1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MOOCH Insurance?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLAGRANT1, Aug 22, 2001.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Although everyone seems to dread our center position entering this upcoming season, I believe at least 25 other teams in the league have the same deficiency.

It's also a known fact that we have enough forwards to link in a human chain across the entire city of Houston.

Aside from more intensity on D and increased tenacity on the boards we really need to give those high-energy guards of ours a blow during games to keep them sharp.

Now Mooch may or may not be a rocket for '02.:(
    Regardless I still believe another guard on the roster would be beneficial to the Rox.

Kelly impressed me more so than Colson in summer competition.
    Tito Maddux from Fresno State (2nd in nation in dimes) is now a free agent rook w/ no school to go back to. The mayor(Hoiberg) is a free agent......

My question is are there any guards out there (undrafted, free agent, playground, security) that y'all think could make the Rox better.

P/S don't mention Lanky as a backup 2 he is not a guard or an NBA player for that matter.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You don't consider Langhi an NBA player, but you want Hoiberg and Tito Maddux!? :confused:

3. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I second Kelly; I'd like to see him get an invite. Omar Snead as well.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Although Hoiberg played good last season, he was on a very bad team. I don't think he'd be a good fit here.

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You should change your name to FLAGRANT2, and follow it with an ejection. ;)

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Take it from a Horn fan, DK does not handle the rock well enough.

7. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I'm lost..... from where does this Laanky/love affair originate.
    I mean he was a great college player but so is 95% of the league.
    He as good an NBA player as Maloney."He's a summer league legend....."

I'm Impressed.....now back to the topic...please

:)

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am fairly confident that Maddux cannot be picked up into the NBA this year. If he could, then any player could quit school and become a free agent rather than go through the draft.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Yes, he is a 2 in a point guard's body. Now maybe if we could draft TJ when he comes out.....

10. RocksMillenium

And Tito Maddux, street ballers, and undrafted rookies have proven what!? :confused:

11. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

The point of this thread is that it is my opinion we need another guard backing up our stellar backcourt ensemble.

Langhi has not displayed to me the ability to do that. So he is as unproven to me as any camp invitee.

12. enbehay

enbehay Member

Although I believe the Rockets will re-sign Moochie, the Rockets still are cruising into the season with only three guards. A good backup shooting guard (Trenton Hassell from the Bulls) might be a good insurance policy. I still think a SF (Rockets) trade with the Bulls (backup center, backup shooting guard?) would be helpful. Walt seems the logical candidate to trade, although I would hate to see him go.

13. RocksMillenium

<b>Langhi has not displayed to me the ability to do that. So he is as unproven to me as any camp invitee.</b>

If he is unproven to you, how can you say he isn't an NBA player!? ;)

Besides, they will probably play Rice some time at the 2-guard spot, as will Walt if he isn't traded.

14. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I do like the idea of Rice @ the 2 for short streches.

15. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Matt Maloney is a free agent. He was an excellent pick up out of the CBA. He should play for cheap and is familiar with Rudy's coaching style.

He's also a Houston-area fan favorite.

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

... and we're still paying him as it is. ;)

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Rafer Alston is the man Rudy should have looked at. If the guy could get the playing time Moochie gets he could easily average 9pts a game.

18. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

If he's so good, why isn't he getting the playing time Moochie gets?

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Rafer Alston is the man Rudy should have looked at. If the guy could get the playing time Moochie gets he could easily average 9pts a game.

And he'd give up about 29 points to the other PG in that time too. ;)

20. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

As far as Moochie insurance goes, I think Kelly would be preferable to any of the other names mentioned. I know his ball-handling isn't good enough to play the point, but I figure that if we have to bring him in, he would play more of a two-guard, and the other guard out there would do the majority of the ball-handling.

Besides - his ballhandling does appear to have improved.