1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moises Alou?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Should we bring him back as an Astro since he was declined the option to return back to the Cubs? Or was he declined the option?

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Alou is one of my favorites. He still has some game left. Bags loves him. But I dont want him if he prevents signing Beltran.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

As long as he agrees to play for around $3 million or so. And oh yeah, there must be a contract provision that allows for repeated pimp slaps from fans whenever he starts acting like a whiny b****. Which will probably be the first day of spring training when he'll go off on Bill Worrell or Jim DeShaies.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Yea, his option is getting declined:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-cubsalousoptiontobed&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Moises Alou isn't likely to be back in Chicago next year. The Chicago Tribune reports the Cubs will decline the outfielder's $11-million option for 2005. Alou will become eligible for free agency and could return to the Cubs at a lower price.

Views

The Cubs will probably seek a younger, faster, cheaper, better defensive option than Alou, but there will definitely be teams lined up to sign a player coming off a 39-homer season.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Alou would put up very good numbers in MMP (as he did in 00, and 01)... but you'd question his health. (he finally made it thru an entire season last year... but you're looking at the odds of doing it two years in a row as slim to none).

He only started becoming whiny when he went to Chicago and Dusty promoted that sort of thing. In fact, he was very quiet and soft-spoken here... fit in well in the clubhouse, and was truly considered one of the "good guys."

I doubt he'd sign for $3 million, when some AL teams would probably pay him $7-9 for a two year deal. The Yankees will probably show some interest in him... he'd be a bad-ass DH.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Just don't shake his hand after he signs the contract. And let him keep the pen.

Seriously, we don't need a left fielder, especially a 39 year old one. We'll be set in the OF if we sign Beltran, and if not we'll need a CF to fill in. And the team needs to get younger, not older.

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

You read my mind Nick. I wouldn't mind having him back at a reasonable price as long as it didn't cost us Beltran. Then of course when your wanting to sign a free agent you always have to think of NY, then that brought to my mind of them having Sierra as their DH. Well he's not that bad, but Alou would be a major upgrade. I can't see him back here for some strange reason.

Pugs

8. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I wouldn't bring him back. Making Bagwell happy should no longer be the Astros top concern.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't think Alou would fit well with the chemsitry of this club anymore..plus we don't need to be spending a lot on a veteran player like that... really... the first player we need to address is Beltran... cause the direction the Astros go almost entirely depends on him and the money he's gonna get.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, the dude got so whinny last season. It was strange to see him like that. He is getting old, and I don't forsee another injury free season left in him.

My main concern is stuck on Beltran and will be for quite a while.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't need him. Don't want him.

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

No...no no no no no.

No.

13. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I guess if we do sign him, his team mates would think twice before high fiving him.

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I couldnt have said it better myself.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No need. None. We have Lane in LF and Berkman in RF for next year. And that's only counting if we don't play biggio at 2B, which I think they will.

16. MONON

MONON Member

Beltran is the 1st priority. After that, Alou at 3m is good. If Kent doesn't sign, then Alou goes to the of & Biggio goes back to 2nd. Alou would take Kent's spot in the batting order. If Kent is resigned, we could have a revolving line up between the of, 2nd & 1st that would give some rest to Kent, Alou, Biggio & Bagwell. However Alou at anything over 5m is a NOOOOOOOOOO!

17. lalala902102001

The guy is still a heck of a hitter. I wouldn't mind bringing him back if he comes cheap.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

NO !!!

Old and slow and has an arm equal to Biggios.

NO !!

DD

19. fya

fya Member

No way.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't get it. Would you please explain it like I was a four year old?