO? A 1st round upset like the Warriors and Dallas at best. Nothing further than that.

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Buddinger and Miller are uselelss as well

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Can some one please delete my last 3 threads and just keep my first one. Soory guys. I dont know how to edit after you have already posted.

20. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah it is a very solid team, it's unfortunate that our interior defense has been injured so much, not much you can do about that.

If they could somehow add a presence in the paint, that's an automatic 10+ wins right there and home court in the playoffs.