1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Vick Indicted

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

How so? They're keeping him away from dogs.

2. Zion

Zion Member

It usually does not happen but if you think that prosecutors and judges never try to make examples of celebrities. Then you are either dumb or naive.

3. Zion

Zion Member

Yeah which is great for the dogs :D

but putting a first time non violent offender with murders, drug dealers, rapists etc for 2 years and then releasing him into society...

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I, too, think it's a bit harsh...especially when a young woman stabs a guy to death and gets 5 years probation. What Vick did was wrong...no question. But, put in proportion to sentences for other violent crimes, it seems a bit harsh.

I expect he will only serve half of that and be discounted for good behavior. I think he would have been better off stuck with 500 - 1,000 hours of doggie community service myself and given house confinement probation only allowed to leave for community service.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

all his co-defendants got the same sentence, plus the judge has a very tough reputation. the prosecutor has nothing to do with the sentencing.

i don't know why you threw in the dumb and naieve remark, that was uncalled for.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Yeah, most lawyers don't know much about law. Geez Max, why do you have to be so dumb and naive, especially about something that you have extensive knowledge about.

7. tulexan

tulexan Member

Skilling got 24 years for a first time non-violent offender.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

in fact the prosecutors recommended a MUCH LOWER sentence for his cohorts than what the Judge gave them.

the only funny thing I see from this is that despite the fact that they ratted out the guy who was their meal ticket, they got pretty much the same sentence they would have gotten had they just pleaded guilty and kept their mouths shut LOL

9. Zion

Zion Member

If so those were also harsh if they were first time non-violent offenders.

10. Zion

Zion Member

I don't care if he is Judge Judy to say that they don't occasionally try to make example of celebrities is ludicrous

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Name a few

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

under the sentencing guidelines he could have given him 5 years. he gave him less than 2.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Wasn't there also that whole "running an interstate organized crime ring" stuff, or were those charges dropped in the plea bargain? Even if those charges were dropped, you have to think that they were in the judge's mind when he sentenced Vick...

14. MadMax

yeah, it turns out when you run an interstate crime ring, you might have to serve some time in prison.

don't mess with the feds. if you're gonna go out there and commit crimes, make sure you don't conduct them over state lines or use the postal service or other carriers (like FedEx) in any way.

15. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Martha Steward, Muhammad Ali

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I hear this all the time and totally understand where it's coming from. But I feel that instead of feeling outrage that Vick is getting too much punishment relative to other crimes, the outrage should be that more serious crimes get similar punishment to Vick's when they should be more. (Hope that made sense.)

17. updawg

updawg Member

does he still face state charges?

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Where's that thread/poll that asked how much time we thought he should get as punishment?!?!? I know I voted 2 years... (I was off) :D

19. MadMax

i believe so, yes.

20. MadMax

i would also point out that what people are complaining of are usually state court decisions...not federal courts.