1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monta Ellis close to becoming a Mav

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, Jul 12, 2013.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'm so glad the Mavs finally suck!

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ellis/dirk/dalembert....

... Big3 ia...

...un...

...stop...

...able...

3. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

The worst jump-shot shooting % in the entire league off the dribble as a guard.

But he wanted a 4 year 45+ million or more contract.

He walked from a 3 year 36million because he wanted and demanded more money.

You may not understand it because your not looking at the actual numbers, and how those numbers actually are played out in-game but he's just a girl with big t*** in the scheme of things.

JR Smith as well.

They both would fall along the same category and tier which explains why they both got similar priced contracts to a certain extent.

4. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Monta Ellis must be mad as hell. He lost 10 million dollars before even starting training camp by walking away from the Bucks when he thought he could easily beat 3years for 36m...

If anything he's probably grateful that at least he got 3 for 25 (possibly up to 30).

Brutal but its the nature of - ball don't lie and neither does the hundreds of hours of analysis and study that go into why teams make their decisions.

5. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Among them:
    Wins and championship - check
    Competing every night - check
    Both ends - check
    Inside/outside - check
    Fastbreak - check
    Transition - check

The Mavs have it all!

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You know you made an awful signing when fans from other teams are THRILLED to see you make it.

Jose Calderon...

Devin Harris...

Monta Ellis...

SAM DALEMBERT!

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

This signing reeks of desperation....just doesnt make sense. Despite my dislike for the Mavs, Cuban has always seemed to me more sensible than this. Ellis is on the decline, and not appreciably better than VC, and very similar in his ongoing knee problems. Would have been nice to see the Mavs give time to younger players or trade some of their current talent for future assets like draft picks.

Also doesnt seem like a great fit for Ellis. My sense was he'd have been a great fit for OKC in replacing martin (though maybe they feel Lamb is ready to step in now) or for Memphis as a more-effective SG option than Tony Allen, which I think would have been an ideal fit on a contending ball club with great big men. Whatever, I guess its better for us that neither of those moves happened....

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

I'm so glad Morey always believed in his concept and was never fazed by all the FAs he couldn't land. Cuban becoming desperate and finds out that Dallas is not that attractive now that the team sucks. At least Houston is a respectable city ;) Now they've waisted 10 million a year on a chucker, great job.

9. AFS

AFS Member

I think he'd be a terrible fit in OKC. They really need people there who can shoot 3s to spread the floor. Monta can shoot 3s, but has issues actually making them.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think OKC actually needed shooters, I mean Martin is one of the best at that.

They needed a guy who could come in and lead the bench unit. Another offensive threat. Basically another Harden but cheaper. No Monta is no Harden obviously, but he can play that 6th man role great.

Too bad he'll likely be the starter in Dallas. I think had he gone to a contender and play that 6th man role he'd basically be Crawford.

Crawford like Monta(and Smith) was criticized for being chuckers. The thing both of those guys have in common is when you move them to the bench they all of a sudden become 6th man of the year candidates. I think that would have been perfect for Monta but teams keep starting the guy.

Monta as a guy coming in, being aggressive, leading a bench unit I could see that helping out any contender.

11. jocar

jocar Member

This is the correct line of thinking. You want them to be scrapping for that 8th seed and personally strip them of it, (preferably at American Airlines Center, with Cuban sitting front row)

1 person likes this.
  12. texansalltheway

Morey's next target is LeBron James, and Morey will somehow find himself as a frontrunner next year for the King

13. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

i'm not in the majority here, but I think that team with a HEALTHY dirk could potentially spark a little something in the playoffs. on paper, it's a pretty good roster tbh.

14. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

that would be awesome. lol. wish we could've done that to the lakers last season :mad:

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

As much as I want to laugh at Dallas for this signing, I must say I like this the most among their signings. Ellis comes relatively cheap, only 3 years which is short, for a player in his prime, and has quite a high upside(likelihood of reaching that upside is certainly up for debate). This as opposed to Calderon which was a longer contract, for a player that's much older, and has absolutely no upside and plenty of downside.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dallas can actually get decent FA players. More than 2/3 of the league. Teams arent avoiding Dallas. Its that they cant get the true difference makers.

Because like most other teams, that if theyre not a top 5 sure thing contender, the players will go where the money is. And even if they are a contender, players like Deron Williams might still go to the money.

Not that I feel bad for Dallas they still have a recent title. But when you get spurned by iguodala who rightfully went to a more winning situation when golden state **** blocked them last minute, not much options left but the monta types.

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Mavs must feel really lucky to have won that title two years ago. I read that some mavs fans say it will hold them over until 2025, so Cuban will be alright. They lucked into Chandler that year.

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

the dirk of 3 years ago. not now. he is shying away from contact. he's started his decline. best years are past him

19. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

I'm not sure I understand Cuban's thinking on this either. Signing a chucker like Ellis even to a 3 year deal, what does it accomplish? You should be getting ready to blow up your team not try to prolong it. Then again we saw this with the Rockets for years before Les did the right thing.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

his problem is DIRK. dirk is a hindrance and can be the savior. his biggest bargaining chip is also the biggest asset for the team. they really should trade him and go in full rebuild mode next year.