1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey’s Secret Target – Eric Bledsoe (+ Millsap + PJ Tucker)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 8, 2014.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have not seen this discussed here on clutchfans. I believe that Morey will definitely explore this idea if Carmelo and Love are not available this summer.

Why Eric Bledsoe?

1) The Harden Effect: This has Harden part 2 written all over it. Bledsoe was underutilized until last year.

2) Elite Defender - Bledsoe is probably the best PG defender in the league, and is one of the top 5-7 defenders overall. In the 2 years before this one (injury riddled season), he had a Drtg of 102 and 101, where Chris Paul’s was 104 and 102. Rajan Rondo has a career 101 Drtg, which includes many seasons where his team was elite in defense. The Clippers were below average in 2011-12 and 12-13, so for Bledsoe to have 102 and 101 Drtg is pretty amazing.

3) 3 Point Shooting – In the past 2 seasons Bledsoe shot 39.7% and 35.7% from 3, so it looks like he has developed a 3 point shot. This is the greatest knock for him in the draft, but it looks like he has become an adequate shooter, which is important for our team.

4) Elite Athlete/Offensive Potential – Bledsoe does have adequate handles for a PG, and has shown the ability to attack the basket. He will never be like Lillard in terms of skill, but he can get in the lane and make shots. He will only get better as he gets more experience.

5) Age – Bledsoe has been in the league for 4 years, but is only 24 years old. Potential is endless.

6) Max Salary – His max will only start around $14 million per year, instead of “Super Max” deals of Carmelo and company.

7) Fit with Harden - Since Harden already demands the ball, Bledsoe is a much better fit than some other options such as Rondo or Lowry. I'm not saying that he's better at the moment, but Bledsoe can defend better than Lowry and shoot 3s better than Rondo. He may even become a better offensive option than Lowry.

Concerns?
    Injury Risk – He was injured this year and 2 years ago. Hopefully this is not a continuing trend, but he is just too talented of a player to pass up should he become available.

Why would the Suns consider this deal?
    Eric Bledsoe is a MAX player that may not get the max from Phoenix. The Suns need to pay Dragic the max next summer, and may not be too comfortable with tying up $30 million for a 2 PG backcourt. They would probably want a good up and coming SF instead.

Why Millsap and PJ Tucker?
    Millsap has been discussed at length here, so I won't bother with this part. PJ Tucker has also been discussed. He is an unrestricted FA, can defend/shoot 3s, so he fits the bill. EDIT - PJ Tucker is RESTRICTED. Sorry

Under the Radar Offseason Plan
    1) Sign and Trade Parsons (with option picked up) + Lin + 25th Pick + 2 second rounders/Papanikolaou for Eric Bledsoe (12-14 million per year).
    2) Trade Asik + Jones + 2 second rounders/rights to Papanikolaou for Millsap
    3) Sign PJ Tucker to a contract below MLE. Save the rest to sign our 2nd round picks to Parsons-like contracts.

Starters
    Bledsoe
    Harden
    Tucker
    Millsap
    Howard

Bench
    Beverley
    Daniels
    D-MO
    FA Center

#1 Medicine N Music, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

brah its time to wake up from this dream of yours

3. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I would LOVE to get Bledsoe, but I really doubt the Suns are going to give him up. I think they've said that they'll do whatever it takes to keep him.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Let's gut the team for Melo.

5. RedRedemption

Dolan said that. Presti tried that.
    It's always a possibility.

6. arjun

arjun Member

parsons, lin, 1st round pick, and 2 2nd round picks for bledsoe!? that's more than what we paid for harden.

i would do it..but only if the millsap trade was also in the works.

not realistic though.

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Dolan is Dolan. and the Suns aren't in the same situation salary-wise that the Thunder were. I really don't see it happening (but I would definitely not mind being proved wrong).

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I love Bledsoe, but you are a fool if you think the Suns will let him walk away. They've been trying to attract a solid guard since offering the max to Eric Gordon.

Also, they are PLENTY comfortable running their dual PG lineup.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We will get bare minimum players to surround Dwight and Harden.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The time to steal Bledsoe was the time the Suns got him from the Clips. He is an RFA now and that will cost.

Parsons isn't being traded. The Rockets can make moves to add significant talent without giving up Parsons. That's what they will do.

11. dragician

dragician Member

No one's going to trade for Lin and his salary.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not trying to be a dick, but there's at least 5 threads on the front page for your trade idea's to go into.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This. I saw the thread title and got excited... thought there was some inside info. :-/

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Bledsoe is not worth Lin + Parson and 25th pick. Maybe Parson + 25th pick, but Rockets would be crazy to get rid of Parson.

15. RedRedemption

Its funny because Parsons is worth more than Lin.
    Lin is actually the trade LIABILITY.

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

I wouldn't be opposed to this. With Bledsoe, Tucker, Millsap, Howard and Beverley coming off the bench, we would have the pieces in place to have a good defense. And Harden, Millsap and Howard would still be able to score.

However, I don't think the Suns will let go of Bledsoe. They will do everything they can to keep him. Also, I am a little bit afraid of Bledsoe becoming the next Eric Gordon- if you gave him a long term max deal and then he is injured too much and it becomes a terrible contract.

Also, I am pretty sure that the Rockets are really opposed to trading Parsons. This makes any of our random trade ideas pretty tough since he is our best trading asset.

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Those two deals seem like the same value to me :p

18. Dwight_Hard

Dwight_Hard Member

Kosta is coming over this offseason & he's Jesus

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He also isn't worth 12-14 M a year. 8-9 M max, if he is healthy.

20. rocketsmetalspd

The only teams that might want Lin would be Raptors, Knicks, and Warriors. I would hope that the Raptors would want him and the Rockets could trade for Lowry.