1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike DAntoni is a Genius, Harden, Paul Playing Heavy Minutes During Blowouts Wins is Paying off Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets1995, May 23, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Nick Wright made a excellent point on Why Harden, Paul Starter were playing Heavy Minutes in the Regular Season 38 minutes during Blowouts. This was the reason the Playoffs Short rotation. The Guys are conditioned for Playoff Heavy Minutes. The Warriors really weren't planning or cared about heavy minutes and conditioning.

D-rock, Scarface281, gatsby and 8 others like this.
  2. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

And what do you know...there's a method to his madness. These people are professionals for a reason.

D-rock, Scarface281, gatsby and 8 others like this.
  3. Rocketsfan3422

One injury would blow this theory away and make him look like a fool

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

#TeamRhythm over #TeamRest.

We have come full circle.

D-rock, Plowman, tmoney1101 and 5 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

so what does kawhi being out for the spurs make them look like? they're the masters at rest right

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Playing scared you’re gonna lose anyway.

Had to go all out cause of the stakes

IvanLCPM, D-rock, Scarface281 and 4 others like this.
  7. onreego

onreego Member

Love Nick's comment paraphrasing Van Gundy about Steph:

"He's the only player in this league that when he's great he's great. But when he's not great he's hurt"

rockets1995, D-rock, gatsby and 7 others like this.
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i started that rest vs rust thread thinking it would be 50/50 but almost everyone wanted rest.

after they got rest and looked like preseason form in round 1 everyone switched over.

we are a rhythm team. it was clear that it took like 4 games in round 1 to get it back... and both losses to the warriors were after extended breaks. this team needs to play every other night to stay sharp and be at their best.

D-rock, Jontro, adw and 3 others like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

good observations!

Astrodome likes this.
  10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

90% of what we attribute to strategic brilliance is accident. My favorite from last night was CP making his second free throw. When D'Antoni was asked about the thinking there, he basically laughed and said there was no time to think it through.

Jontro and kjayp like this.
  11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

Not sure I buy that theory, maybe theRockets are more used to heavy minutes but our guys looked tired on offense too, just wanted it more. I still would like to see MDA trust Joe or Mbah for a few minutes. Rudy T used to test bench guys and if they performed played them later in the game. Ryno has checked out though, he’s just not a player anymore and has quit.

Jontro likes this.
  13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

MDA has got to go more than 7 deep in Game 5. I don't want our guys to be gassed by Game 7 if we get there. Best case scenario is we can get an early lead allowing MDA to use Luc, Joe or Ryno for a few minutes, and of course Gerald Green. I would love to see Gerald/Luc/Joe/Ryno combine for 30 minutes, and Capela be effective enough to play for 30 minutes. Then you can spread the other 180 minutes evenly between Harden/Paul/Gordon/Ariza/Tucker, for 36 minutes apiece. However, we may want to use the Tuckwagon lineup more, so Tucker may need to go 42 minutes while Capela only goes for 24, or something along those lines.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What he is not saying was I trusted my players, especially my stars to make the right decision. CP3 failed and I’m glad we didn’t pay for it.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More like Luc isn't 100% and they killed Anderson's confidence so they had no choice.

MyLateRegistration and kjayp like this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kenny Smith, Sam Cassell, Scott Brooks were all really good are quick and great decision makers too. I recently watched Scott Brooks highlights man he was really quick and his handles was so good. Sam Cassell, I saw a lot over the years. Kenny I didn't know much. I wish we had Point Guard depth.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

thats great...
    me sitting in my living room watching was like 'wtf! u bounce that off the back iron and let that last .5 second dribble away...' ....fundamental....
    nice to know MDA was on top of it... smh....

18. mockster

mockster Member

What if the game was close, then would it even matter.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't think the minutes have anything to do with it. Benches always shorten in the postseason, and it's only been the Warriors with an embarrassment of talented players that have had the fortune of going deep into their bench in the playoffs. A lot of that, as we're learning, is because they haven't faced competition that has really exposed their bench, and before last night, we really hadn't either. But last night changed everything, and I hope we keep this up. Looney was a liability on the floor, Young was a joke, and Bell was abused on D. Livingston was the only serviceable bench player and Kerr was forced to keep those others on the bench - if we keep playing with the same level of intensity, I suspect those guys will continue riding the bench.

Jake Tower likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The whole quote was what if he missed the second one completely and they get to inbound. If they fouled on the inbound, what if they get off a shooting motion at the three point line. Or what if...