1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitch McConnell says he's offended by criticism and calls his remarks on African-American voters an

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Jan 21, 2022.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ion/ar-AAT17Yz?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531#comments
    • Mitch McConnell said "it's nonsense" to call him out over his remarks about African-American voters.
    • McConnell's office previously said he misspoke when he apparently suggested that African-Americans and Americans may be in separate categories.
    • "I'm also an American!" one top Democrat wrote on Twitter.
    Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell snapped at Democrats and his critics on Friday amid social media backlash over a comment earlier this week on African-African American voters, which came in response to a question about whether people of color should worry about not being able to vote in November.

"I've never been accused of this kind of thing before. It's hurtful, it's offensive and it's total nonsense," McConnell told reporters in Kentucky, per CNN's Manu Raju.

McConnell was asked on Wednesday what he would tell voters of color who may be fearful about their right to vote if the Democratic Party fails to pass its major voting rights legislation.

McConnell said in response. "A recent survey, 94% of Americans thought it was easy to vote. This is not a problem. Turn out is up."

Democrats seized on McConnell's apparent slip-up that African-Americans might be in a different category than Americans. His office previously told CNN that McConnell meant to say "other Americans" and not just "Americans."

"Hey @LeaderMcConnell… for your information, I'm also an American!" Democratic National Committee chairman Jaime Harrison wrote on Twitter.

Other prominent Black Democrats, including former Kentucky state lawmaker Charles Booker, expressed their outrage as well.

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

'inadvertent omission'

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Basically....

My bad... I forgot where I was at and who I was speaking too...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s acting like Biden !

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"Well, the concern is misplaced, because if you look at the statistics, African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans. [In] a recent survey, 94 percent of Americans thought it was easy to vote. This is not a problem," he said. "Turnout is up. Biggest turnout since 1900. It's simply— they're being sold a bill of goods to support a Democratic effort to federalize elections. … This goes back 20 years, the excuses change from time to time."

He didn't mean African American voters are not Americans. He meant Americans as in White Americans. It's a slip of the tongue and reflects the Republican brand correctly - prioritizing White Americans above other Americans.

MM said the concern is misplaced because turnout is up, the biggest turnout since 1900. He lied by omission. It also happens that Republicans lost and so a bunch of new Republican election laws passed to make it more difficult to vote. The biggest turnout since 1900s must not repeat.

ROCKSS and RayRay10 like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Funny because nobody is making a better case for federalizing elections more than Mitch McConnell and his cronies at the state level. Typical Republican playbook.

-Create a problem
    -Democrat has to try and solve it
    -blame Democrat for the problem
    -undermine their effort to fix it
    -shout loudly that the Democrat created the problem and hope people are dumb

ROCKSS, No Worries, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If African-Americans are voting at the same percentage as Americans (a group that includes but is not limited to African-Americans) there is no problem with African-Americans access to the vote. Seems like a perfectly cogent statement. Would have been clearer if he said "all Americans" or "Americans generally" but it means the same thing. Much ado about nothing. Californians pay federal income taxes at the same rate as Americans.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It maybe means the same thing if parsing the sentence like a robot. That’s not how humans speak English. Willing to believe he innocently misspoke, though I understand why some may consider it a Freudian slip.

Also, African Americans have voted nearly at the same rates as Americans as a whole in recent elections due to tremendous efforts to make it easier for them to vote in the face of Republican efforts to make it harder for them to vote. And Republicans have been and are trying to pass laws that will widen the voting gap. So the Senator’s statement seems disingenuous, at a minimum.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Complete bullshit. Just because they have the same percent vote does not mean they have the same access. Republicans are constantly removing polling places from urban communities. We have all seen the long lines there that don't exist in the suburbs.

https://civilrights.org/democracy-diverted/#
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...es-in-recent-years-rights-group-idUSKCN1VV09J
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

mdrowe00, joshuaao, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

And this is what frustrates me about the media today…McConnell mentions a poll that says that 94% of people think it’s easy to vote. Ok, cool, what poll is that? Who is overseeing it? What were the exact questions?

instead, just an article taking his word at face value with no pushback or investigation into why he says this. The Republicans do this all the time. The Democrats do it quite often. Everyone in the national media landscape, politics or not, can do this as our journalists are too busy trying to get things up quickly for clicks instead of doing just the basics to check on this

mdrowe00, Agent94, T_Man and 4 others like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I do not believe Mitch was offended

I do not believe anyone was offended by what he said ... especially not anyone saying they were offended

Blatz likes this.