1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey [1560] Early This Morning

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jan 20, 2010.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey folks,

Morey was on early this morning. He was heading to the airport so he had some time to catch up with John and Lance.

Just a mini recap from today.

Morey spoke about T-Mac. Said there wasn't any ill feelings towards him. They hope to trade him to a team where he can prove himself and the Rockets wrong. He said that T-Mac was working out with Grover still from his knowledge.

He talked about how the Rockets are currently playing. He's not too worried about all the minutes that Brooks and Landry are logging. Thinks the other teams are starting to figure them out. He said that more teams are going to a zone defense when Hayes, Ariza, and Lowry are on the court. Thinks the team is a little tired mentally with having to play soo hard. IMO, Morey was hinting that for the Rockets to make the playoffs, they are going to have to make a trade this season. You could sense it in his conversation with John and Lance. He said 48 wins are what is needed to make the playoffs this year. He said the Rockets are on pace to win 46. He thought our record would of been worse at this point of the season. He stated that our 6 game homestand is going to be very important.

He stated that the league is heating up right now with trade talks. He said the lines are busy and that Marc Bermann is calling him like all the time. He truly believes that a big time player will be available because of the economy. He also thought the same thing last year but he said that he was wrong.

Overall, it was a great interview. I think Morey realizes that something has to change. I do believe he's targeting someone big just from the way he's talking. We might have to wait till Feb. 19 before a deal happens. LOL he said he'll break the news to 1560 when T-Mac is traded.

http://www.1560thegame.com/podcasts/

1 person likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks for posting. It doesn't add much to what we already know, but every little tidbit helps. It's a long way to the trade deadline.

Again, thanks.

3. Garner

Garner Member

Thanks for the update!

I anticipate something happening between Feb. 10th- 19th. This teams are going to wait until they have their backs against the wall and then , and only then, will they concede to making a trade with Daryl Morey.

4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

It doesn't add much but IMO, I think it reiterates how majority of fans here feel and think. I'm looking forward for the deadline.

5. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I also forgot to mention that Morey stated that there's only 3 teams in the league that are willing to take on more money. He said that Rockets, Cavs, and the Mavs are the only three teams that would take on more money. I thought that was interesting as well.

6. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

thanks.

wouldn't Morey be obligated to break the news first to 610?

7. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Thank you for the info & link.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They have 2 really good contracts to play with and a gm that can close a big deal. This is the team i suspect will make a big trade.

9. tested911

tested911 Member

I Love DM!!! He tells it like it is without showing his hand.. When he said "Nobody on this team is untouchable" I was smiling ear to ear, knowing that DM wants a championship team now... I know many on this board have an emotional bond with some of our guys because of how hard they worked but I trust DM on making any decision he wants to do.. (Like we have a choice :)) Bosh,Amare,Iggy? Who knows but if that is what DM wants then that is what the Rockets need..

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Would love nothing more then to see the rockets beat out Mark Cuban in some sort of trade deadline deal.

11. iamnets5

iamnets5 Member

I am waitting for the trade.lol.Hope T-Mac can get his position

12. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

the mavs are the biggest players in this month until the deadline IMO. they have a great balance of desirable players, good tradeable contracts, expirings, a great situation with a superstar in place, and an owner willing to spend.

i think the mavs are the biggest obstacle to the rockets making a great deal, because they significantly reduce the rockets leverage as a buyer in a sellers market.

13. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Thanks a bunch for the recap man! :grin:

This part gives me hope. Bring in a superstar Morey!

14. jump shooter

Is that the same GM that traded away Devin Harris for Kidd?

15. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

its hard to argue that it was a bad deal, even though the knee-jerk reaction was strongly pro-nets. it ended up working out pretty decently for both sides.

16. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Is Morey seriously stating that teams like the Lakers, or Celtics wouldn't definatetly take on more money for the right player? Or how about a team like Atlanta for the right player. I don't need to be a gm to know that's not true.

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I do agree with you on this but I think J. Howard's value is overrated. I think any team that trades for him is looking at the expiring contract rather than the player. He's always hurt and is a hot head. The guy hasn't been healthy for nearly 3 years.

As for Damp, I think they'll try during the summer to trade him. There's no reason for them to make that trade now because Dallas needs a center.

They do have a GM that can close big deals though. We've seen it before...

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I've seen a lot of rumor reports that the Mavs are interested in taking Iggy or K. Mart. They do not want to take back Sammy D. though...

I hope we can beat them in a trade though...

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Lakers are already about $10,000,000 over the luxury tax. So, they've proven they'll pay the tax; but adding to that burden would be difficult (even for a team that rakes in the cash).

20. jump shooter

Dallas is still not in contention for a championship without a low post go to guy or any go to guy for that matter ie.(Nowitzki is a jump shooter). Kidd is on the downside of his career and Harris is on a real bad team. I still would not have made that trade.