1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ's Rebuilding Plan - Sign Steve Francis????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dream34, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Part of an article from David Aldridge on ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldridge/1104459.html

2. Michael Jordan. I heard a lot last year about how Jordan was in over his head as an executive, how he didn't know the cap, how nobody would trade with him. I've heard a lot this year about how Jordan should spend more time in Washington, how he's an absentee landlord, how much the fans in D.C. need to be able to touch the hem of his garment and gaze upon him in his box, like he's Patton reviewing the troops.

Howard

Here's what the absentee landlord has done since last summer. He exiled the useless Lorenzo Williams and the $5.4 million left on his contract. He moved Ike Austin and the $7.8 million left on his contract. He moved Tracy Murray and the $10.1 million left on his contract. And he moved Juwan Howard and the $38 million left on his contract. He will fire Rod Strickland and relieve the team of its $10 million burden whenever his owner allows him to. By my count, that will be $61.3 million sliced off a bloated payroll in six months. No head hunter on Wall Street has done it faster.

Are the remaining Wizards any good? God, no. But they now have three young, first-round picks who might get better (Richard Hamilton, Courtney Alexander, Etan Thomas). They will most certainly have a top-five lottery pick in the draft (Jason Williams? Eddie Griffin?). And once Mitch Richmond is excised next year, they'll have honest to goodness salary cap room to go after free agents.

Maybe he did it from an office at MCI Center. Maybe he did it from his house in suburban Chicago. Does it matter?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After reading the article it makes me worry even more. I just have this gut feeling that signing Steve Francis is part of MJ's masterplan. Just like we all are thinking of the possability of signing a Chris Webber when Dream's contract ends.

The first thing that went through my mind when I heard that Jordan unloaded J.Howards contract on the Mav's was the possability of losing Francis to the Wiz.

I think Francis is under contract for another year. I am assuming he becomes a free agent after that? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

According to the above article. The Wiz will have plenty of money and some good young talent. Washington is Steve's hometown and I think he grew up idolizing Jordan. I am worried that 2 years from now, if Jordan is given a chance to give Francis a sales pitch we may have something to worry about.

Of course Steve has grown to love Houston and this is his team. He has his side kick in Mobley. Hopefully the Rockets can sign a top notch free agent this summer. All of the above should be enough for the Rockets management to resign Stevie Franchise.

The bottom line is that I will not rest at ease until Francis is resigned to a long-term contract with the Rockets.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

Counting down the days till January 27, 2002 (Superbowl 36 in New Orleans).

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

dont worry..steve wants to be here..he is a rocket for life imho, esp once we get cwebb this offseason :)

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Don't worry we have Francis for at least another 3 years. I believe he will be a restricted free agent after the next season. Even if he was a true free agent I don't think he will ever leave his boyfriend Mobley.

------------------

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

WHy would he want to go to Washington? Trust me just because Jordan is part owner of the Wizards doesn't mean players will flock there. Iverson has a connection to the Washington area, but he isn't going there. Webber has a connection to the Michigan area, yet he isn't going to Detroit. The Rockets are further ahead then Washington, have more capspace, and should be a playoff team by the time Washington clears enough cap to even start their rebuilding program, why go there?

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Even if he was a true free agent I don't think he will ever leave his boyfriend Mobley.

That's a ridiculous way of putting it, but I'm pretty sure Mobley's play and friendship with Francis will play a part in this team winning, thus keeping both guys here.

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

6. Toast

Toast Member

Who are some free agents Houston has lost over the years? It seems to me whenever we're in the free agent news, it's cause we're in the hunt to pick one up, not on the brinks of losing anyone. Players all over the league are interested in being a Rocket. We have a championship tradition, a respected front office, a mild climate, and supportive fans. Not to mention we're building a new arena. I think we're good to go.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

7. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Couldn't have said better myself : TOAST

------------------
    Life is but a dream

8. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

it seems to me that Jordan has his eyes on a fellow UNC alum, #15 from the Toronto Raptors. Air Canada is a free agent in 2002. I think his chances of staying up north are roughly the same as C-Webb's of staying in Sac-town (read "little").

We shall see..

------------------

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well we lost Moses Malone when he was a free agent.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Malone was traded to Philly. I'll try to find out who he was traded for.

Found it:
    Moses Malone, who had become the dominant man in the pivot at Houston, came to the Sixers through a trade that was prompted by his free agency. After Malone signed a lucrative offer sheet with Philadelphia, Houston matched the offer and then traded Malone to the Sixers for Caldwell Jones and a 1983 first-round draft choice.

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited February 23, 2001).]

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And who was the mistake we drafted with that pic?

------------------

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

"Mistake"? Wasn't that the pick that turned out to be Rodney McCray, who was a solid player for years and who was part of the package that got us Otis Thrope ...

(Is that right? Wasn't it Petersen and McCray for Thrope?)

------------------

[This message has been edited by wrath_of_khan (edited February 23, 2001).]

13. Behad

I think it was Thorpe, not Thrope, but you are correct.

------------------
    Behad

14. Gypsy

Gypsy Member

Ah, Rodney McCray. Didn't we pass up hometown hero Clyde Drexler to get him?

That pick was a mistake.

------------------

15. Behad

No it wasn't. McCray was a far more polished player than Clyde at that time. Clyde was all flash and dunk, while McCray was a complete player. it was the right pick. Drexler came close to not making that Portland team his first year. But he worked hard on his outside shot, and the rest is history. You can't fault Bill Fitch for not being able to see the future.

------------------
    Behad

16. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

You don't honestly believe that that wasn't a typo, do you?

Anyway, I agree with you about Rodney. He was a major cog in one of the best college teams of the 80s -- a logical pick at the time. Then he gave us a few solid if unspectacular years. We don't go to the Finals in '86 without McCray. We might not get Thorpe without McCray, and we sure as hell don't win the first championship without Thorpe.

So, was the Moses trade really that bad?

------------------

[This message has been edited by wrath_of_khan (edited February 23, 2001).]

17. Behad

Sorry, forgot the smilie [​IMG] [​IMG]

(But you did make the same typo twice.) [​IMG]

------------------
    Behad

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My friends and I were gathered for the draft and thought we had Clyde locked up.When they said Rodney's name,I nearly fainted and we all started screaming.Drexler should have been automatic.Clyde had so much game and Guy didn't focus on fundamentals with this team as much.With PSJ,he rolled the ball out and let them run the court,well,until that last game..damn.Guy was a helluva coach though,should be in the Hall of Fame.Anyway,Petrie did a great job with him,but Clyde's defense and ability to get to the hole were things that came naturally.I thought at the time..How in the Hell can they pass over Clyde for a guy,who while being fundamentally sound, clearly has less upside.Clyde had already proved it on the big stage too in the tourneys.Even though we parlayed Rod and Peterson into Thorpe,it didn't make up for that mistake.
    As far as Stevie goes, I would think he'll stay.He wants titles,loves Rudy,and is with a first class organization.Guys want to play here.Stevie will get a title here loooong before he would in Washington.

------------------
    the fan formerly known as.... Hardwood Hammer

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited February 23, 2001).]

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If Jordan is gonna wait 3 years before he starts his master plan he is out of his mind. I would fire him today if he was planning that far ahead. I don't think the Rockets are going to let Steve test out the FA waters, and hopefully he won't want to.

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

20. Colby

Colby Member

The wiz won't have cap room till 2002 summer.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley