1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Maid Park: Surf for p*rn and stock quotes while watching the game

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Jul 2, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

AWESOME!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2658791

Connected at the old ballgame
    Astros to offer WiFi service starting today
    By DAVID KAPLAN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The next time an Astros fan attends a "businessman's special" day game, it should be easier for him to fool his boss into believing he's still at work. That's because, starting today, spectators at Minute Maid Park can go online with their laptops.

The availability of the high-speed wireless Internet access — known as "wireless fidelity," or WiFi — is the result of a partnership between the Houston Astros and Time Warner Cable-Houston.

For $3.95, the user receives four hours of online access, provided the computer hardware is WiFi compatible. The user pays for the Road Runner service online with a credit card.

WiFi lets fans get online from their seats without a plug-in.

Time Warner spokeswoman Carrie Milbank said the Astros and Time Warner will share the revenue generated from WiFi service, but did not give a breakdown of the arrangement.

The Astros may do more with WiFi, said Andrew Huang, Astros vice president of marketing.

One possibility is offering users an online electronic scorecard.

Another is to enable fans to order concessions online if it's feasible, Huang said, as well as provide instant replay, if Major League Baseball allows it.

The Astros are not the first Major League Baseball team to offer WiFi, but they are among the pioneers.

San Francisco's SBC Park, home of the Giants, has been offering WiFi service free of charge, at least for this season.

david.kaplan@chron.com

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"p*rn quotes. i love you george costanza."

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

please ....i don't think i can take any more gentle sobbing

4. drapg

drapg Member

This is spectacular. I was just reading about how the Giants have this at Candlestick (or whatever the new park is called now), and I was so freakin' envious!

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I would definately take my laptop to the game!! BAD @SS!!

Get this in the Toyota Center and I will do chat pbp live from the freakin' games!!!!

6. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

now i can participate in game treads and be at the game at the same time.

/I need to get a life i know.

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Personally, i think it's BS they charge your 4 dollars.:mad:

I'll just use my Nokia 6600 and surf the web using google or check my yahoo email for free. That is, if i go to a game not to watch baseball.:confused:

8. drapg

drapg Member

Well, you're paying for the service through your phone as well.

It's the same thing. Why should it be free? If it was, they'd just raise ticket prices, screwing the people who don't care about this new innovation.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's right...I'm for p*rn and stock quotes while watching the game. :p :rolleyes: :D

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Actually, i only pay 5 dollars a month for unlmited internet access. It doesn't use my minutes either. Almost the same price i'd pay at 1 game.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I agree...granted I don't think I'd ever bring a laptop to a ball game, but if you can sit in an airport lounge or a hotel (where they charge you for everything imaginable) and use free wireless, then there is no reason why you should have to pay for this at a ballgame.