1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More moderators on the forums

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Tenchi, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Deleted

#41 Roc Paint, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Roc Paint

The most ironic thing is I am the Team Leader of a community service group.

Actually, I love anything that doesn't talk back.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The mod is asking you to use the report button, so why not do so? The rep system is kinda irrelevant. If someone breaches the TOS with their speech, rep isn't going to matter. Nor is neg repping going to fix hateful speech. The report button probably won't be satisfying because you'll never see what a mod does with the information, but you may as well use it anyway. I wonder if people don't because of an aversion to being a rat.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I nominate myself. I have a giant rep-penis on very few posts. That's some Harden-level efficiency there.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That used to be a thing for me, but not anymore. I don't think I've ever used it when someone was talking to me but when I see an exchange between some others and it gets way out of line with name-calling and/or personal insults (especially if it's in the GARM/Dish) then I will report that 100% of the time... unless it's the LOFs and LOFHs going back and forth at each other; I've learned to just let them do their thing, unless and until one of them starts blaming "the jews" for Lin's struggles (as happened recently). I'll report something like that.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Make Roc Paint a mod so he can actually delete all of his posts that say "delete".

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Rep system is totally irrelevant in this instance. We do use the negreps as a early warning system, negreps happen first to let them know we dont approve and if more action is needed than it happens(infractions, get too many of them too quickly and the board will autoban you). Sometimes the posts get deleted, sometimes they dont. It just depends on the situation.

We cant see everything, it just isnt possible. Thats why we request that bad posts get reported. Funnily enough, you would think we take alot of time going thru reported posts, but we dont because very few people will use the report feature.

This goes back to the users....if you want to clean up the board...

Do not respond to obvious trolls or other offtopic posts, stick with the topic at hand and report those who dont.

Save your offtopic lulz posts for the appropriate threads, far too many of you think that its fine to drag a thread offtopic with snarky posts or pictures/videos.

If a thread is obviously stupid, DO NOT RESPOND to it. Let it die a natural death or report it so we can handle it.

Three very basic things that every user here could do that would clean this board up a lot.

8. Roc Paint

Be careful what you wish for. I may delete you.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's not even that. How many "active" members does this board have nowadays? A few thousand people at least, I'm sure.

Asserting that the way to help this board is to hope for a couple of thousand people to all post in a respectful way that always contributes positively to this forum is naive. I do use the report button, but only when I notice a poster keeps repeatedly trolling over time.

Overall, it seems like a counter intuitive line of thinking to say that "we can't possibly see everything" but then claim "more mods are unnecessary." That's a contradiction no matter how you put it.

I'm not sure whether it's that people have an aversion to using the "report" button. But whatever the reason is, apparently people do not use it enough, and it has seemingly always been that way. Will that change? Probably not. Most likely, even the "old posters" who post "well" are not reading most threads to notice over time if everyone who should reported is report worthy.

Yes, I understand that it could be said that they should just report whenever anything suspect happens. But that entire discussion would not even be necessary if there was another mod or two so the scope of what they "see" would be broadened. It's not like this community is short on productive members who could perform that duty.

It's clear what R2K's opinion on this is. I respect that. I've never actually seen Clutch comment on this topic though. I wonder what his thoughts are.

#49 DudeWah, Jan 23, 2015
  10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I remember a time when R2K was so much more engaging with CF members. He was not always so impatient. Sad to see what the years of dealing with knuckleheads like us have done to this man who is literally the only reason I was able to watch Rox games for like 2 years in a row.

11. Roc Paint

Try managing top less bars for 20+ years, and see how irritable you will become when dealing with people. I know exactly how he feels babysitting adults everyday. Thank God I was able to turn that chapter of my life. Hang in there R2K, and thank you for all that you do around here.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This thread is kind of an illustration of the problem. I think we all have more or less become a little testy when confronted with disagreement here.

While R2K could have chosen a little friendlier tone to answer the OP, the reactions toward his post were also unnecessarily hostile.

That said, this board has always had heated debates on everything. It's fine as long as a certain amount of respect and civility is maintained.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the new mod has to be a 99er because they are the chosen ones
    [​IMG]

#53 tinman, Jan 23, 2015
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The OP is a Feb '99er, barely missing double digits, probably because he simply did not wake up quick enough to make it into the first 99.

He's not only a '99er, but damn close to being a first 99.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

After all these years there must be some long-time members who would do a good job as a mod -- I agree that CFs does in fact need a few more mods. No big changes of course -- a member like B-Bob (if he was interested) would make a great mod -- I personally think he could make the D & D a great forum for discussion.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Whoever can make the D&D a great forum for discussion should run for the presidency.

1 person likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Should we start an exploratory committee? Is it too late for 2016? Hillary's going to be a b**** to beat in the primaries this cycle.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What is Klay Thompson holding?

20. basketballholic

Thanks 2k for the input. Just a couple suggestions that I think would help.

1. When a post is reported and the mods neg-rep it, it would help the board if it could not be responded to. My suggestion is that you replace the post with the words 'Deleted by mod for violation of board rules' in red. This would send a stronger message to everyone to clean it up. Subsequently anybody that trolls the poster that got neg-repped should automatically get the same treatment.

2. Thread rating priveleges should be limited to mods only. Thread rating priveleges are not being used correctly in the forum as many posters automatically downgrade the thread because they don't like the thread starter instead of rating the worthiness of the thread topic. If this were done by the mods only it would be a clear signal to the members what is good and bad about starting threads and the threads themselves would improve. This would also separate posters into two piles. Those that wanna play around can go in the 1 star thread and play around. Those that want good basketball discussion can go to the 4-5 star threads.

I, personally would be fine with the mods shutting down more threads that aren't thread-worthy, including my own. But at the very least if the mods would control the thread ratings and remove that abused privilege from the posters it would help.