1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mihm=Gone?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rocketman95, May 9, 2000.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

As you may know, my source who is close with the Mihms informed me a month ago that he would stay at UT. However, about a week or so ago, he informed me that Mihm wants to stay, but his parents want him to leave.

Now, Mihm will "declare" for the draft, but will not hire an agent. He wants to see how the lottery turns out, and then he'll make up his mind positively.

Now, here's the problem I see with that. I thought that even if you didn't hire an agent, if you told the NBA that you were going pro, you had to stick to that. I didn't believe that until someone (I can't recall, but it was some poster I trusted) stated this.

If this isn't true, I still have the feeling he'll be back. I wouldn't take a chance on playing for the Clippers.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here is the CBA verbatim concerning underclassmen and foreign players. Have fun with this, it is not as easy to read as the FAQ.
    http://www.nba.com/draft99/draft_rules.html

Also, go here to see how many guys "Withdrew" in recent years. I assume "withdrew" means doing exactly what you source says Mihm wants to do.
    http://www.nba.com/news/early_entry_history.html

Notice how Lamar Odom "Withdrew" in 1998. And remember how he tried to do it last year!? But in 1999, he already had an agent.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 09, 2000).]

3. MManal

MManal Member

Let me preface this by saying that I am a Longhorn fan and student at UT. I dont mean to rub any of my fellow Longhorn fans the wrong way with this as this is pretty controversial. However, I think its need to be said.

Chris Mihm is making a huge mistake if he decides to stay at Texas one more season. If he goes pro this season he is a guaranteed top 3 pick. Writers in Austin autmatically assume that Mihm will be the #1 pick in 2001 if he stays. Here is a quote from an article in the Statesman, "And he'll be the prestigious first pick of the 2001 draft. Who's to stop him, Brendan Haywood?" I hope for Mihm's sake someone is explaining to him the true implications of coming out in 2001. I hope the people that advise him are looking at the potential of the 2001 draft field. Just in the college ranks, there are three talented 7 footers in Brendan Haywood, Loren Woods and Dan Gadzuric. Who knows how much each of them could improve with another season of work. They may not, but if they do, they could be battling Mihm. This season, the next best 7 footer is Pryzbilla. Mihm has a straight shot to being a top 3 pick this summer. Also, to add to the field of centers, there are two potential big men that could go pro out of HS in Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry. Eddy Curry is already being labelled the next coming of Shaq. Thats potentially 5 legit NBA big men in the 2001 draft. The talk of the 2001 draft being stacked is no hype, that draft is the real thing. Adding to those 5 players, just off the top of my head I can think of plenty more legit talent, Terence Morris, Eddie Griffin, Gerald Wallace, Shane Battier, DeShawn Stevenson possibly, etc.

Also, they put the question to Texas coach Rick Barnes about Mihm coming back to win a national championship. He responded that if that is the only reason, there are too many "variables" for that. I would love to see Texas win a national championship in basketball, but we have to be a little realistic here. There is an excellent recruiting class coming in but its going to take time for this team to really develop. I dont think Texas is even the best team in the Big 12 right now, with Stevenson going to Kansas. They are going to field an absolutely loaded team with Stevenson, Gooden, Collison, Gregory, Axtell, Chenowith, etc.

As much as I would like to see the Horns win and develop a strong basketball tradition instead of being a football only school, Mihm shouldnt jeopardize his NBA future over it. There is just way too much potential NBA talent in the 2001 draft esp with big men. If something does not work out, it could be disastrous. My advice to him would be to go pro this summer and be a sure fire top 3 pick.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Speaking of Axtell, I read somewhere that he may not be going back to Kansas. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

My heart wants Mihm to stay, but he'd probably be dumb not to leave.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)