1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Scotto: Rockets might use 4th pick as trade bait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 18, 2023.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

This makes me wonder if Tilman would force Stone to trade the pick for a win now vet (ex. Dame Beal Siakum OG etc.)

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Siakim would fit in the cap space. He would be better than Jarace, Whitmore, Hendricks. Amen is too far away from performing at a high level. 4 and 20 for Siakim is fine with me. We don't need Beal. Dame doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team. Toronto should cough up the 13th pick as well. JSH can be a good PG at 13.
    @BaselineFade @ApacheWarrior @Deckard

#2 saleem, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    BigMaloe, ipaman, zeeshan2 and 3 others like this.
  3. a time to chill

This is the look of a desperate GM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A look of a GM who has tired gigantic eyes and swollen eye bags.

saleem, a time to chill and amaru like this.
  5. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Call the clippers

6. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

So Hardens gonna lead this team deep into the playoffs when he couldn't do it with the MVP of the league?

I guess if he has the "freedom to be himself" well then... :rolleyes:

Stone is beyond desperate if he goes this route.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No, hell no, don't bring back James Harden.

8. Landry's Tooth

You have to crawl before you walk...

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Siakam is a good player, but he's likely already peaked and about to start declining within a year or two--he's already 29--and he's nowhere near good enough to be the best player on a championship team.

If we must trade for a guy like that, why not work a three-team deal and send him to Portland to move up to #3 and get Scoot Henderson (if Charlotte picks Miller)?

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

An issue I have with Siakim is the same I have with Jaylen
    Brown. Siakim is due $37.9M and possibly just a one year rental.

Boston or Raptors would want two of Jalen Green, Sengun, Jabari...
    I've been told by Sengun fans all year that nobody wants KPj.
    Tooooo TOXIC. Can't be both too toxic and has great value.

What if we give up Bari and Green and then Siakim walks?
    Kyrie is leaving the Mavs which just traded for him.
    Kawhi walked one year after the Raptors obtained him.

I've suggested a harmless alternative of peddling our scrapes
    of Tate/TyTy/Garuba/JC x Patrick Williams/Caruso.

If Patrick Williams becomes a one year rental.....we are just
    out Tate/JC/Garuba/TyTy. Not Green and/or jabari/Sengun.

My guess is that Ime Udoka- would transform P Williams
    into a star and he re-up's with Houston

#10 ApacheWarrior, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I will be happy with Patrick Williams and Alex Caruso. They will cost us a quite a bit. Jarace Walker seems to be around the same class of player than P. Williams. I don't think he is worth a 4th pick selection. I'm not in favor of 4 and 20 for 6 and 11. Suggs plus the 6th for the 4th is okay with me.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, picking Jarace Walker at #4 is my preference.....id push a future
    First to Chicago.

I have Udoka- coaching up Jarace and making him a star.
    Patrick Williams keeping the seat warm for Jarace just in case
    PW walks next summer. If they both stay, even better.
    Those two would kick @## and chew bubble gum for years.

groovemachine likes this.
  13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Straight to the tank to hurl.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bringing back Harden to try and win now is stupid. Bringing back Harden to be a mentor, help the young talent get easier shots, and start to win more games.... sure.

Bringing Harden in to give away a top 5 talent for another overpaid non-superstar veteran so you can maybe make the play-in???... desperation and stupidity. Harden will help you win a decent amount of regular season games, but he is in no way an answer to winning a championship.

This is the problem with having a younger rookie GM with his back against the wall. They are prone to make desperate trades to save their jobs. Let's hope Stone really isn't that desperate, and he's just playing media games again.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great, this is a smart business decision, we don't need more 20 year old players, we need vets to add and to push our young core.

DD

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

they should be canvassing the league to see what value this pick has

falling to 4th on lotto night was a disaster…the only team that got screwed worse is the Pistons, they’re already looking to trade the pick

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

OKC owns our draft for the next three years. It's not "desperation." We have to start winning because we simply no longer have the option to lose.

Dobbizzle, Patience, AXG and 4 others like this.
  18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Siakim is interesting. I don't mind his age because we need a couple of quality vets. But if I'm giving up 4 and 20 for another forward he has to better than 32% from 3. I Iike his defense and length, but I think we can do a little better. I like the idea that Orem suggested of packaging the pick in a 3 way deal with Portland. Portland is desperate to win now. I would try to get in on any reasonable deal that would net us a top 3 pick.

Personally if I'm giving up multiple assets, I want a solid veteran PG first, then a wing, then rim protection. There aren't enough options in this year's free agent class so the trade market will likely be the way to go if we want a truly impactful player. I've always liked Brogdan. Solid on both ends and only making about 22/23m on a 2 year deal. OG upgrades our 3 point shooting. I think IME can take OG to the next level. Neither are all stars atm but they fill needs and would still allow our young players to grow. I like Dinwiddie and Lopez too as a trade targets. Then kick the can down the road for a couple of years. No need to get desperate and start making bad deals. Give me solid vets on short term deals for now.

No easy decisions this year. Our front office has their work cut out for them.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is the beginning of cashing in early on the already rocky rebuild with a max player at the end of his prime. Another rebuild is coming in 3 years. Welcome to the new Orlando Magic, Indiana Pacers or Atlanta Hawks level franchise.

....maybe. This is a critical offseason for Tilly and Raffy.

LosRockets2011 and burlesk like this.
  20. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Under no circumstances should they trade this pick unless it is to receive a young star or potential star in return. As many have pointed out, HOF talents are available at all points in the lottery and the extreme youth makes them unknowns at this point. The Rockets have no clear cut star and should take this last opportunity to take another shot.

I would be disappointed if this pick is traded for a "win-now" role player or borderline older all-star, floor-raiser type. If that means we convey a high pick next year, so be it. Its a sunk cost at this point.

OremLK and swoosh1014 like this.