1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

There was nothing wrong with anything on that play, from the HBP to the hard slide, to the low throw (everyone is taught to do that, btw). Odor made it a scene afterwards because he's a ********er. So is Bannister, one of the biggest pricks of all managers in MLB. The amount of assholery in the Rangers dugout almost makes moving to the AL worth it, just for the hate.

2. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

The Pirates are the only team not be shutout so far this season. Pretty impressive...

3. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Chris Sale going for his 9th win tonight, Mariners playing really well, Phillies surprising a lot of people, Strasburg vs Harvey tonight in NYC.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My Buccos have flipped the script this year. Usually, their pitching is among the best in all of the Majors while their batting is sub-par to average. This year they're top 5 in nearly every major offensive category while their pitching has taken a step or two back.

Hoping their collective ERA and pitching dominance can return to form soon. We're going to need all the help we can get playing in the same division as the Cubs.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Polanco is finally playing like they hoped he would.

6. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

•Arlington City Council will be asked to approve city/Rangers agreement on May 24 for estimated $1 billion retractable roof stadium
    •Rangers will play there no later than 2021
    •Nov. 8 election, if approved by City Council, would be needed for public funding
    •Agreement would run through Jan. 1, 2054
    •The future of the Ballpark in Arlington is uncertain....parking/office/ part of Texas Live
    •50-50 split between Rangers and City on $1 billion project
    •Arlington will own the ballpark.... Rangers will be responsible for designing and building it

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Shelf life on stadiums now less than 20 years?

Wrigley and Fenway are rolling over in their graves...

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah I've never understood that. Also I think baseball parks are probably the easiest to renovate. You can add little things, and there's probably no good reason to add more seats. Amenities can be had though.

A place like Chase Field which is way too big can add some more restaurants, bathrooms, bars, etc. and take away a good chunk of their seats. The top level at Chase field needs to be cut in half.

I think I kind of get the whole retractable roof thing because of such hot weather in Texas. Personally though, I like baseball open instead of closed. The Braves park seems nice, but I think they could've renovated it and made it better too. I'm guessing one of the main reasons for the new park was also moving it to Cobb County to get more fans to come to the game.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Arlington is like a pretend city...a fake front for funding ballparks and stadiums with public money.

Sure hope they aren't talking about a replacement for MMP in 5 years. That would suck.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I understand why they would need a roof...but I don't know if they even explored the option of adding a roof onto their current stadium,and whether or not that would be more cost effective.

Agree that they're not going to be able to do much better than MMP... Unless they want to move out to the suburbs like the Braves are or like the Rangers have always been... And build a total amusement park-like grounds just for the baseball team.

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

I seriously doubt it. Crane know the east end of Downtown is a development hot spot right now. Crane has MMP, two restaurants, and owns another parcel of land on Texas Ave, all in the middle of this. And now multiple apartment building will open in the blocks west of MMP by 2017. It's the perfect storm and they can't get a better location at a better time then Union Station right now.

If anything, Crane will likely see a major renovation by the end of the lease in 2030 (if he's still owner then).

13. tigereye

tigereye Member

Globe Life's foundation wasn't built to support the added weight of a roof. Also, extensive remodeling would be needed to enclose the place for AC. They're better off building a new park to correct the original mistake of not building Globe Life with a roof in the first place. But given soaring construction costs, they'll pay for the mistake.

Also, given the latest retractable roof designs for Marlins Park and now Rangers Park, it's clear Minute Maid Park and Safeco Field benefited by building 15 years earlier as both parks don't have high roof rails blocking views. Rangers Park roof rail will be in full view high above like Marlins Park.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I noticed that... is that something that changed due to building codes, or is it just simply too expensive now to build retractable roof stadiums without high roof rails?

MMP's roof was definitely built right.... ahead of its time with the glass wall element, and no obstructive views. Just wish it wasn't so damn hot all summer so that they could open it up more.... but come playoff time, definitely appreciate the increased loudness factor.

Also, notice how Arlington is blatantly ripping off the "arc" of their roof to mimic MMP? Was designed that way to emulate the trajectory of a HR... Arlington/Rangers probably didn't get that.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stanton is 0 for his last 17... with 15 Ks :eek:

GoGo is somewhere saying, "daaamn".

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This just reminds me how much I love MMP. What a great place to watch a game. If only our team could match it.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep, agreed.

On second glance of those renderings, anybody else notice how their dimensions also seem to be a blatant rip-off of MMP? I see some LF stands that would be the basic equivalent of the Crawford boxes. I see the visiting bullpen in LCF (albeit exposed to the elements, unlike ours). I see the home bullpen in RCF.

I don't quite see a Tal's hill yet... but I'm sure that could be worked into the final rendering.

Arlington's new stadium is much like the Force Awakens....

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Oakland & Tampa Bay badly need new stadiums, Oakland according to everyone in MLB has the worst stadium hands down. Oakland has a rich baseball history, they keep coming up with ideas for a new stadium in Fremont or San Jose with no real success.

19. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Interesting numbers as of this Monday:

Top 5 Batting Avg wise in the AL belong to either Red Sox or Tigers players.
    Robinson Cano is in a MVP race with his numbers and his team doing well.
    NL East is the most interesting divisional race besides the Braves.