1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James: `It's Time For Me To Get What I Deserve'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by askball, Mar 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. askball

askball Member

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1142894780051&call_pageid=969907729483

Toronto Star - While Mike James claims that money won't be paramount when he sits down in the coming off-season to negotiate a new contract, the Raptor's free agent also doesn't want to be underpaid as he is right now.

James, who has blossomed in Toronto, averaging 18.8 points and 5.6 assists, will earn $3.4 million (all figures U.S.) this year. He can earn $3.72 million next season if he invokes his contract option for 2006-07.

Such a scenario appears unlikely considering his growth, and according to the Toronto Star James he's almost certain to declare himself a free agent this summer and seek the security — and cash — of a deal that could go as long as five years and give him a hefty salary hike.

"The money that I make — the multi-year deal or whatever you guys want to call it — just give me what I deserve," James explained.

"Don't underpay me. I'm tired of being called an underachiever. I'm tired of being underpaid. And I've been underpaid since I've been in this game. Now it's time for me to get what I deserve."

"The money don't motivate me. The money don't motivate me at all."

"But the thing is, maybe I do want to wake up one morning and say, `Baby, let's go to the Bahamas. Today.' That costs money. So what if I want to do that? Why shouldn't I have the ability to do that if for six, seven, eight months I give you my heart on the basketball court?"

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am confused. Some people say that it wasn't his potential contract demand that prompted us to trade him. So was it or was it not?

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

you cant go to the Bahamas with 4 million?

4. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I saw Mike James (MJ) on NBA TV last night as he was sitting in studio with Andre Aldridge (AA). He asked MJ about his experience with the Rockets and his thoughts about being traded during training camp. He said he was really hurt because he felt they had a great run last season and he was looking for big things this season. He said he enjoyed playing with the "best big man in the league" and probably the best player in the league in T-Mac and was hoping that he could be the third option. MJ said he was hanging out with T-Mac, and told him that since Yao was the best big man, T-mac was the best swingman, he (MJ) wanted to try to be the best PG in the league. He didn't want to take shots or glory away from Yao & T-Mac b/c they are the best at their positions in the league but just wanted to be an allstar PG especially since the allstar game was in Houston.

He seems like a genuinely good guy and very intelligent basketball wise. He said he, Larry Brown and Chauncey Billups are "boys" and he will always respect LB & Chauncey for teaching him the game and winning a championship together.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with him wanting to maximize his earning power. Isn't that the mindset MOST people in this country have? You argue all you want about him not deserving it but if someone is willing to pay it, why not? Props to MJ for having confidence in himself and doing what he is doing. We (the rox) could have used his scoring, fire and energy this season but in the long run we are better off with Rafer b/c he is more a set-up guy to run the offense.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

According to the Rockets, he was traded at the last minute because of Sura's status became doubtful. They didn't want him as the starting PG. I don't think his money demands for NEXT season had anything to do with us trading him before THIS season. Some people brought that up in this forum as a point of discussion though.

Seems like he contradicts himself when he talks about money. And I'm sorry he can't afford the Bahamas.

6. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Exactly what i thought. Let's him work like a normal person for one day, he'll appreciate more what he already has

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

With the numbers he is putting up this season - James is underpaid.

8. droxford

droxford Member

What confuses me is... When he played here, he played well, but he didn't play as s true point guard. In fact, that's why we traded him for Alston. Alston is more of a true point than James.

I liked Mike James right up to the point where he ran his mouth off at Juwan Howard. Howard is a pro, a veteran, and an excellent example of a quality basketball individual. Of all the people to run your mouth off at, you don't do it to Juwan. I lost respect for James after that.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's telling of how bare Toronto's roster is, more than anything. If anyone pays him above the MLE, I hope they're not looking for a real PG. He can give you buckets and is a good defender, but he's below average at setting others up. I'm personally happier with Alston. Wish we could have had them both for our backcourt.

Evan

10. Rivaldo2181

Yeah that was pretty messed but none of us know why it happened. It could have just been a "in the heat of battle" occurance, but probably has to do with something that happened btwn him and J howard while they were teammates (he doesn't really have a history of acting like that).

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

My respect for Mike James went up 3 tmes after he did that to Juwan. Juwan sucks!!!! And he let Juwan know it.

We needed that toughness and intimidation from Juwan since he plays a PF position. But he is one of the biggest pansies in the league who mans that forward spot. Mike James is 10 times the wariror and he plays the guard position. Shame on Juwan!

Number of playoff games Juwan has helped the Rockets win - 0 (That's gonna stay that way for eternity)

Number of plaoff games Mike james has helped Rockets win - 2 (Game 1 and 6 against the Mavs)

Thank you for telling how it is Mike!

#11 Zboy, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  12. Rivaldo2181

In all fairness, J. Howard did not have the opportunity to play (he was injured remember?) He was a huge part of last season's success b/c he hit that outside jumper consistently. If he were there, we would have won that series! Mainly b/c we wouldn't be playing 4 vs. 5 on offense when Ryan Bowen was in the game (bowen was awesome defensively on Dirk but killed us offensively).

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Rivaldo2181 did a great job of summarizing the Mike James interview. What you can't get from words on a page was the expression on his face and the tone of his voice when he says he was truly and deeply hurt by the trade. (This from a man who had been traded multiple times and has a ring).

You have the right to dislike MJ after the Juwan incident. But I personally diregarded it because I have been watching James as far back as his days with the Celtics. He plays with a passion (and skill) that is in short supply in this years' Rox.

The man was perfectly willing to subjugate his game for the team...he did so in DET by focusing on defensive. And as he stated in the interview, he would have done whatever it took to feature Yao and TMac.

I have accepted the trade and moved on but no one can convince me we would not have been a better team with James than Alston. I know what I see on the court and assigning a "Pass First" title to someone doesn't elevate their status to me.

There are better NBA PG's than Mike James. But I would not have felt that we were outmatched (Parker, Terry, Chris Paul, Billups, Kidd, Cassell etc, etc.) as many times as I do Rafer Alston. The number of times Rafer has outplayed the opposing PG this season is very infrequent.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think you forgot that he may have kids to feed as well. That costs money too. Sprewell agrees.

15. droxford

droxford Member

I agree that I liked Mike James' passion and his talent. Though I didn't feel that he fit into the PG position very well, he certainly has game. And I liked his view that he was willing to feed Yao and T-Mac and play his role.

But I don't like Mike James' mouth.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

While that's fair, I would give this unorthodox counter:
    I don't want to measure PGs by one-on-one matchups. I don't want them to necc outscore the guy they're facing. I want them to set up and run the offense, not be the offense. I think Raefer's been in a somewhat unfair position in that he had maybe a dozen games this year with a full-strength Yao + McGrady to work with. Still, he's an 11 and 7 guy despite not having a single guy on the roster that can make good on the other side of his assists. A/TO of almost 3. His 3 pt shooting (34%) hasn't been good, but aside from that, I'm fine with him.

James has fewer assists (5.6 vs 6.8) and lower A/T (2.3 vs 2.8) and A/FGA (.38 vs .62), and that's what I'm more concerned about. You need a distributor at the point. Sometimes that distributor can also be a scorer, but they HAVE to be able to distribute first and foremost. Mike James doesn't.

Evan

17. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

mike james deserves everything he gets...truly a great player and seems like a genuinely good guy.

18. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Another classic case of CYS (Contract Year Syndrome) with the two symptoms of increased stats come contract renewal time and saying that it's not about the money...

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude has never started either, increased minutes might have a little to do with it.

20. underoverup

underoverup Member

those differences are minimal except the shots per game which is something the rockets could sorely use this year.